Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Irene

Posted by Flyboy 
August 26, 2011 04:27AM
Hi All
Been a while, sorry, life has just been getting in the way, I trust you are all well.
I just want please ask all the folks out there, especially on the eastern seaboard to take care and batten down the hatches and keep safe.
Irene looks like she is going to do some damage and then a bit.
Rick, you are out that way, are you not? Please take care and be safe.
Will be back for roll call when she is gone. winking smiley

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
rkj
August 26, 2011 06:59PM
Flyboy
Hi All
Been a while, sorry, life has just been getting in the way, I trust you are all well.
I just want please ask all the folks out there, especially on the eastern seaboard to take care and batten down the hatches and keep safe.
Irene looks like she is going to do some damage and then a bit.
Rick, you are out that way, are you not? Please take care and be safe.
Will be back for roll call when she is gone. winking smiley

Hey Stan

Yup, I'm here ready to meet this Irene bad ass :rolleyes: hopefully she will have lost some of her punch when she gets here, but hey, you never know.... I'm about 16-19 feet above sea level but a block to the south is the ocean (sea level). So, through the years my little rise has kept us dry so far (knock on wood). Then there are my eight oaks around the house and garage, mighty oaks they are too eye rolling smiley

Thanks for the concern, and will check in. Rick
August 26, 2011 08:02PM
I thought of you immediately when I first saw the projected storm path.
Hopefully, you will only have to rake up a few leaves and small branches when it has spent itself smiling smiley
August 26, 2011 08:07PM
Lets hope those mighty oaks are up to the task. Would be a shame to have to make firewood out of them.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 27, 2011 12:14PM
And it would be a shame if they make firewood of the house. Good luck Rick!
rkj
August 27, 2011 04:38PM
Thanks Guys

We'll be sleeping downstairs tonight wishing our Oaks good luck, it should be a long night and part of Sunday :cloud:
August 28, 2011 06:02PM
Let us know how it turned out.
Hope nothing more than heavy rain and wind, and a lot of leafs and branches to clean up tomorrow...
smiling smiley
August 29, 2011 07:42AM
Rick,

Here's hoping everything was okay for you guys. Up at Chez Cab it was a good rainstorm with some wind but nothing bad, which is really about what I expected. I didn't even notice any downed branches on our street, but just off of it on the next street there were a fair amount of small to medium twigs/branches on the road. I saw one large tree that came down on my commute this morning, but even that one was not near a building nor did it fall on the road, so no big damage that I saw.

Mrs. Cab was disappointed after all the news coverage. She wanted to see houses flying by on their way to Oz or something.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
August 29, 2011 06:40PM
Cab Treadway
Rick,

Here's hoping everything was okay for you guys. Up at Chez Cab it was a good rainstorm with some wind but nothing bad, which is really about what I expected. I didn't even notice any downed branches on our street, but just off of it on the next street there were a fair amount of small to medium twigs/branches on the road. I saw one large tree that came down on my commute this morning, but even that one was not near a building nor did it fall on the road, so no big damage that I saw.

Mrs. Cab was disappointed after all the news coverage. She wanted to see houses flying by on their way to Oz or something.

I'm with Mrs Cab...I always look forward to the fulfillment of those dire forecasts. Not that I wish any of that to happen to anyone but It's just an expectation that is generated by the media winking smiley

We get these kinds of predictions all the time...but I would never plan a picnic based on what the news media and especially the weather prognosticators tell us winking smiley
August 29, 2011 08:32PM
Cab Treadway
Come on up to Vermont. Or, better yet, just go to YouTube and search for "Irene" and "Vermont" and watch the excitement. As "easy" as Irene went on the coast, she walloped the mountains hard. We got 6-9 inches of rain in 15 hours and pretty much the entire state (along with eastern New York) flooded. Bridges are out all over the state, Main Street became Main River in many towns, buildings got washed out, and every single state highway is closed somewhere. About 10 towns are cut off from the rest of the world after all roads into and out of town were washed out. People are saying it's worse than the flood of 1927, and that one was pretty bad.

Personally, my family and I live on top of a hill and are fine. We lost power for 18 hours, but that's all. Lots of people are really hurting bad from this one.

August 29, 2011 08:43PM
I saw news video of some historic covered bridges washing away. Sad to see them go. Even if rebuilt, it just would not be the same.

Bob in Lake Havasu
August 30, 2011 09:16AM
Rick, you're OK?
rkj
August 30, 2011 06:07PM
Michiel 318iS
Rick, you're OK?

Hi Michiel, and Guys. I'm okay but a tree came down on our two bimmers, Janet's car got the worst of it but mine's not pretty either.... sad smiley
August 30, 2011 08:52PM
rkj

Hi Michiel, and Guys. I'm okay but a tree came down on our two bimmers, Janet's car got the worst of it but mine's not pretty either.... sad smiley

Glad you're OK. Sorry about the cars.

John
August 31, 2011 09:05AM
Bummer! How bad are they? Repairable? Are you insured for this kind of thing? I hope you'll at least enjoy the heat that wood brings!
August 31, 2011 06:34PM
rkj
a tree came down on our two bimmers,
Oh no! One of your big oak trees?

That bites.

Can the cars be saved?
September 01, 2011 05:34AM
Glad you guys are okay, and sorry about the cars and the tree! Maybe it's time to build that wooden E30?

Best of luck in the cleanup.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
September 01, 2011 08:19AM
Cab Treadway
Glad you guys are okay, and sorry about the cars and the tree! Maybe it's time to build that wooden E30?

Best of luck in the cleanup.

Gad you are well, and hope the cars can be fixed.
:doh:
Can the tree wood be used to build a garage for two?
It would be a nice project!
October 12, 2011 10:52PM
rkj
Michiel 318iS
Rick, you're OK?

Oh my, oh my indeed. I'm sorry not to have checked in sooner. (Shows the state of my life I guess.)

How are things now Rick? Better I hope...

Kelly
rkj
October 13, 2011 08:27PM
Thanks Guys, and Kelly. I got Janet's car going but mine has been sitting in the driveway ever since the storm, I know that it's stupid and I'll move on but that will take time. My car was something special to me, now it's just another beat up old wreck.

I've always had nice cars but these days replacing the 325 is just not going to happen so it's about time I get busy and put the fuel pump in and patch the old boy as best possible.

Every time I go for it though .... sad smiley
October 13, 2011 08:58PM
At the E-30 picnic last June there were several nice examples for sale. Some for not a lot of money. I know what you mean about having to give up on a reliable old car. I felt that way when mine got dented last year. Finally did get it fixed but it cost four large. Looks better than before though.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
October 20, 2011 09:05PM
Bob in Everett
At the E-30 picnic last June there were several nice examples for sale. Some for not a lot of money. I know what you mean about having to give up on a reliable old car. I felt that way when mine got dented last year. Finally did get it fixed but it cost four large. Looks better than before though.

Well, we'll see what happens. Right now I'm going to have to get over having a pretty car and settle for a runner. It's the only car we have with a tow hitch.... That's a big deal for me; I do alot of things with my small trailer confused smiley

I'll get there though
October 21, 2011 01:25PM
How bad are/were the cars?
October 21, 2011 05:10PM
Most of them were reasonable. No junkers. These cars are becoming rare and increasing in price. The cost of body repairs has thinned the ranks of every thing that had a dent in it. Now there are few candidates in the price range below 2500. Saw one with over 200k miles today on the BMWCCA puget sound website with a nice body for 2500 and a 540 9 years newer for 1600 and with fewer miles on it. Now to get the engine out of the 540 and put it into the E30 for a nice sleeper ride....!

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 25, 2011 10:17AM
Bob in Everett
... Now to get the engine out of the 540 and put it into the E30 for a nice sleeper ride....!

You can't keep it simple, buy a car and drive it.
Must do a project out of it!

hot smiley
October 25, 2011 06:56PM
Yes, the fleet of old cars I have are a hobby. Just keeping them running keeps me in a list of things that need done. If they do not need something once in a while, it is not as much fun. There is a 1994 540 for sale locally at a reasonable price for all the stuff one would need to make the conversion to an E-30. I have seen it done and it is cool.

The down side is that reliability will not be as good as a well engineered factory assembled machine. I do not have room to do the salvage of the old car while the conversion takes place is the problem. It would be fun though.

Bob in Lake Havasu
October 26, 2011 10:25AM
Bob in Everett
Yes, the fleet of old cars I have are a hobby. Just keeping them running keeps me in a list of things that need done. If they do not need something once in a while, it is not as much fun. There is a 1994 540 for sale locally at a reasonable price for all the stuff one would need to make the conversion to an E-30. I have seen it done and it is cool.

The down side is that reliability will not be as good as a well engineered factory assembled machine. I do not have room to do the salvage of the old car while the conversion takes place is the problem. It would be fun though.

I am all for car projects, but i am getting too much "hobby" and too little motoring lately...
:cool2:
e30 340i, yeah!
October 27, 2011 02:09AM
like this one ?

[www.youtube.com]

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
October 27, 2011 09:13PM
Yep that would be the result of the V-8. lots of new tires required. At the annual E-30 picnic I saw several with trans planted engines. Some Corvette engines some BMW. Most popular is the M-50 or M-52. Have not seen an M-62 yet.

Bob

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
October 27, 2011 09:31PM
Michiel 318iS
How bad are/were the cars?

Janet's white car was hit the hardest; top is all caved in, dents all over. No glass broken though.... Things busted all over, mirrors, moldings and such. I punched the roof up as best I could and did all kinds of other work. We're driving it now (it's the only car running) but it looks awful. Driving it around here is interesting (in the fabulous hamptons winking smiley). Sophie has turned in to a bad ass and anyone driving it sends messages to all who come close :rally:

My car is scared pretty good too but I'm slowly getting over it and will have it on the road soon now that it's turning cold and wet (motorcycles have their down sides now). I'll be working hard to buy another car though, probably an E46 of some kind.

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login