Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Advanced

1990 cabrio

Posted by Bob in Everett 
September 18, 2011 12:34PM
Just putting out some feelers on selling my favorite car. It is in nice condition for having 211,000 miles. It has been my daily drive for the past 7 years and runs perfectly. I am considering retiring in a few months and have too many cars to move to where my wife says we are going.

The top is in great condition as it was replaced a few years ago. The interior has the typical stitching failure on the top of the rear seat back. Repairs I have seen for this are not very desirable so I just worked some material in under the leather to cover the foam from further damage. The driver seat has one small repair on the left bolster, otherwise no other problems. Carpets are perfect. Dash is perfect. A few rock marks on the hood and under the bumper. The panel above the bumper has been repainted recently. Typical half dozen or so small door dents on the sides but no chipped or rusted places.
Koni shocks all around, and other wise bone stock.

Just got back from a trip through Glacier Park with it and would take it anywhere for a road trip.

Since these cars are getting more rare, I'm thinking $5500 since it really needs nothing.

Bob in Everett
Attachments:
open | download - logan pass2.jpg (306.2 KB)
November 18, 2011 11:02PM
Not getting any comments or encouragement with this. Maybe I should post more pictures.

Bob in Everett
Attachments:
open | download - small size.jpg (411.2 KB)
open | download - 1990 rear view.jpg (141.5 KB)
open | download - front.jpg (134.5 KB)
January 07, 2012 01:43AM
Hi Bob,
I think your car looks awesome! Maybe it's because it looks just like mine! lol. I am going to try to contact you soon, I live near Tacoma so we are practically neighbors!
Art
January 09, 2012 12:02AM
Hi Art,
Living near Tacoma must mean you can visit Griot's garage any time you like. What color is your cabrio? As you probably can tell from other posts, I really like driving mine. I do not often go to Tacoma, occasionally go through Tacoma but have not become very familiar with it.

Bob

Bob in Everett
Attachments:
open | download - logan pass2.jpg (306.2 KB)
January 10, 2012 12:16AM
Hey Bob,
As a matter of fact I work about a mile from Griot's. I wish I had more time during the day cause I would love to go more often. My car is black and looks a lot like yours. I also enjoy driving mine. I just got it on the road a couple of months ago. Thanks for your replies on my other posts.
Art
June 13, 2012 12:08AM
Art,
Are you going to the E-30 picnic on Sunday? Hope to see your car there.

Bob in Everett
June 01, 2013 11:14PM
Well, I may be in tears soon. A co-worker has been striken with my car and offered me full price. It now has 227,xxx miles on it but still runs nice. I just got back from a trip to Montana with it. The weather was too cool to enjoy the top down much but the driving and scenery was as awsome as ever.

I am sure I will regret selling this car more than I regret selling my 51 Mercury Woody wagon years ago. I have enjoyed the A/C and cruise control.

Not to be completely without a cabrio but the spare one is more of a garage queen and I would not want to take it as many places. The value of these is increasing for sure. I plan to be at the E-30 picnic on June 30th to socialize with all the other nuts about cars people.

Bob in Everett
August 17, 2013 03:11PM
I am still driving this car every day. Recently replaced the head due to coolant in the oil. Now it is doing well. Compression 180 on all cylinders. The sale did not go through with the co-worker. I was pretty conflicted about it anyway. Not ready to give it up yet, I guess. I get lots of compliments on it every where I go. Maybe I should just plan on driving it till I can no longer drive.

Bob in Everett
November 05, 2013 09:00AM
Bob in Everett
I get lots of compliments on it every where I go. Maybe I should just plan on driving it till I can no longer drive.
That's what I would do. smiling smiley

November 07, 2013 11:54AM
Bob in Everett
I am still driving this car every day. Recently replaced the head due to coolant in the oil. Now it is doing well. Compression 180 on all cylinders. The sale did not go through with the co-worker. I was pretty conflicted about it anyway. Not ready to give it up yet, I guess. I get lots of compliments on it every where I go. Maybe I should just plan on driving it till I can no longer drive.

Sounds a good plan to me!
(y)
July 01, 2015 12:11AM
I am in for the long haul with this car it appears. I have obtained an S-50 with S-52 cams and it is in a shop being fitted into my car. Supposed to have a lot of extra power. I am rounding up some of the last few parts needed to get it up and running. Maybe in a week or so...can drive.

Bob in Everett
July 01, 2015 12:18AM
Bob in Everett
I am in for the long haul with this car it appears. I have obtained an S-50 with S-52 cams and it is in a shop being fitted into my car. Supposed to have a lot of extra power. I am rounding up some of the last few parts needed to get it up and running. Maybe in a week or so...can drive.

Isn't the S52 a lot less powerful than the S50?
July 01, 2015 10:31PM
Well, there is some complication with the S52 but apparently when converted to OBD 1 with the proper ECU it is more power. Not sure just what the specifics are myself but am taking the recommendation of some who have made the conversion in several cars.
Good to hear from you Ove.

smiling smiley

Bob in Everett
July 16, 2015 10:24PM
Ove,
The "new" motor is installed and looks pretty good. I drove for a few minutes but gave it back to the mechanic to replace the rear suspension bushings. There is some over steer due to the mileage it has on it. With the extra power, I am concerned to drive it without replacing these bushings.
:biggrin: The extra power is incredible. Almost scary.

Bob in Everett
July 17, 2015 01:00AM
Bob in Everett
Ove,
The "new" motor is installed and looks pretty good. I drove for a few minutes but gave it back to the mechanic to replace the rear suspension bushings. There is some over steer due to the mileage it has on it. With the extra power, I am concerned to drive it without replacing these bushings.
:biggrin: The extra power is incredible. Almost scary.

Hold on to your driver's licence with you newfound performance! :-)
March 29, 2017 11:09PM
Just an update Ove, no speeding tickets yet. Running well and reliable. I did have an issue with the guibo failing twice. The first time I considered it may be my fault but the second time could not have been. I got to checking closely and found that the alignment of the engine/transmission to the drive shaft was out of limits. I had to fabricate a new transmission mount to get them within specifications. Been driving it several weeks now and need to check but no obvious issues yet. May have cured it. The engine appears to be setting just a little off alignment with the frame. It may be due to some front damage from a former owner that was not properly repaired. I hope it is close enough to keep it from failing. Sure fun to drive.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 3 on September 29, 2015
Record Number of Guests: 116 on November 11, 2017