January 17, 2009 08:20AM
there was this topic along time ago about a strange device (invented way back in time, like hundreds of years). it looks like a big plum, has some ingenious things inside and is able to bring the water from a small river uphill. not too much, but still uphill.

does anybody remember it ? i have no idea what keywords to search for smiling smiley

thanks

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
January 17, 2009 09:33AM
jaffar
i have no idea what keywords to search for smiling smiley
"Snake oil".
January 17, 2009 11:06AM
Ferdinand
jaffar
i have no idea what keywords to search for smiling smiley
"Snake oil".

I know that's slippery stuff but can it actually reverse the effects of gravity confused smiley
January 17, 2009 11:08AM
c'mon, it's a real thing.

LE: ok, i found it. it's called hydraulic ram.

[en.wikipedia.org]

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 11:09AM by jaffar.
January 17, 2009 01:28PM
jaffar
c'mon, it's a real thing.

LE: ok, i found it. it's called hydraulic ram.

[en.wikipedia.org]

That's actually kind of cool smileys with beer

I immediately started thinking of ways to harness the energy of the water that had been lifted. When enough has been lifter to a reservoir or storage tank, it could be released to power some sort of electric generator or even a water wheel.

I didn't read anything about flow rates so don't know if it the throughput of the ram could be made efficient enough to lift the volume of water needed for any useful energy generation.

Certainly if this device was tapped into the city water mains supplying your house, you could make use of the energy for free grinning smiley
January 17, 2009 01:58PM

The ram is quite inefficient. Usually 8 gallons of water must pass through the waste valve for each 1 gallon of water pumped by the ram. That is acceptable for a creek or river situation, but may not be a good option for a pond that does not have a good spring flow.

[www.clemson.edu]

--
January 17, 2009 02:37PM
jaffar

The ram is quite inefficient. Usually 8 gallons of water must pass through the waste valve for each 1 gallon of water pumped by the ram. That is acceptable for a creek or river situation, but may not be a good option for a pond that does not have a good spring flow.

[www.clemson.edu]

Well then, in the absence of a fast flowing stream, the city water pipe sounds like the logical source thumbs up
January 17, 2009 02:39PM

Well then, in the absence of a fast flowing stream, the city water pipe sounds like the logical source thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login