Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

@Peter: Need Advice on Watches

Posted by Ernest 
July 18, 2011 06:48AM
Hello Peter!

I know you're the resident "watch" man. I'm getting married on December, and apparently, I need to have a watch. It's a tradition thing where the girl has jewelry, and the guy has a watch. Kinda funny (or stupid) but oh well...

So now me (who knows nothing about watches) is now looking for a good watch. I'm hoping you can recommend some for me. Not too expensive, but elegant in the way it looks. I'm hoping for one with an analog face, but it's ok if it has a digital window (like those Casio Protreks). A watch I can use for trekking/hiking would be a plus (with altimeter, compass, barometer and/or thermometer) but those aren't requirements.

Thanks for your help!
July 18, 2011 07:34AM
Hi Earnest,

I think your best bet will be in the G-Shock or similar Casio lines. Not knowing what your budget is like makes it a bit tough but one watch I like that would suit most of your requirements is the Casio Geiz...
[watchshock.com]

or perhaps this Citzen Skyhawk...
[www.mypilotstore.com]

There are so many to choose from :eek:

And congratulations on the upcoming nutials :cool2:

Peter
July 18, 2011 08:14AM
Thanks Peter! Those fall within my budget. I was actually prepared to spend between 500-1000 USD since I do not know how much any of them should cost. grinning smiley They look really nice! I'll try to find one locally. The Casio should be easy to find, I'm not sure where I can find Citizen watches here. Thanks for your help!
July 19, 2011 04:14AM
Ernest
I'm getting married on December.

Congratulations, Ernest!!!!!! I'm very happy to hear this! :cool2:hot smiley:razz:

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
July 19, 2011 09:05AM
Hey thanks Cab! We're holding the wedding on 30 Dec this year. grinning smiley I'm really excited. grinning smiley
July 19, 2011 09:06AM
Hi Pete,

How about this one:

I'm being given a pretty tempting deal from the dealer. 20% off 12 months to pay 0% interest. grinning smiley Are Tissot watches any good?
July 19, 2011 10:01AM
Ernest
Hi Pete,

How about this one:

I'm being given a pretty tempting deal from the dealer. 20% off 12 months to pay 0% interest. grinning smiley Are Tissot watches any good?

Tissot watches used to be very good. My father has an old Tissot, older than me, still ticking.

Congratulations on your wedding!
July 19, 2011 07:08PM
Thanks Jose! How is it going?

It's really nice to still see some familiar names in BEN. smiling smiley
July 19, 2011 08:02PM
Tissot used to be a good watch when they were mainly mechanical.

The 'T' Touch has been plagued with module problems since day one...best to pass on that one or any of the 'T' Touch models.
July 19, 2011 10:01PM
Aha thanks for the tip! smiling smiley
July 19, 2011 10:37PM
Hi Pete, does this include the newer generation T-Touches? I've read about some syncing problems from the older T-touches. The new T-Touch Experts were supposed to improve on that. Did it work?
July 20, 2011 06:59AM
Ernest
Hi Pete, does this include the newer generation T-Touches? I've read about some syncing problems from the older T-touches. The new T-Touch Experts were supposed to improve on that. Did it work?

Possibly but all the reports I've read are about the Gen 1 models.
July 20, 2011 06:58PM
Thanks Peter!

I'll keep looking then. I still have until December to decide anyway.

Cheers!
July 20, 2011 07:38PM
Good.

I'll keep an eye out and if something sparks my memory, I'll let you knowsmileys with beer

Peter
rkj
July 20, 2011 07:40PM
Ernest! congratulations dog. I hope you have a good life together smileys with beer there's nothing like family especially when you make your own!

Cheers, Rick
July 20, 2011 08:01PM
My favorite for all time!! The fabled Seiko 6139 chronograph.

Seiko 6139 Chronograph

alan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 08:05PM by alanrw.
July 20, 2011 09:25PM
Hey thanks Rick! I'm excited to get into this new chapter in my life. smiling smiley Cheers bud! smileys with beer
July 21, 2011 07:47AM
Ernest
Thanks Jose! How is it going?

It's really nice to still see some familiar names in BEN. smiling smiley

I still come here often...Sort of.
I am engaged in a society of train users that consumes more of my time online, this is me on the news:

[bragaporto40minutos.blogspot.com]
I am the guy with glasses and white shirt with stripes, in a bad beard day.
October 10, 2011 10:17AM
Continuing with my search, I came upon this (yes it's another Tissot):

I'm starting to look into automatics. The problem with this one is the case thickness (15.8mm), but I'm totally digging the white chronograph dial and the brown leather strap. I'm worried such a thick case would make it hard to wear under a long-sleeve shirt. Any other similar alternatives in the $500-1000 range that has a thinner case? Being a geek, I'm also digging the fact I can see the movement on the watch's rear window. grinning smiley
October 10, 2011 05:23PM
Hi Ernest,

That's a good looker for sure.
The problem with mechanical chronos is not only the high price; it's the thickness.

To find a thinner mechanical chrono, you really have to spend thousands of dollars or go to a quartz module.

Another option is a non-automatic; ie hand winding mechanical chrono.
There are not many if any Swiss or Japanese offerings in your price range but there are some excellent watches made by the Sea Gull company.
These are Chinese designed, manufactured and assembled watches.
Anything from the Sea Gull stable will be as good as a Swiss or Japanese product costing 10x or 100x more,

Take a look at some of the offerings here...
[www.seagullhk.com]
[usseagull.com]

There are also excellent watches to be had from Shanghai and Beijing but they tend to be harder to acquire outside of China.

So, you're still going to tie the knot; haven't got cold feet yet? :lol:
October 10, 2011 05:46PM
Haha yeah I'm actually looking forward to getting this whole wedding thing done with. There's just a whole lot of things to do since we didn't hire a planner and have to do everything ourselves. We're pretty much done with the preparations though. Just maybe a few minor things and final bill payments. grinning smiley

Thanks for the link! I'll look at them. smiling smiley
October 10, 2011 06:09PM
Just think of how much money you've saved by doing it yourselves smileys with beer

Don't forget; these will all become cherished memories down the road winking smiley
October 10, 2011 07:32PM
Exactly! Though having amateurs doing it also meant we had some boo-boos along the way. :wall:

I'm pretty sure we'll have a blast. grinning smiley We're also flying off to Boracay the day after with some really close friends and family to celebrate the new year there. I'm really excited with everything! smiling smiley
October 17, 2011 06:19AM
hi

may i steal this topic ? smiling smiley
does anybody know when the new tissot racing-touch will be out ?
it's announced for september 2011 but i can't find any info on when it will REALLY be on the market.

this one:

[www.tissot.ch]

thanks

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 06:20AM by jaffar.
November 07, 2011 06:44PM
Hi Peter,

Some other choices:

Tissot Visodate:

Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic:

Both are about 11mm thick. Is that a good thickness?

Cheers!
November 07, 2011 07:30PM
Now we're getting somewhere :cool2:

I'm not very big on Tissot but that one looks pretty good.

The real star of the two is the Hamilton. That is a fine looking watch and one that befits the occasion it will be worn at. It will also be an excellent watch going forward for dress; business and whenever you feel like something special smiling smiley

The thickness is pretty average for current automatic watches. Try one on with a dress shirt cuff to see if it works; should be fine smiling smiley
November 10, 2011 03:12PM
I hope you mind if throw my two cents in too.

That Hamilton is a nice looking watch. It's a real classic. The Tissot's not bad looking, but I think that Hamilton is a beauty.

John
November 13, 2011 10:21AM
Thanks!

I've been doing some searching at local watch dealers. I found only 1 Jazzmaster so far:

I'm still on the hunt for a Rosegold version. So far, this stainless steel version is about $150 cheaper than the Tissot. smiling smiley
November 14, 2011 06:03AM
Hello again!

I found a Rose Gold Viewmatic:

Photos don't do it justice. And finally, the trio:

I'm still undecided so I didn't get it on the spot. Besides, I was just going to walk home from the mall in the rain and through dark roads. I didn't want to risk getting mugged with this. grinning smiley
November 14, 2011 07:09AM
The gold one looks really good.

When you put them side by side like that, it makes it easy to choose...my choice would be either of the Hamiltons smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login