Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crap...that's fixed but my thread views defaulted and I can't get it back the way it was :X

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
Can't override the control center defaults any more...going to be pissed sad smiley
Archeo-peteriX
Can't override the control center defaults any more...going to be pissed sad smiley

i have been messing around with the forum template settings, and i haven't really figured out exactly how everything works. the "default" template still has a green theme on the home page but black and grey within threads, and when i switch the black and grey template, it gets all wacky in other ways. anyway, i am sticking to the default one. the front page isn't supposed to be green though, right?

Archeo-peteriX
Fixed. Sorry about that.

I had installed a mod that's supposed to allow anonymous users to use threaded mode like registered users can. It didn't work, but I learned that wasn't it's biggest problem. As you discovered, it broke the threaded option for everybody! So I have turned off that option, threaded view works again, and anonymous users can get used to the flat view.

daniel
the "default" template still has a green theme on the home page
That should be gone. If you're still seeing the green headings, your browser has probably cached the little green image. Try clearing your browser's cache.

when i switch the black and grey template, it gets all wacky in other ways
Yeah, that's one of the original canned templates that doesn't work with Chrome or Safari. I should just get rid of it.

anyway, i am sticking to the default one. the front page isn't supposed to be green though, right?
Right. Good plan. I'm trying make the default template the perfect template for everyone. smiling smiley

Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
Fixed. Sorry about that.

I had installed a mod that's supposed to allow anonymous users to use threaded mode like registered users can. It didn't work, but I learned that wasn't it's biggest problem. As you discovered, it broke the threaded option for everybody! So I have turned off that option, threaded view works again, and anonymous users can get used to the flat view.

Thanks Dave. I knew it was probably something like that and you would sort it out grinning smiley

There are bound to be more glitches as you build the site and tweek things with as much functionality as you can squeeze in.

Keep on keeping on!

I won't be taking the OBC out of the car today...-12ºC with high winds and a chill factor near -20ºC sad smiley ...BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Archeo-peteriX
I won't be taking the OBC out of the car today...-12ºC with high winds and a chill factor near -20ºC sad smiley ...BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
I dunno, sounds like typical winter day around here.

Wimp. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
I dunno, sounds like typical winter day around here.

Wimp. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yep...this is normally the banana belt with mean annual temps falling between 40 and 70 degrees. Blast of cold like this are a big jolt to our temperate systems winking smiley
I spent an hour last night checking out Costa Rica smiling bouncing smiley
Dave_G
... doesn't work with Chrome or Safari.
To reiterate, if it's something that doesn't work for one particular browser but works in others, then it's most likely an HTML code validation error. It's not the browser's fault, but a fault in the webpage's HTML code. Some browser's are better at handling coding errors, whereas others will choke on the same error.

For example, there is a recurring error in HTML code in the way the pages are coming up right now.

This is in the bit that displays your 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc rating under your avatar:

<td class="message-user-info"
                <div class="postcount">
		  3rd gear

Note the ">" closing tag is missing on the <td> at the end of the first line.

That's probably not a fatal error as most modern browsers come bloated heavy with lots of error-detection routines, but something like that could trip a simpler browser that's more dependent on being fed valid html code.

Running all your pages through an HTML validator to detect such errors goes a long way to solving problems such as this, where the page displays fine in one browser but not another.
Ferdinand
To reiterate, if it's something that doesn't work for one particular browser but works in others, then it's most likely an HTML code validation error. It's not the browser's fault, but a fault in the webpage's HTML code.
Yes, I know. Unfortunately the errors you're seeing are coded into the canned Phorum templates themselves. Some of the templates are worse than others, and I will probably simply disable the worst ones. I am in the process of rewriting my own template based on one that at least works out of the box with all browsers, even though it still shows errors when you run it through an HTML validator. The default template is the result of that work. Unfortunately rewriting the code is a long process, as I first need to learn how the various Phorum PHP files work together to even determine where the incorrect HTML code occurs. Eventually I'll fix it so the code is valid, but getting it working in the first place was my top prioroty.

There are other problems that are entirely browser related, particularly the handling of CSS styles. Perfectly valid HTML code can still appear strange in certain browsers because of the way they interpret CSS styles. IE is especially bad at this, and with almost every version IE changes how it interprets styles, so I need to check it with IE8, IE7, and IE6. (Any IE5 users are out of luck.) There are horrible hacks that developers have created to make web sites look the same in IE as in other browsers that follow HTML and CSS standards..

Ferdinand
Dave_G
... doesn't work with Chrome or Safari.
To reiterate, if it's something that doesn't work for one particular browser but works in others, then it's most likely an HTML code validation error. It's not the browser's fault, but a fault in the webpage's HTML code. Some browser's are better at handling coding errors, whereas others will choke on the same error.

For example, there is a recurring error in HTML code in the way the pages are coming up right now.

This is in the bit that displays your 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc rating under your avatar:

<td class="message-user-info"
                <div class="postcount">
		  3rd gear

Note the ">" closing tag is missing on the <td> at the end of the first line.

That's probably not a fatal error as most modern browsers come bloated heavy with lots of error-detection routines, but something like that could trip a simpler browser that's more dependent on being fed valid html code.

Running all your pages through an HTML validator to detect such errors goes a long way to solving problems such as this, where the page displays fine in one browser but not another.

I downloaded one of the HTML cleaner/validators you recommended and it has worked quite well. So far I have been able to fix and view linked photos that don't show because of incorrect leading or trailing tags. The cleaner either adds or removes the offening code and the pics pop right up smiling smiley

A great little tool!

I have also noticed how poorly written many of the sites I visit are...a couple show hundreds of warnings eye popping smiley
Dave_G
Unfortunately the errors you're seeing are coded into the canned Phorum templates themselves. Some of the templates are worse than others, and I will probably simply disable the worst ones. I am in the process of rewriting my own template based on one that at least works out of the box with all browsers, even though it still shows errors when you run it through an HTML validator. The default template is the result of that work. Unfortunately rewriting the code is a long process, as I first need to learn how the various Phorum PHP files work together to even determine where the incorrect HTML code occurs. Eventually I'll fix it so the code is valid, but getting it working in the first place was my top priority.
Okay, sorry to keep ragging on you about this. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

You're doing a GREAT job!
hooray, my forum is black again. screw green.

daniel
hooray, my forum is black again. screw green.

Yeh, it's looking really good grinning smiley
I miss the green. I like green. I'm wearing a green shirt today. hot smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Cab Treadway
OK, Cab, this is for you:

Dave_G
Cab Treadway
OK, Cab, this is for you:

Hmm. Not bad. Maybe a little different shade of green than I prefer.

I like this green. We didn't really love the car, but I liked the color.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Cab Treadway
Dave_G
Cab Treadway
Hmm. Not bad. Maybe a little different shade of green than I prefer.

I like this green. We didn't really love the car, but I liked the color.

how did you get those wheels to fit on that car? did they make them for e34s also? come to think of it, i have seen an e32 with them...

daniel

how did you get those wheels to fit on that car? did they make them for e34s also? come to think of it, i have seen an e32 with them...

They were replica wheels. They were on it when we bought the car from a friend of mine. Not a great car ownership experience. Nice engine, though. If it had been the 6-speed, I would have tried harder to make it work. Or at least I should have pulled out the engine and kept it for a future E30 insertion project. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login