Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, now that we're kicking all the dictators out-gas prices?

Posted by rkj 
rkj
But there's no oil in Libya. what gives.. O, wait a minute, I think I know!

Out here in the fabulous hamptons (11930) it's headed for 4 bucks for a wimpy us gallon. What is it where you live, and where is that?

The bike is going to get a lot of use this year; I have one of the few 6speed 650's that gets 60 mpg thumbs up
OPEC has publicly stated there is plenty of oil supply. It is the futures speculators on Wall St. that are driving up the cost per barrel. That being said, even if we hit the motherload of oil on our own soil does anyone think for a moment oil companies are going to back away from making as much profit as they can (as tated earlier, there is no shortage, then why are the oil companies raising their prices?)? We already pump oil here and the prices are what they are. The idea that pumping on our own land will lead to lower prices is not true.

alan
rkj
alanrw
OPEC has publicly stated there is plenty of oil supply. It is the futures speculators on Wall St. that are driving up the cost per barrel. That being said, even if we hit the motherload of oil on our own soil does anyone think for a moment oil companies are going to back away from making as much profit as they can (as tated earlier, there is no shortage, then why are the oil companies raising their prices?)? We already pump oil here and the prices are what they are. The idea that pumping on our own land will lead to lower prices is not true.

alan

And we give the oil companies large subsidies, why is that? just politics?

Seems to me this would be the perfect time to say no to those rich bastards!
Who is "we"? The politicians who are bought off by the oil companies? The citizens? Long ago I thought a great idea would be for everyone to boycott one oil company like say Exxon. You could still buy gas but just not at an Exxon station. The problem with this idea is you end up killing the poor store owner at the Exxon station. That guy is one of us, just trying to eek out a living.

This goes back to the Rockefellers and Standard Oil.

alan
It's more than you pay but less than the poor folks in the EU sad smiley

Not much we can really do about the price of gas except find ways(like you) to use less of it.

If I could; I would have an electric car/truck/motorcycle. It would be good for a while but the power brokers would eventually make electricity as expensive as gasoline. Which brings us back to using less energy from the suppliers and more of our own.
I had lunch on Friday with a group of old workmates and I was surprised to find out that 3 out of the 9 people there, now ride bicycles to and from work. Around here, they can do that pretty much year round...one of them rides 30+km each way!
R9.44 a litre here, about $5.20 a U.S Gallon in your terms :cloud:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
$ 7.10 / US gal (€ 1.35 / liter) here in Belgium, and that's for diesel, which is cheaper.

Those Turkish boys have a worse time: € 1.826 / liter ($ 9.61 / US gal) for gasoline.
rkj
But there's no oil in Libya. what gives..
Umm, where did you hear that? Libya is a member of OPEC, and Wikipedia tells me it's the 18th largest oil producer in the world. Qaddafi's wealth and power is pretty much 100% oil-derived. So yes, there is a good reason that markets react when there's political instability in any resource-producing region.

I realize it's more fun to blame the big, bad oil companies, but there's no evil conspiracy here. Prices of any commodity always go up when things like this happen. See the graph on the history of oil prices here: http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm.

There's plenty to be outraged about, but for me a $0.50 increase in the price of a gallon of gas isn't one of them.

Dave_G
rkj
But there's no oil in Libya. what gives..
Umm, where did you hear that? Libya is a member of OPEC, and Wikipedia tells me it's the 18th largest oil producer in the world. Qaddafi's wealth and power is pretty much 100% oil-derived. So yes, there is a good reason that markets react when there's political instability in any resource-producing region.

I realize it's more fun to blame the big, bad oil companies, but there's no evil conspiracy here. Prices of any commodity always go up when things like this happen. See the graph on the history of oil prices here: http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm.

There's plenty to be outraged about, but for me a $0.50 increase in the price of a gallon of gas isn't one of them.

Libya gives 2% of the worlds oil and that is a fair amount but not that crucial. I don't mind paying more either (if that's what you meant Dave), I think the more we pay at the pump the smarted people will act and do things that require fossil fuels. I'm just pissed that these events have a habit of bringing out the bloodsuckers of the world.

Out here we past that 50 cents a while back-

The real issue is now, what the hell are we going to do about Qaddafi, this nut case can do all kinds of damage! This no fly zone everybody is talking about can go many different ways, alot of them bad. It's hard though to turn your back on people that are getting the crap kicked out of them, there are humane limits. We missed the boat in Rwanda and that shouldn't happen again.

I keep on thinking there should be a large swat team for things like this; go in there quietly and take that stupid jerk out, once he's gone things would be much easier (hopefully) to deal with. Leave the troops home, send in a company of pros.
I was watching the cable news channels last night. The problem is that the minute we go in and someone gets killed on the ground, the Al Queda propaganda machine (one of the best ones out there) goes into high gear showing the Muslim world once again how the U.S. targets and kills innocent Muslims.

alan
rkj
alanrw
I was watching the cable news channels last night. The problem is that the minute we go in and someone gets killed on the ground, the Al Queda propaganda machine (one of the best ones out there) goes into high gear showing the Muslim world once again how the U.S. targets and kills innocent Muslims.

alan

I know, it's quicksand.
Last time Qaddafi was visited by the US Navy/fighter wing; he did an abrupt about face and was a good little dictator for a couple of decades...
He just needs a little 'gentle' reminder winking smiley
It's only quicksand if you play their game sad smiley

Noone ever counters with the same kind of propaganda about all the innocent christians killed in Al Quaeda stupidcide bombings!

We lost it when we became politically correct sad smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
It's only quicksand if you play their game sad smiley

Noone ever counters with the same kind of propaganda about all the innocent christians killed in Al Quaeda stupidcide bombings!

We lost it when we became politically correct sad smiley

Of course, he's a punk, the first real sign of danger that manic would be running for the hills. Dictators are usually cowards, and I agree, your hands are tied doing things "correctly" but I can't help thinking there is just no right way to handle this quagmire. You might get lucky and you might not...

As the death rate rises there are going to be people on board to intervene, and it won't be just the usa either.

A few guys from my outfit (1st infantry division) wanted more action; they signed on for long range recon patrol (LRRP). These guys would do all kinds of weird missions. One of the guys, Davey, would come back and see me once in awhile and tell me stuff that was pretty far out. He stopped coming around then I rotated home, I hope he made it back safe... My point is, these are the guys we need for this kind of trouble: not politely correct in the least!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login