Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rear wheel bearing change

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
January 13, 2022 07:04AM
I have the new bearing in hand to replace the noisy left rear. The Bentley manual is not very clear on how one removes the locking washer from the CV shaft. Does anyone know of a UTube video on rear wheel bearing change?

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 21, 2022 11:18AM
Removing the locking washer was difficult and destroyed it in the process. A chisel to get under an edge and bend it so some needle nose pliers could grab it was necessary. Definitely had to have a new one to install.
The bearing change is finally completed. The noise reduction is amazing.
The bearing was very difficult to remove. A slide hammer was not successful in moving it at all.
I had to heat the trailing arm around the bearing to 200 deg F and still had difficulty moving the bearing with a puller rental tool from the parts store.
Similarly, had to put the new bearing in the freezer for an hour and heat the trailing arm to get it installed with the rental tool.
Interestingly, also put the axle flange in the freezer for a while and heated the bearing a little. The flange slid right in and when the temp equalized, it was tight.
None of the videos or instructions indicated how difficult this was to disassemble.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 11:22AM by Bob in Lake Havasu.
April 08, 2022 08:37AM
Now that the noise of the bearing is gone, I can hear another noise that might be the differential. I did notice how much oily dirt was all over the diff when working on getting axle CV off it. Now it occurs to me that since it did not appear that the diff was dripping any fresh oil...it might have already leaked out. Maybe there is no oil left in it.

Bob in Lake Havasu
June 01, 2022 08:25AM
Finally got the fill plug out of the diff and there is adequate oil in it so will leave it alone for now.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login