Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

325ix project

Posted by Kodiaktr 
May 28, 2019 08:36PM
About a year ago I bought my Volkswagen not long thereafter I decided I hated German engineering. I have had so many excessive problems with this car and the dealer that insists I get it maintained and fixed by them (I hate them so much I have sworn off ever talking to a dealership again). I did a lot of researching as to what my next car would be. I wasn't in a rush since my vw cc was operational and reliable enough for the next couple years at least. I love having a project to work on (I've built and sold a few custom carborated bikes) and so I didn't care to much on having a car that sat for a few years. I also wanted it to be older say 80's or 90's to avoid the more complex cars that I'm not super used to working on. In my research I decided on a few things listed as 1) I wanted an inline six for its stability, larger space under the hood for a bi turbo system, and more power potential than an inline 4 (or box 4 for that matter). 2) I wanted awd because the roads in Utah are spooky sometimes. 3) I wanted a rare car that wasn't flashy unless you knew what you were looking at. 4) I wanted the car to be common enough that it would be easy to find after-market and performance upgrades. 5) I wanted the car to have a cult following (optional). The first car I came across was a (German) 1988 BMW 325ix. I loved the idea so much I didn't even get bothered by the fact that it was German or that it was genuinely going to be hard to find one for sale. I stopped my research there and threw my motorcycle mechanic books into the oceans (good place for greasy books) and bought a book for every part of this car. I'm invested. I have seen a few cars come up for sale and sadly have not been able to jump on one because my apartment complex has "rules". So the only thing holding me back right now is the fact that I have to buy a house like and adult. I'm about there and will probably have a house in September. Then I will immediately look to buy a 325ix. Let me know what you guys think. What should I focus this car towards? I want it to be daily driver compatible...but like...also a competitor on the track. AWD makes me want to focus the build more towards gravel or snow rally. Any input? Suggestions? Is a reasonable hp goal around 400? Reading material? Other forums that are more specific towards race car builds? Thanks for reading this novel.
May 30, 2019 08:28AM
In another thread there are details of the E-30 picnic in the Seattle area coming up June 23. There will be over 200 cars there and many modded with larger engines. Would be a great place to shop as many are for sale. Also ideas of what can be done with engine swaps.
[www.r3vlimited.com]

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2019 08:29AM by Bob in Everett.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login