Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Road Trip smiling smiley

Posted by rkj 
rkj
April 12, 2012 08:06PM
Well, at long last, a trip with the new car (1998 528/5) to see my daughter Zephyr in Vermont to see her new place. Might even do a little fishing thumbs up

Taking off tomorrow morning. Rick
April 13, 2012 05:15AM
Have a good trip, and make pictures.
Will be a long drive!

:rally:
April 13, 2012 11:58AM
Have a good drive! Taking the ferry or are you driving all the way?
April 13, 2012 06:47PM
Happy BMW motoring buddy :cool2:

I'll have to wait for your photos so I can enjoy the trip too.
Say hello to Z for me...she may not know me but from what you've told me, she is a lot like my daughter :wavey:
rkj
April 14, 2012 09:20PM
Hi, and thanks you guys for the good wishes. The trip up to Washington, Vermont was great and yes, we took the ferry across to Bridgeport and then headed north. We had a stop in Brattleboro for an Indian dinner just before they closed, great people and wonderful food. The car is working well and on the highway this car rules. I've been keeping the speed down around 65-70. I'll investigate new 17 tires when I get home. The dual zone heating and ac is a marriage saver and generally this car is a luxo cruiser I've always dreamed of having. E39's are a beautiful combination of all the things you would want in a distance car. This car also shines on the back roads, up here there are many great roads and the Bmw takes them without drama.

We had a wonderful day just sitting outside listening to the stream that runs a stones throw away. It's different up here.... The kids have been making really good things to eat and generally everyone has enjoyed life as they should with good friends. I made a few short videos so you'll be able to see for yourself. We should be home in a few days and will report in.

Regards, and peace, Rick
April 15, 2012 05:26PM
rkj
The trip up to Washington, Vermont was great
That's a beautiful part of the state. The Vermont Winter Challenge Rally has gone through that neighborhood a few times, so most of the time I've explored the back roads over there in Orange County has been in the middle of the night, in February, while trying to concentrate on navigating tricky route instructions on snowy roads, but I hear it's nice in the daytime, too. :smile:

(Actually, I have been around there a few times in the daylight, and it's beautiful country!)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

April 16, 2012 02:39AM
rkj
I've been keeping the speed down around 65-70.

Isn't that the upper limit?! LOL :whistle:

Your post spells like domestic happiness.
Enjoy!
:dance:
rkj
April 18, 2012 09:23PM
Hey Peter, I relayed your message to Zephyr and she said "Oh, the Peter in BC you always talk about?" she sends her best Peter.

Hey Dave, It Was beautiful driving down in the day light but those roads don't give you much room for error; a foot off the shoulder is cliffsville, sometimes with a river at the bottom- a long way down. Also, about a half an hour south of Washington we started to see carpets and beds high in the trees, debris left over from the floods. The devastation we saw was terrible; whole blocks swept away, people with homemade signs thanking the volunteers.... Chilling.

Hey Jose, Yes, we had such a peaceful, lovely time. Janet has helped Zephyr so much through all these years they have built up a solid friendship, those two adore each other and Will (Zephyr's new boy friend) was so cool. We both were so happy Zephyr found someone cool.

It was interesting seeing both of them take off for work Monday morning, after days of flannel shirts and lucky fishing caps, Will comes down in a suit and tie and Zephyr shows up in full work suit and heels, Whoa. Power couple.... They both are interning for the Vermont justice court this semester.

The car ran great, pulled a bit under 30 mpg for the 665 miles and just was a pleasure, an absolute pleasure to drive (and looking at it from the house, made sure I could see it when I was in certain rooms!). Everybody loved it.

On the trip down I had to hustle it a bit to make the ferry and it was just as smooth anywhere on the speedo and the car just works everywhere and has great balance. This is truly a lovely car, so glad I decided to go for it.

Nice to be home though, with new perspective smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login