Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spell check

Posted by wodcutr 
January 20, 2009 08:48AM
I remember lots of people getting pretty irate about bad spelling in posts. If you could add a real spell checker in the abc button instead of the strike through it would be much better! I do not know how difficult that would be to do, but seeing how I prefer to use big words that I sometimes can not spell it would be quite helpful. I prefer to use larger words than the four letter ones I found on R3V! Anyhow, just a suggestion that might help all who suffer from spellitis as I do!
January 20, 2009 10:39AM
Great idea. There is now a "check spelling" button next to the preview and post buttons.

January 20, 2009 11:02AM
You are the mansmileys with beer
January 20, 2009 11:56AM
mozilla firefox and google chrome have built in spell checkers for anything you type in the browser. they are also superior browsers to internet explorer, which i am guessing is what you are currently using.

January 21, 2009 01:30PM
Yes you are right I am using IE. My system is old and I am not up to speed on the latest software. I think I am running a 333 chip with as much memory the mother board can have. I need a newer computer and was looking into purchasing it when I ran into my health issues...needless to say the doctors have gotten all of my excess funds. My brother in law was looking at building me a new system and wanted me to try lenox as my OS. Maybe if I do that I will also look at firefox too. Thanks for the info!
January 21, 2009 02:23PM
wodcutr
Yes you are right I am using IE. My system is old and I am not up to speed on the latest software. I think I am running a 333 chip with as much memory the mother board can have. I need a newer computer and was looking into purchasing it when I ran into my health issues...needless to say the doctors have gotten all of my excess funds. My brother in law was looking at building me a new system and wanted me to try lenox as my OS. Maybe if I do that I will also look at firefox too. Thanks for the info!

what OS do you currently have?

also, for underpowered systems, linux is a really good solution (and comes with firefox built in).

January 21, 2009 07:43PM
daniel
wodcutr

also, for underpowered systems, linux is a really good solution (and comes with firefox built in).

I am using XP home. Maybe I should load linux on this one and check it out. I'm scared all my other windows based programs won't function properly.
January 21, 2009 08:36PM
wodcutr
daniel
wodcutr

I am using XP home. Maybe I should load linux on this one and check it out. I'm scared all my other windows based programs won't function properly.
None of your Windows based programs will work under Linux. But there are Linux based programs for most of the stuff that runs on Windows and it's all free.

If you are using CAD programs you may be out of luck for comparable and compatible ones though.
January 21, 2009 09:32PM
wodcutr
daniel
wodcutr

what kind of windows programs are you using? as Peter mentioned, there is usually a perfect substitute for any windows software, and it is free.

give firefox a shot on your current system... [www.mozilla.com]

January 22, 2009 11:14AM
I mostly use quicken and quickbooks for my business and word and excel for my contracts and spreadsheet data. Would I still be able to use these programs as I have a lot of info saved over the years and would be lost without those files.
January 22, 2009 12:23PM
wodcutr
I mostly use quicken and quickbooks for my business and word and excel for my contracts and spreadsheet data. Would I still be able to use these programs as I have a lot of info saved over the years and would be lost without those files.

Open Office will give you full Microsoft Office capabilities and compatibility.

A quick search found that both Quicken and Quickbooks are available for the Linux platform...you're good to go I think smiling smiley

I, on the other hand, am stuck with Windows because none of my engineering/ECAD programs have been written or ported to Linux sad smiley
January 22, 2009 01:30PM
Archeo-peteriX
wodcutr

Open Office will give you full Microsoft Office capabilities and compatibility.

A quick search found that both Quicken and Quickbooks are available for the Linux platform...you're good to go I think smiling smiley

I, on the other hand, am stuck with Windows because none of my engineering/ECAD programs have been written or ported to Linux sad smiley

Is Open Office and the Quicken software free or does that have to be purchased? How safe is all this free software?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login