Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

open links in a new tab/window

Posted by daniel 
December 07, 2008 07:35PM
i am not trying to bombard with suggestions, just trying to think of some basic things.

December 07, 2008 07:49PM
daniel
i am not trying to bombard with suggestions, just trying to think of some basic things.
Please, bombard away. That's the only way we'll get this thing improved.

Links now open in another window. This behavior is not without its own annoyances, so I reserve the right to switch it back if people are bugged by nasty window buildup on their desktops. smiling smiley

December 07, 2008 07:51PM
for browsers with tabs it should open in a new tab, not window. at least thats how it is working for me in google chrome. i figured there might still be some people using IE 6 for some reason, though.

December 08, 2008 08:30AM
I thought this was a browser, not a forum/website setting?

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 08, 2008 09:15AM
Cab Treadway

it's actually a website setting. certain websites do it, others don't.

December 08, 2008 09:19AM
daniel
Cab Treadway

It can be over-ridden by the browser, though, no? I know that's one of the settings in Firefox.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 08, 2008 09:24AM
Cab Treadway
daniel
Cab Treadway

It can be over-ridden by the browser, though, no? I know that's one of the settings in Firefox.

possibly. i think the setting that is within the website might only effect links going to another website, or something to that effect. usually when you are browsing a website and you go "deeper" into the page, so to speak, it stays in the same window/tab. when you click an external link, though, it is up to the site to denote it as external, and then hands it over to the browser to throw it into a new tab or window (from my experience). i recently joined another forum upon its creation, and by default it opened everything in the same tab instead of opening a new one. the site owner/admin had to make a change for links to work properly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login