Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Half a million...

Posted by Ferdinand 
April 02, 2011 06:09AM
Half a million kilometres and counting... :heart:

April 02, 2011 08:06AM
you can enjoy the next half million trouble free :cool2:

I wonder what Bob P. is reading on his odometer these days?

I'll bet that BMW wishes it never made the E30 with so much longevity...not good for future sales winking smiley
rkj
April 03, 2011 11:29AM
Ferdinand
Half a million kilometres and counting... :heart:

So, that's 310,685 miles? I'm at 230,000 miles now and still pull factory compression thumbs up
April 04, 2011 04:50AM
Nice! Your car's name is Herb? :biggrin:

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
April 04, 2011 12:48PM
Cab Treadway
Your car's name is Herb?
No, Herb's is this truck stop on the highway. BobP would know it, as his commute takes him past there.

Herb's was the scene of several BMW rally adventures from back when I had my previous black 86 325. It was the start/finish location of the very first rally that Christoph & I won together.

And after another rally run on the Quebec side between Ottawa and Mont Tremblant and finishing late at night in Hawkesbury, Christoph and I stopped at 2am at Herb's on the way home to refuel. After filling the tank, when I cranked over the engine, the fan belt broke right here at the pumps.

That was certainly more convenient than being stranded somewhere way out in the woods. We've done that before too, and it's not much fun. Instead we got to sit inside at the restaurant drinking coffee and eating apple pie while waiting for the tow truck that then towed us home.

It was kind of fitting that this 500,000 km event happened right here at a landmark like Herb's.
April 04, 2011 12:51PM
Hey Cab,

This one made me think of your mysterious rear suspension clunk.

My car has an annoying clunk coming from the right rear. It only does it on rebound, not compression. I can bounce on the rear and the suspension moves quietly with no noise. But when driving over any abrupt kick it sounds like something is bouncing loose in the trunk. It sounds exactly as though the battery is jumping loose in the trunk. Except it's not the battery, not the trunk lid, not the spare tire, not the jack, not, not, not...

Okay, so then it has to be the upper shock mount. But it's not that either. This car has those nifty Turner Motorsport billet shock mounts and they're both tight. It also has urethane trailing arm bushings all of which are tight.

Maybe it's the subframe mounts. Those are the only things the previous owner hadn't replaced. They look okay though. But what the heck, the clunk is really bugging me, replace the mounts.

Crap. It's still clunking exactly the same way.

Turns out it's where the right side trailing arm pivots from the subframe. The bolt goes through a bracket on the subframe, and through the trailing arm bushing... The hole that the bolt goes through on the subframe is worn egg-shaped, so the bolt moves slightly.

Great! Now, how to fix that??
rkj
April 04, 2011 07:37PM
Ferdinand
Hey Cab,

This one made me think of your mysterious rear suspension clunk.

My car has an annoying clunk coming from the right rear. It only does it on rebound, not compression. I can bounce on the rear and the suspension moves quietly with no noise. But when driving over any abrupt kick it sounds like something is bouncing loose in the trunk. It sounds exactly as though the battery is jumping loose in the trunk. Except it's not the battery, not the trunk lid, not the spare tire, not the jack, not, not, not...

Okay, so then it has to be the upper shock mount. But it's not that either. This car has those nifty Turner Motorsport billet shock mounts and they're both tight. It also has urethane trailing arm bushings all of which are tight.

Maybe it's the subframe mounts. Those are the only things the previous owner hadn't replaced. They look okay though. But what the heck, the clunk is really bugging me, replace the mounts.

Crap. It's still clunking exactly the same way.

Turns out it's where the right side trailing arm pivots from the subframe. The bolt goes through a bracket on the subframe, and through the trailing arm bushing... The hole that the bolt goes through on the subframe is worn egg-shaped, so the bolt moves slightly.

Great! Now, how to fix that??

A few things come to mind, other than replacing the crossmember; weld a washer on the outside of the worn hole and making up a new bolt, carefully weld the hole and file flush to original spec hole (my choice). Lets see.... smileys with beer

I'll have to check mine; I have the same noise confused smiley but mine sounds like the noise Cab had, it's a rattle, like something loose in the handbrake shoe area.
April 04, 2011 09:02PM
Fantastic "milestone" for the E-30. I am at 205,000 today with my cabrio. It is a good thing that BMW built them so well as to get a great reputation for sturdy, reliable, and fun cars. From what I read in Roundel the new cars are a bit expensive to keep running. I have a 2001 740 and some dumb stuff has failed like the rear door window regulator. One of the most lightly used items in the car.

I really enjoy driving my E30 more than the exquisitely comfortable and quiet 740 even though it handles very well. I am just reluctant to fling it around with abandon because I think about all those suspension parts that will need repairs.

Bob in Lake Havasu
April 05, 2011 11:55AM
That sucks. Today at work we got the thread out of a weld-nut inside a chassis beam (the one that holds the subframe). We'll have to cut open the chassis beam from the inside and replace the nut...
April 05, 2011 11:56AM
That's twice as much as mine (which has barely ran in the last year) has! Congrats!
April 05, 2011 01:58PM
Michiel 318iS
That sucks. Today at work we got the thread out of a weld-nut inside a chassis beam (the one that holds the subframe). We'll have to cut open the chassis beam from the inside and replace the nut...

Why not helicoil it instead?

alan
rkj
April 05, 2011 03:07PM
alanrw
Michiel 318iS

alan

That's for a stripped out thread, not an elongated hole you have to make round again Alan. Nice try though smileys with beer
rkj
April 05, 2011 03:09PM
rkj
alanrw
Michiel 318iS

alan

That's for a stripped out thread, not an elongated hole you have to make round again Alan. Nice try though smileys with beer

Opps, I think I got confused there. I was talking about Ferdy's problem. Sorry Alan-
April 07, 2011 12:23PM
We didn't have the required strength in stock and the car had to be repaired as quick as possible.
April 08, 2011 05:46AM
Maybe you have one of those limited edition E30s with the adjustable rear camber? :mrgreen:

The good news re: my clunk is that it hasn't made that rattle/clunk in almost 5 years. The bad news of course being that the engine hasn't made any noises over that time, either. :laugh:

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
June 03, 2011 07:49PM
Tomorrow morning I will join the BMW CCA Puget Sound club for a drive around some twisty roads of Western Washington. About 3 hours of adventure with a bunch of other Bimmerheads. Most will be newer cars but I will try to keep up in my little old E30. I have 206,000 on the clock now (over 453,000 km) now. Just put some conditioner on the leather seats in preparation. Forecast is for severe clear and 74 deg F. Fantastic top down weather.

Bob in Lake Havasu
June 06, 2011 08:45PM
Oops, my conversion factor was wrong. I only have 343,000 km. I was using the pounds to kilo conversion... must be getting a few memory cells mixed up.

Bob in Lake Havasu
June 07, 2011 06:49AM
Bob in Everett
Oops, my conversion factor was wrong. I only have 343,000 km. I was using the pounds to kilo conversion... must be getting a few memory cells mixed up.

Still a respectable figure, if the engine is in good shape you should have no problem.
But for a first time, perhaps you shouldn't push to hard, have fun!

smileys with beer

Next weekend there will be some parking lot action near home, i will go to watch with kids.
[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login