Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An object lesson in listening to experience

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
Recently changed the timing belt i my 1990 sedan. It had been 5 years or so since I changed it last but not a lot of miles so it was not badly stretched. Just a little loose. After the normal struggles with the belt and etc. got it done but decided not to change the tension pulley. Did not have a lot of miles on it and it seemed ok.
After about 50 miles on the new belt a noticeable clicking sound appeared at the front of the engine. I went back through the valve adjustment to be sure it was not some source of the errant clicking. Still loud clicking.
After getting down to the belt again, found the tension pulley bearing was in fact wobbly. So the moral of the story is, change that pulley every time you change the belt so you will not have to do it over again. I have changed it with the new belt in the past several years but this time so few miles, what the heck....
I have read that this pulley could fail and that changing it with the new belt is the best thing to do. Just wanted to save a few bucks so made a lot of extra work for myself. For any of you who have done this job, you know what a pain in the back it is. Now I have done it twice in a week.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login