Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Winter has arrived in Paciifc Northwest

Posted by Bob in Lake Havasu 
October 14, 2012 07:44PM
The rain has arrived after a nearly 90 day dry spell at the end of Summer. So, the hardtop is on the cabrio as the forecast is for precipitation for the next 10 days or so. Days have been getting cool enough that top down required a jacket anyway. Had quite a run of good weather though. On the last weekend of good weather I spent 6 hours in the cabrio and 5 of them were top down while driving to the ski resort at Mt. Baker. What a view from Artists Point at the end of the road. I was not the only one who thought so, the place was packed with other sightseers.

Passed a double trailer big rig about 2/3 of the way up the mountain. Appeared he may have taken a wrong turn and was looking for a place to turn around. Must have found a place because I did not pass him along the way out.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Bob in Everett
The rain has arrived after a nearly 90 day dry spell at the end of Summer. So, the hardtop is on the cabrio as the forecast is for precipitation for the next 10 days or so. Days have been getting cool enough that top down required a jacket anyway. Had quite a run of good weather though. On the last weekend of good weather I spent 6 hours in the cabrio and 5 of them were top down while driving to the ski resort at Mt. Baker. What a view from Artists Point at the end of the road. I was not the only one who thought so, the place was packed with other sightseers.

Passed a double trailer big rig about 2/3 of the way up the mountain. Appeared he may have taken a wrong turn and was looking for a place to turn around. Must have found a place because I did not pass him along the way out.

Judging by where you are on the map Bob, you must get a fairly wintery winter. I'm sure it depends on the weather cycle at the time but never the less... It's always funny around here (we can get whopper winters too) that our little 3's mangage quite well in the white stuff (given Bmw's bad reputaion). Both of our cars have lsd and good tires and we can be out there when everybody else is getting stuck or home, afraid! (and usually, we are out there :heart:).

Do you drive your thirty in the bad weather?

Cheers, Rick
rkj

Define "bad weather".
rkj
Ferdinand
rkj

Define "bad weather".

I would say after the snow storm when things get slushy... and salty :eyes:
You sure enjoy the cabrio properly!

:cool2:

The winter here will be hot.

Yesterday, in front of the parliament, after 2013 budget was discussed.
I wish budget discussions ended up the same way here. Or at least the animation around the discussions.
Bob in Everett
On the last weekend of good weather I spent 6 hours in the cabrio and 5 of them were top down while driving to the ski resort at Mt. Baker. What a view from Artists Point at the end of the road.
I drove that road once last winter, and it was a beautiful drive!

A couple winters ago I recorded a winter drive here in Vermont. I love my iX. :biggrin::heart:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiZ2ZXl57I[/video]
But we've still got a couple months before winter really starts in earnest. smiling smiley

Michiel 318iS
I wish budget discussions ended up the same way here. Or at least the animation around the discussions.
..Perhaps not. The proposal is mostly a raise in taxes equivalent to one more month of salary, compared to 2012 (and we are now at all time maximum taxes).
In practice, I work 4 months for taxes this year, will make 5 next year.
Those images make the news because all the crowds, the tags, the beating, yelling and throwing things is no news anymore. sad smiley
We do get a little snow once in a while but it is really bad because it is usually wet sticky stuff that packs to glare ice with only a few cars packing down. The salt helps make it passable. I drive the E-30 cabrio most of the time as it does have LSD. In the worst though, I take the beater Suburban. It too has LSD but more importantly it has more clearance and less value. My fear is not my driving but the other guy who will run into me. I also have some really sticky winter tires so the E-30 would be capable. The corrosion control on the E-30 seems to be working. I have been using it for 8 winters and no rust coming through anywhere. I do wash it pretty regularly though.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
Dave_G
Bob in Everett
On the last weekend of good weather I spent 6 hours in the cabrio and 5 of them were top down while driving to the ski resort at Mt. Baker. What a view from Artists Point at the end of the road.
I drove that road once last winter, and it was a beautiful drive!

A couple winters ago I recorded a winter drive here in Vermont. I love my iX. :biggrin::heart:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiZ2ZXl57I[/video]
But we've still got a couple months before winter really starts in earnest. smiling smiley

Great video Dave. Vermont is so pretty. I love taking the scenic routes through the towns. We're heading up to South Royalton tomorrow morning to visit my Daughter for 2-3 days. Looks like it's going to be a wet trip up, and after the trouble I had with lulu, our E39, this is going to be a test run.

Here goes nothin smileys with beer

Rick
rkj
Well, it was a wet trip up with downpours most of the way. At one point I had to pull over and take a break on 5 and give 91 a break.

I don't understand (even with regular, non driving humans) how people can be so stupid on the road, especially in rough weather. No lights on and they speed up and pass you and then sit there right in front of you and make it even more hard to see. And using the left lane for slower cars, most people don't have a clue what that lane is for!

The one good thing is the 5er makes everything on the road its bitch :biggrin:

One thing I have to report, the DWS Continentals are great in the wet, and when I say wet I mean deep wet!

[www.tirerack.com]

on the road with Rick :rally:
October 20, 2012 05:48PM
I should have included the picture I got from the top.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - peak and lake.jpg (200.1 KB)
rkj
October 21, 2012 06:02PM
Bob in Everett
I should have included the picture I got from the top.

Geeze Bob, looks like a dream spot. Where is that?

I just spent the day riding through the upper (northern) parts of Vermont. Tomorrow morning we will leave for home, I'm leaving plenty of time for small roads down (south). So far, the car has been 100%, hopefully it will stay that way smileys with beer

What a few days off does for your mental health....amazing
October 22, 2012 06:42PM
The road goes to a ski resort at Mt. Baker just north of us here in Everett. The spot at the top is called Artists point and is in a saddle between Mt. Baker and the next one over. Great views in every direction.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
October 24, 2012 12:06PM
Bob in Everett
The road goes to a ski resort at Mt. Baker just north of us here in Everett. The spot at the top is called Artists point and is in a saddle between Mt. Baker and the next one over. Great views in every direction.

I'll say, it looks like a touched up post card picture.

I just spent 3-4 days up in northern Vermont. My daughter has a place in Washington on the side of a mountain with a stream running through her back yard (yeah, it's a nice spot too). We did a lot of driving up there and it's neat having hills/mountains with roads going all over the place. Here, on my long island, we pretty much do flat. Luckily on the east end where we live we do have a few small hills to have fun on smileys with beer

Cheers, Rick
October 24, 2012 05:50PM
Rick,
Yes, it does look like a post card. I was fortunate to get the right spot and camera angle. I used a zoom lense to get the framing and perspective to look a bit better than actually being there. It was a fun effort. You can see some people in the picture as there is a foot path aroung the water. I tried to get most of them out of it but a couple still show up. You can see from the wider angle view that it gets better with some zoom. A telescopic view compresses the picture and brings the distant stuff closer and makes it more dramatic.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - mt view1.jpg (331.8 KB)
October 25, 2012 04:38AM
I am still like "wow!"
:bow:
Wonderful place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login