And said: "Who has dared to enter
My dens which I do not disclose,
My black roofs of the end of the world?"
And the helmsman said, a-trembling:
"King Don Joao the Second!"

"Whose are the sails over which I skim?
Whose are the keels I see and hear?"
Said the monster, and circled three times,
Three times it circled filthy and thick.
"Who comes to do what only I can,
I who dwell where none has ever seen me
And pour forth the fears of the bottomless sea?"
And the helmsman trembled, and said:
"King Don Joao the Second!"

Three times from the helm he raised his hands,
Three times on the helm he lay them back,
And said, after trembling three times:
"Here at the helm I am more than myself:
I am a People who wants the sea that is yours;
And more than the monster, that my soul does fear
And dwells in the dark of the end of the world,
Commands the will, that binds me to the helm,
Of King Don Joao the Second!"
May 11, 2012 08:30PM
There is nothing to fear but fear itself!

That is a rather timely poem given the times we live in smileys with beer

Thanks for sharing it with us.
May 12, 2012 08:32AM
...just to keep the forum working...

:stickpoke:
May 12, 2012 10:50AM
Don't worry, it had an oil change last week winking smiley

This is typically the time of year when most folks drift out doors and away from their computers.
All the other forums I visit are also pretty quiet compared to when it was rainy and cold outside.

Just to keep things car related; my little Echo has settled in to a regular 46mpg(IMP) thumbs up

I still miss the iX but the little Echo gives me a feeling for what the 318Ti might be like to drive...quick, nimble and rides like it's on rails; just have to be careful about the oversteer :wink:
May 12, 2012 12:28PM
A 318Ti should feel much different (for the better), due mainly to the RWD, weight distribution and total mass.
The Toyota should be less troublesome in maintenance and less thirsty by far.
I have used a rental Toyota Yaris in 2004, should be close enough to yours to judge, despite the smaller engine and the hatchback.
May 12, 2012 06:58PM
My Echo is a 2004 hatchback and is the same car as the Yaris, so you know what it's like.

The front wheel drive is definitely not as nice as RWD; in fact, it is quite 'twitchy' when you let the engine go. I guess the open diff and the two different length axels make that happen. The right axel is much shorter and the right wheel breaks free much more easily than the left. It is really noticeable on wet roads and at stop lights.

I loved the AWD of the iX but would still love a RWD machine. An Echo with RWD would be perfect :wink:
rkj
May 13, 2012 07:17AM
I loved our 318ti, it's one of the nicest Bmw's ever made. I keep looking for another but they're almost all automatics or beat to death. I keep looking though smileys with beer
May 13, 2012 01:05PM
Same here; they are all autos sad smiley

If/when I get another E30 or E36, it will be an auto and RWD.
Saw one at road side yesterday and planned to stop for a look see when I returned but it had moved. It was a gold coloured 325i with one pre 1989 and one post1989 bumper. Otherwise; what I did see; looked pretty clean and solid.
The E30 is becoming scarcer around here now; I think the 16 year olds have smashed most of them up :hitwithrock:
May 14, 2012 06:04AM
Since I know you don't do Facebook... Ove just posted pictures of his new 5-door 116i M-Sport. He said in his 116i he's getting around 6L/100km, which I work out to be about 39.75 mpg (US, not Canadian). To say I'm jealous is an understatement. I wouldn't necessarily go for the 116i, but I would LOVE it if BMW would bring the 5-door to the US. A 120d or 123d would be an ideal commuter for me for the next 25 years or so.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
May 14, 2012 10:33AM
Cab Treadway
Since I know you don't do Facebook... Ove just posted pictures of his new 5-door 116i M-Sport. He said in his 116i he's getting around 6L/100km, which I work out to be about 39.75 mpg (US, not Canadian). To say I'm jealous is an understatement. I wouldn't necessarily go for the 116i, but I would LOVE it if BMW would bring the 5-door to the US. A 120d or 123d would be an ideal commuter for me for the next 25 years or so.

Yes, I don't have facebook, me and three other people...
:boohoo:

My sister has a 318d (turbo diesel, like a 320d but cheaper) and she gets just below 6l/100km, so I find Ove figures very good to be true!
Perhaps his advanced driving skill are part of the equation...
May 15, 2012 11:44AM
Unfortunatly, cars don't last for 25 years anymore...
May 15, 2012 11:46AM
My good old E46 320d is at a stable average of 5.86 l/100 km now (over almost 100.000 km), driven in a spirited way. 6.0 l/100 km for a 116i is a very good figure! I wonder if he's running 'eco' tyres (would be rather un-Ove)
May 15, 2012 03:55PM
Michiel 318iS
My good old E46 320d is at a stable average of 5.86 l/100 km now (over almost 100.000 km), driven in a spirited way. 6.0 l/100 km for a 116i is a very good figure! I wonder if he's running 'eco' tyres (would be rather un-Ove)
I bet he has 5 diferent sets of tyres complete with rims, and he can stuff one of the sets into the car! That's how I recall Ove...
That could be: Summer compound, fuel economy, winter driving, ice racing, track-day setup
May 16, 2012 11:23AM
Yes, that would be Ove style ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login