Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Turbine Powered E30

Posted by Ferdinand 
October 17, 2018 06:20PM
Some-russians-built-a-mig-jet-fighter-powered-bmw-e30

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcJCY8kXEkw[/video]
October 17, 2018 11:02PM
I think the E30 must be very high up on the list of car models to have had the most engine swaps worldwide. People have put all sorts of crazy engines into them. This one is one of the funniest ones I have seen so far.
October 19, 2018 08:19PM
Ove,
You are correct about the different engines installed in E-30. At the "E-30 picnic" I have seen a lot of odd ones. Currently I have a S-50 in mine.
Wonderful improvement.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 19, 2018 11:48PM
Bob in Everett
Ove,
You are correct about the different engines installed in E-30. At the "E-30 picnic" I have seen a lot of odd ones. Currently I have a S-50 in mine.
Wonderful improvement.

Yes, I have seen plenty of S50 converted E30s. That engine works surprisingly well in the car. Is it the S50B30 or S50B32?
A guy I know has a tuned S54 in his E30, making it very fast indeed. He has an E46 ABS brake controller in it as well.

In Norway we have E30s with all kinds of M3 and M5 engines with and without turbos. Some even have the M5 V10 engine with turbos.
October 21, 2018 12:52PM
Ove,
I had to do some research to answer your question as to which engine I have. It is partly due to my poor memory, the confusion, anyway. Turns out that I have an M52B28 with S52 cams. It came from a 1996 E-39 528. Got modified by a guy intending to put it in his own E-30 318. However life interfered with his project and he needed money more than an engine mod. I took on his accumulation of conversion parts and had a friend that has done several engine swaps make the install for me. Mostly it works very well but there was an issue with the alignment of the drive shaft and transmission. The flex disc failed quickly twice before I realized what the problem was. I fabricated a new trans mount to more accurately align and it has been good so far.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - Trans mount.jpg (79.7 KB)
October 21, 2018 01:38PM
Not as powerful as the S50, but still powerful enough for an E30, and a lighter engine. Is the gearbox tilted to the right to fit?
October 24, 2018 12:47PM
Yes, the gearbox is tilted due to the larger engine being more tilted than the M20. The most difficult part of the installation of the M50 is the exhaust. It needed a hand made adapter.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2018 12:48PM by Bob in Everett.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login