Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wondered why there was no activity on the forum for almost 4 days...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
then I realized it was because I wasn't logged in :redface:

Truth be told,; I broke my computer last Saturday and am now running a new version of Linux. The breakage included loosing my bookmarks/favourites; e-mail contact list and several thousand pictures :wall:

All(or most all) is well now as I have recovered most of what I lost and am running one of the sweetest Linux versions out there...Mint Debian. I'm in love again...even if I do miss my iX sad smiley smiling smiley :eyes:
Peter,
For one thing, I do not have to write as much since I have become more proficient and have already learned most of the ordinary repairs. I really like my E30 and got to drive over 100 miles today while being paid to do it. Even a few more after work just because I could. Was driving in a rainstorm Monday and my front roundel came apart. The blue and white part is gone and just the base left in place. Did not realize these were a two piece assembly with a bunch of glue between. Good thing I already have a spare. Saturday I can take off the snow tires and replace the roundel. Need to wash it too...the car, not the roundel.

Hey, just a silly question, is there an adjustment for the seat height on the sport seat? I could not see one but maybe I was not looking in the right place.

Bob in Lake Havasu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 09:05PM by Bob in Everett.
Bob in Everett
Hey, just a silly question, is there an adjustment for the seat height on the sport seat? I could not see one but maybe I was not looking in the right place.
Yep, the seats in my 325i have height adjust. Actually, I dunno whether they're classified as "sports seats", it's a leather seat with side bolsters if that helps.
LOL :mrgreen:

My e30 deprivation symptoms are not improving. And they keep provoking me, today I saw a sweet e-30 M3 black, the other day there was a black 320is parked in front of the office... :hitwithrock:

José Pinto
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Truth be told,; I broke my computer last Saturday and am now running a new version of Linux. The breakage included loosing my bookmarks/favourites; e-mail contact list and several thousand pictures :wall:

All(or most all) is well now as I have recovered most of what I lost and am running one of the sweetest Linux versions out there...Mint Debian. I'm in love again...even if I do miss my iX sad smiley smiling smiley :eyes:

Hey Archie

Glad to see you back, well and mostly intact eye rolling smiley One nice thing about this macbook I've been working with lately is that it's so reliable; open it up, it works. I could get hooked on this! I know these things won't work for all your needs, just sayin smiling bouncing smiley
Unfortunately, I could break a Mac Book too sad smiley

It was my own fault...I hit 'upgrade' instead of 'update' and didn't pay attention to what was going on until too late sad smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

It was my own fault...I hit 'upgrade' instead of 'update' and didn't pay attention to what was going on until too late sad smiley

I really hate it when that happens smileys with beer
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

I really hate it when that happens smileys with beer

Well, at least it was not a tsunami. The poor Japanese. Sure, it is a well developed country. Thank goodness all my friends there are ok.

On Wends night I filled up Beemie's tank in case I need to head east away from the California coast. Let's hope not.

Kelly
Archeo-peteriX

I do this at least once a month. It only takes me 48 hours or so these days to figure out what's wrong grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Bob in Everett

if I remember, you push down on one of the side levers. Most of the cars this age have blown the little shock that pushes the seat up though so it's easier if you don't put any weight on the seat while you adjust.
rkj
james
Bob in Everett

if I remember, you push down on one of the side levers. Most of the cars this age have blown the little shock that pushes the seat up though so it's easier if you don't put any weight on the seat while you adjust.

Even some of the standard seats go up and down, Janet's 1987 325e does. Like James sez, the gas filled thingys are mainly toast by now and the linkage can get very stiff but if you lift the seat up and have someone work the lever it might move. Watch your fingers!

Rick
Those cylinders used to be a small fortune at the dealership. I need to see if BAV or the others have em. Man, are those things a PIA to install!!! I don't think the wire wrap trick works with them.

alan
I know there is a "tilt" lever that lets the front of the seat move up and down and the tilt of the seat back is adjustable, but the back of the seat bottom is what I want to raise about an inch. In one of my cars the seat height is just right and the other is about an inch lower. The seats look alike.

Bob in Lake Havasu
If they are the sport seats like mine, you should have 3 levers, 2 on the side (raise and lower seat, tilt seat) and one for the seat back angle adjustment.

alan
March 26, 2011 01:04PM
Hard to believe but have owned this car for 6 years and had not discovered that the lever controlling the seat back tilt also controls a height adjustment. D'oh, now I can get comfortable on either side of the car and also make my garage queen car match the DD.

Thanks guys. Always something to learn. Probably could have learned this in the owners manual but have not looked in there for a while. Might be more nuggets in there for an old dog.

Bob in Lake Havasu
rkj
March 26, 2011 01:13PM
Bob in Everett
Hard to believe but have owned this car for 6 years and had not discovered that the lever controlling the seat back tilt also controls a height adjustment. D'oh, now I can get comfortable on either side of the car and also make my garage queen car match the DD.

Thanks guys. Always something to learn. Probably could have learned this in the owners manual but have not looked in there for a while. Might be more nuggets in there for an old dog.

This is kinda funny, and I have the book right in the glove box. I have, at least, learned how to set the OBC without it though :wavey: Okay, the clock!
March 26, 2011 03:20PM
You have to know more than that. My OBC always defaults to German and litres if the battery has been disconnected for a while. You have to pull out the plastic plug on the left and hit the button to cycle it to English and gallons. Wonder if they changed that in later versions of the embedded OBC software?

alan
rkj
March 26, 2011 04:09PM
alanrw
You have to know more than that. My OBC always defaults to German and litres if the battery has been disconnected for a while. You have to pull out the plastic plug on the left and hit the button to cycle it to English and gallons. Wonder if they changed that in later versions of the embedded OBC software?

alan

Not on any of my cars, but I'll have to look just to make sure what the procedure is.... but the change over can be done with just button pushing; push avg mpg and hit the change over button (that little one you have to use a toothpick for)

just got out the book, I've got a few here in the shop :mmbeer:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 04:10PM by rkj.
March 26, 2011 04:20PM
You know, I think you are right. What does the button behind the plastic plug do? I have it written down or have seen it somewhere!!

alan
rkj
March 26, 2011 04:32PM
alanrw
You know, I think you are right. What does the button behind the plastic plug do? I have it written down or have seen it somewhere!!

alan

I don't know anything about that button. The plastic plug is on the back of the unit, or the side?
March 26, 2011 06:39PM
alanrw
What does the button behind the plastic plug do?
It is for calibrating the fuel-remaining readout.

Pressing the 1000-button and 1-button simultaneously on the OBC will display the amount of fuel remaining in the tank.

If you run the car until it is nearly out of the gas, a low-fuel warning light comes on in the gas gauge in the instrument cluster when there are about 6 liters (1.6 US gal) left in the tank.

At that point, press the 1000-button and 1-button on the OBC to see what is displayed. If it's not correct, turning the calibration screw hidden behind the plastic plug on the left will adjust the reading up or down.
March 26, 2011 07:06PM
That is something I will have to try. there are other buried secrets on these cars and some of them are useful.

Bob in Lake Havasu
March 26, 2011 07:36PM
Hmm, interesting Ferd. For some time, my "range" button has been off. Do you happen to know if the "remaining fuel" is used to make that calculation?

alan
March 26, 2011 07:39PM
Rick, it is on the lower left of the OBC face. If you look closely, you will see a small hole. Use a pin or paper clip in the hole and the plastic plug should wiggle out.

alan
March 29, 2011 06:19PM
Ferdinand
Pressing the 1000-button and 1-button simultaneously on the OBC will display the amount of fuel remaining in the tank.

If you run the car until it is nearly out of the gas, a low-fuel warning light comes on in the gas gauge in the instrument cluster when there are about 6 liters (1.6 US gal) left in the tank.

At that point, press the 1000-button and 1-button on the OBC to see what is displayed. If it's not correct, turning the calibration screw hidden behind the plastic plug on the left will adjust the reading up or down.
Wow, I never knew that! Did you learn this stuff in E30 school or what?

I'm definitely going to give that a try. The range button on my OBC shows 30 miles left from about half a tank on down, so it has been a pretty worthless feature until now. It didn't occur to me that I might able to calibrate it!

Click here to login