Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heater fan failed

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
August 04, 2020 08:49AM
My 1990 sedan heater fan has failed. The motor runs but is really noisy. I think the fan must have disintegrated while operating at the high speed. So I am looking for a replacement and some hints at getting the debris out of the AC. Is there a replacement for just the fan or must the whole assembly be replaced?

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 11, 2020 04:35PM
I've replaced mine a couple of times and I've never seen anything for sale besides the whole assembly. So far, I've managed to avoid shelling out the big bucks for a new one, but the boneyard options are getting pretty rare. Open the housing and have a look. You might get lucky and find that the fan is rubbing the housing and hasn't broken. I had a fan break once and the vibration was so bad I thought there was something major wrong with the car. If you're just hearing some noise it might be a cheap and relatively easy fix.

John
August 12, 2020 10:17PM
Unfortunately, it appears to be the severe vibration type failure. I see on pelican parts I can get a new one for about $90. I might have to go that way. I checked a local pic-a-part place and they had none of the E-30 model cars within 100 miles.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 13, 2020 04:52PM
Bob in Everett
Unfortunately, it appears to be the severe vibration type failure. I see on pelican parts I can get a new one for about $90. I might have to go that way. I checked a local pic-a-part place and they had none of the E-30 model cars within 100 miles.

$90 is a great deal. I was seeing more like $350. I should probably buy one too while I can so I'll be ready when my latest boneyard fan explodes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login