Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a thought

Posted by wodcutr 
February 03, 2009 07:32AM
On the old BEN there was a way of tracking how many people had read your specific post, not just the first one. It certainly isn't necessary, but I liked being able to see how many times that post had been read. Any one else notice this too?
February 03, 2009 07:35AM
wodcutr
On the old BEN there was a way of tracking how many people had read your specific post, not just the first one. It certainly isn't necessary, but I liked being able to see how many times that post had been read. Any one else notice this too?

It's already there in the black bar at the top...Subject Author Views Posted B)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 07:37AM by Archeo-peteriX.
February 03, 2009 07:41AM
Archeo-peteriX
That's only the case if you're using the threaded view. The flat view doesn't show that, and my guess is that most people are using the flat view.

I'll try to see of there's an easy way to show those numbers in the flat view.

February 03, 2009 07:41AM
Like I said, there was specific tracking for each individual post, not just the main or first one.
February 03, 2009 09:58AM
Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
That's only the case if you're using the threaded view. The flat view doesn't show that, and my guess is that most people are using the flat view.

I'll try to see of there's an easy way to show those numbers in the flat view.

Get rid of the flat view...it's confusing if the poster doesn't 'quote' what/who he/she is replying to.
February 03, 2009 10:21AM
Archeo-peteriX
Get rid of the flat view...it's confusing if the poster doesn't 'quote' what/who he/she is replying to.
Actually, Peter, I think you will remain in a small minority on this issue. smiling smiley Most forum software these days doesn't even offer threaded view. I chose Phorum largely for that feature, just for you. winking smiley

I agree that quoting is just good etiquette, but as long as we're talking about etiquette, I will voice my pet peeve and beg that when people quote, please trim your quotes. You don't need to repeat the whole message -- we've already read it. Thank you. smiling smiley

February 03, 2009 12:54PM
the threaded view confuses me. how do you reply to more than one answer when you have to click reply on just one post?

with the flat view, one can just quote or multiquote the people they are responding to.

February 03, 2009 04:54PM
Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
Actually, Peter, I think you will remain in a small minority on this issue. smiling smiley Most forum software these days doesn't even offer threaded view. I chose Phorum largely for that feature, just for you. winking smiley...

Thanks, I appreciate you helping out an old man grinning smiley
February 03, 2009 04:58PM
daniel
the threaded view confuses me. how do you reply to more than one answer when you have to click reply on just one post?

with the flat view, one can just quote or multiquote the people they are responding to.

I care enough about the post/poster I'm responding to that I dedicate my reply to that one post/poster eye rolling smiley
February 03, 2009 08:12PM
sometimes other people say something very similar. this is the situation i am talking about. there is no reason to say the same thing twice by replying to each similar post.

February 03, 2009 09:13PM
daniel
sometimes other people say something very similar. this is the situation i am talking about. there is no reason to say the same thing twice by replying to each similar post.

Well then; aren't you glad Dave set us up with software that gives us all the options grinning smiley

My preference is actually a hybrid format. I like the main posts in a flat forum then those to be threaded when I go into them. B)
April 28, 2009 06:39AM
Archeo-peteriX
Dave_G
Archeo-peteriX
Actually, Peter, I think you will remain in a small minority on this issue. smiling smiley Most forum software these days doesn't even offer threaded view. I chose Phorum largely for that feature, just for you. winking smiley...

Thanks, I appreciate you helping out an old man grinning smiley

And a slightly less old one. I am not at all interested in reading a flat view forum.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login