Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

changing the category

Posted by jaffar 
August 28, 2020 03:41AM
Hello, old friends. checking in after a long time.

After eight happy years with the Z4, the end of the world came up with a good opportunity for me to buy a used (100k km) X3 so I went for it.
It's a huge, heavy mule, engine 2.0 diesel, xDrive, plenty of fancy useless options like external M Packet, very good for being damaged during offroading smiling smiley
The pleasure to drive is close to none (especially compared to the Z4...), but I'm happy with it since it opens up more possibilities of exploring.
I'm also VERY impressed with the xDrive. With summer road tires, it performs surprisingly well offroad, even in mud, wet rocks and wet grass.

The quality is shit, as it is with most new BMWs. I've already replaced a wheel bearing, several rubber bushings and there's in intermittent error in the airbag system. The BMW solution is "replace module", cost 1500 EUR smiling smiley)
The famous EGR has been replaced twice already and the third time is happening soon.
I was shocked when I tried to do a U-turn on a 4 lane road and I needed about 3.5 lanes to do it smiling smiley

All in all, I'm marginally content with it. Looking for a secondary garage for the Z4, since it doesn't look like I will find a buyer any time soon.

And as it usually happens, the Z4 is unhappy when I'm neglecting it, so it decided to collapse the entire roof cloth (on the hard top), while sitting in an undergroung garage for ~2 weeks. As far as I've researched, there is no real solution to this, other than replacing the entire cloth, which will obviously never look like original sad smiley

I hope y'all are good and safe.

[attachment 254 IMG_8089s.jpg]
[attachment 255 IMG_8504s.jpg]

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8089s.jpg (220.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_8504s.jpg (83.3 KB)
August 28, 2020 07:26AM
When I went to a shop to have the headliner in my E-30 hardtop replaced, they matched the fabric perfectly. The install of the new fabric left a little to be desired but the appearance was identical to the original.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 28, 2020 07:39AM
I'm probably going to attempt to reglue it myself, since I want to sell the car and I don't want to spend more than necessary. The local shops don't do a good job anyway sad smiley

I don't get why the liner comes undone after such a short time (14 years), especially on a top that's almost always been inside (stored during summer, garage in winter when I don't drive the car much anyway).

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
September 02, 2020 07:52PM
Often the fabric has a foam backing that is glued to the inside of the car. This foam oxidizes gradually and turns to mush and cannot really bond to any new application of glue.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login