Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For my friends

Posted by rkj 
rkj
April 15, 2011 09:44PM
I just bought a scanner and I'm putting up a Barn series of pictures on my facebook thingy, I thought I would share them here too. The kids and I shared 20 years there in Sagaponack (a block from the ocean), maybe the happiest time of my life, the kids loved it. The farm was on 75 acres..... Heaven

I had seven barns

[i200.photobucket.com]

Cheers

perseverance furthers
rkj
April 16, 2011 04:25PM
Today's upload are my two main Barns, one, the one facing the ocean on the left, is for mechanical and living and the right one is for painting.

[i200.photobucket.com]
April 16, 2011 05:13PM
Nice property, and a nice fleet of old-timers!
:cool2:
April 16, 2011 06:15PM
I see a 2002 and maybe another under a cover between the buildings(maybe it's a CSI). Then there is a 1938 or so American machine in the left of the photo and what looks to be a mid 80s Toyota Cresida or similar on the right side.

I envy you having lived in those places and in those times smileys with beer
rkj
April 16, 2011 07:39PM
Archeo-peteriX
I see a 2002 and maybe another under a cover between the buildings(maybe it's a CSI). Then there is a 1938 or so American machine in the left of the photo and what looks to be a mid 80s Toyota Cresida or similar on the right side.

I envy you having lived in those places and in those times smileys with beer

That's my 1971 2002, under the cover is my 1971 2800cs euro, my 47 ford coupe and a 530 to the right I think.

This is when I was still driving the 71 2002 so it was early in my stay there.
rkj
April 18, 2011 04:49PM
This was the rear door of the living end of the first Barn. As you can see, cars even trump the ping pong table; my 39 Buick is in it's place.

My trusty 71 2002 was never far away from my door :heart:
April 19, 2011 02:12AM
(t)rusty 2002 ;-)
rkj
April 20, 2011 08:10AM
Michiel 318iS
(t)rusty 2002 ;-)

Oh man, you can say that again. I nursed all my 2002's with the welder. One of them had so many Rick panels it weighed about twice as much as a stocker; I like to overbuild a bit!

Happy Wednesday smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 08:11AM by rkj.
rkj
April 20, 2011 08:28AM
And then there's a reason for all this, actually, in my case three. thumbs up

[i200.photobucket.com]

[i200.photobucket.com]
April 21, 2011 04:24AM
Awesome, Rick. I'm loving these glimpses back in your past! Great stuff.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
April 21, 2011 08:23AM
Cab Treadway
Awesome, Rick. I'm loving these glimpses back in your past! Great stuff.

Thanks Cab smileys with beer the scanner is great fun, now the kids will have some pixs of their own without rustling through my collection!

A closer look at the 39 today. Funny thing, when Faith was born I brought her home from the hospital in my 47 ford (it was just recently put into service, still unpainted and in primer). Zephyr (who we should all know by now) had her own car (the 39) to grow up with from the start (also in primer, but running nicely). Luckily, she was born at home with a lovely midwife and I in a snow storm, but that's another story thumbs up

[i200.photobucket.com]

Cheers, and happy thursday
rkj
April 22, 2011 09:10AM
Happy Earth Day, Earthlings.

Do something for the Earth today even it's posting a picture of a field. smiling smiley
April 22, 2011 06:32PM
It's funny, when you think of the Hamptons, you think of obscene wealth and multi-million dollar homes on the water. I was privelidged to spend 24 hours in the Hamptons in 1975 as a young turk. Unfortunately, the pastoral beauty was lost on me as I was with a bunch of guys from school (beer tends to cloud memories, eh?).

Your photos capture the serene beauty of the place. Great job and thanks for sharing them with us.

alan
rkj
April 23, 2011 11:40AM
alanrw
It's funny, when you think of the Hamptons, you think of obscene wealth and multi-million dollar homes on the water. I was privelidged to spend 24 hours in the Hamptons in 1975 as a young turk. Unfortunately, the pastoral beauty was lost on me as I was with a bunch of guys from school (beer tends to cloud memories, eh?).

Your photos capture the serene beauty of the place. Great job and thanks for sharing them with us.

alan

Hey Alan

Thanks, this place does have it's beauty, you just have to get to it these days (especially in summer). A good example is this whole farm (it was the Roesel farm) was flattened to the ground and there now sits some of the ugliest, most pretentious three houses I've ever seen. To make things worse, the houses are for summer people who might open them up two or three Months a year. My two main barns are still standing though, all dolled up! They belong to the original farm house where grandpa Roesel was born.

Posting these pictures have made me want to write a story about the history of the place and how I became part of it. Back in the day (before my time), the Foster and Roesel farms ran Sagaponack. I became close friends with Cliff and his wife (Fosters) and their farm still thrives a few streets over. There is still one Roesel left and I plan to visit Joyce and check on the Roesel spelling and a few other things.

Today's picture is the big machine/truck barn we used to rent out (one of the two that were) to pay for the joint. If you look close you'll see a panel missing in the door. That was for my small army of cats that kept the farm clean of mice. That was there when I moved in and I just kept with tradition.

My grandmother lived in Southampton all my life so I've been coming out ever since day one. I've always loved it here but never could afford to stay (it was very quiet then too, with little commerce). I came to the conclusion, eventually, that where I lived made a bigger difference than how much money I had so in 1971 I packed up for good and started living in East Moriches in an old train station I rented for 40 bucks a month and slowly worked my way east. Today I'm almost to the end (Montauk) :wavey: still poor, but really happy!
April 24, 2011 09:34AM
Oh man, I bet the stories from the 1800 and 1900's of sea faring men making their keep from Mother Ocean on great sailing ships would be amazing. Is there a historical society in town? They are usually a treasure trove of old photos and such. I wouldn't be surprised if there were originally only a few big land owners who leased out their lands to tenant farmers and such.

alan
rkj
April 25, 2011 04:47PM
alanrw
Oh man, I bet the stories from the 1800 and 1900's of sea faring men making their keep from Mother Ocean on great sailing ships would be amazing. Is there a historical society in town? They are usually a treasure trove of old photos and such. I wouldn't be surprised if there were originally only a few big land owners who leased out their lands to tenant farmers and such.

alan

The whole island has a rich history in life saving, fishing and farming. The town I'm in now has a marine museum (that's killer) and still has it's rescue station that is operational. I've been here, in Amagansett, for the last 10-15 years or so and have gotten to know some of the towns best characters, both fishing and rescue. It's nice to walk among these guys...

This photo was in September of 1987 (it sez so on the back) and I can remember trying to get some primer on the 39 from a bare metal redo and trying to get the wood pile in order for winter. One thing about life in the barns; you had to work with the seasons, the painting window was short and living on the water was damp. Not a painters friend :furious:

But all things considered, the kids and I where in paradise for the 20 years. We'll always have a fondness for barns and Zephyr promises me that when she hits it big as a lawyer....
April 25, 2011 07:12PM
The memories and life experiences of living there will always trump whatever monetary gains you may get. It is so pretty there, too bad we can't drive our E30's (you too Peter, bring the pickup) and just camp out under the stars (or in a barn if it should rain).

Wouldn't that be a bar-b-que and beer fest to end all? Talk about the last hurrah!!!! We could all tell stories of our long lost youth (or in my case mispent smiling smiley )

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 07:13PM by alanrw.
rkj
April 28, 2011 04:04PM
alanrw
The memories and life experiences of living there will always trump whatever monetary gains you may get. It is so pretty there, too bad we can't drive our E30's (you too Peter, bring the pickup) and just camp out under the stars (or in a barn if it should rain).

Wouldn't that be a bar-b-que and beer fest to end all? Talk about the last hurrah!!!! We could all tell stories of our long lost youth (or in my case mispent smiling smiley )

alan

Oh, without a doubt, too bad it took me so long to figure that out. It is hard though to leave the old neighborhood and all the great people. In the end though I started a new family and finally got with a girl I will have forever. That's what I call a good move, late or not!

A barbie with all these characters, wow, what a night for sure... we could do it at the beach, have a fire and everything thumbs up

Today's Barn offspring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 04:06PM by rkj.
April 29, 2011 10:39AM
Like this thread thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 10:40AM by Michiel 318iS.
April 29, 2011 02:10PM
Wait till he discovers Photoshop and starts playing with the colored filter effects. Priceless!!!

This is like being in a Benihana Restaurant, they cook excellent food right in front of you but the problem is you only get it in little increments.

alan
rkj
April 30, 2011 10:50AM
alanrw
Wait till he discovers Photoshop and starts playing with the colored filter effects. Priceless!!!

This is like being in a Benihana Restaurant, they cook excellent food right in front of you but the problem is you only get it in little increments.

alan

Photoshop!, I can barely run a computer.... I do have software from my printer though, and I think the scanner has stuff too. I'll have to look in to those programs. I've also been working with Paint. You can do some neat stuff with that.

That's funny you should bring up Benihana (he's a real car guy), I did a few of his cars when I was young. Today's shot is kind of boring but it has my cherished BMW sign (I still have it). I took it off a dealership I used to work for and later my partner bought the place for exotic and gray market cars we were doing (that's where my 930 came from). It's an original factory dealership sign from the 60's (the only Bmw dealer on the east end). I worked for the original owner of the place right before he retired, what a wonderful man. He raced 1600's and did quite well with them. Everybody loved Vic (me too). He gave me his snap on tool chest, I still have it...

April 30, 2011 01:12PM
Oh man! If you would ever need to get rid of the sign, I'm a candidate! It would fit perfectly in my garage (a bit barn-like).
rkj
April 30, 2011 05:28PM
Michiel 318iS
Oh man! If you would ever need to get rid of the sign, I'm a candidate! It would fit perfectly in my garage (a bit barn-like).

I've had it up on ebay a few times but nobody wanted to bid much... I kinda like it too much anyway :eyes: if I only had a place to put it these days eye rolling smiley that would be cool. I'm down to miniature size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 05:29PM by rkj.
April 30, 2011 08:24PM
I am a big believer in the Dummies books. They always break stuff down to very simple terms. I know they have a Photoshop for Dummies. You might even find it at your library. Also, tons of online help sites (just like this one).

alan
rkj
May 01, 2011 08:28PM
alanrw
I am a big believer in the Dummies books. They always break stuff down to very simple terms. I know they have a Photoshop for Dummies. You might even find it at your library. Also, tons of online help sites (just like this one).

alan

All great ideas Alan, thanks. You do have to buy the software though, which is pricey from what I hear.

The scanner has different "dpi" settings. Does that make the picture bigger and more sharp the higher you go?

I think I'm using 300-400 setting

Cheers, Rick
May 01, 2011 08:54PM
rkj
alanrw

alan

All great ideas Alan, thanks. You do have to buy the software though, which is pricey from what I hear.

The scanner has different "dpi" settings. Does that make the picture bigger and more sharp the higher you go?

Cheers, Rick

I have a copy of Photoshop LE which came with my Nikon camera.

If you want it; I'll send you the CD...I don't use PS any more; the Linux GIMP program does everything PS does and it's free smiling smiley
rkj
May 02, 2011 03:24PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
alanrw

alan

Cheers, Rick

If you want it; I'll send you the CD...I don't use PS any more; the Linux GIMP program does everything PS does and it's free smiling smiley

Really Peter, that sounds wonderful. Should get me on my way...

rick jost, box 684/8 oak lane, amagansett, new york 11930
May 02, 2011 06:12PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
alanrw

alan

Cheers, Rick

I'll get that on it's way to you buddy smiling smiley

BTW: You were a bit of a ham back then winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 06:13PM by Archeo-peteriX.
May 02, 2011 06:23PM
Hey, I think I can still squat that low. I can't give any odds as to if I can resume my normal stance from that position but I can attain the demonstrated position.

smiling smiley

alan
rkj
May 03, 2011 08:32AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
alanrw

alan

Cheers, Rick

I'll get that on it's way to you buddy smiling smiley

BTW: You were a bit of a ham back then winking smiley

Ham! more like the whole hog :mmbeer:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login