Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automatic Trans seal replacement

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
January 13, 2023 08:06AM
The E-30 sedan rear seal on the automatic transmission has been leaking for a long time. It was easier to tolerate than repair as most of you know. The exhaust has to come off and a lot of other stuff before access to the seal can be accomplished.
The day finally came to replace the muffler so the requisite parts were procured to change the trans seal as well. New guibo, trans mounts and shaft seal as well as the cat back muffler.
The failure of the seal had serious consequences for all the rubber parts over several years. The trans fluid dissolved the transmission mounts which put the alignment of the drive shaft way out of limits so the guibo was shredded. The one part I should have also replace is the mid support bearing for the drive shaft. It surely suffered for the misalignment of the shaft.
So, to replace an $8 part, it took my son and I most of two days of under car work and the consequential damage of other parts was almost $100 due to oil leaks. The guibo probably would have needed replacement at some point anyway. Good thing the muffler failed is one way to look at it....

Bob in Lake Havasu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login