Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jeesh some things change but BEN stays the same...

Posted by james 
Hey All,

Peter, Cab, et al.

How is everyone? Been a long long time since I was on BEN. Doesn't look like my old credentials work any more. sad smiley

Still in the e46 world, though had a slight speed bump last april when I hit a red light runner and totaled the touring. Have a sedan now but I miss the E30s. Maybe I'll get back into one in the future.

James

Hey James, how ya doing?

Wow, that's looks like more than just "a slight speed bump"! Glad you're okay.
Hey man,

all the usual suspects here still eh? lol

Yeah I'm fine, not a scratch on me which was shocking. Airbag deployed and the car was a write off which was very upsetting, I'd just upgraded the suspension 4 days earlier. sad smiley

Oh well life goes on. I'm just reading all the older posts here, Peter sold his ix? That's sad.

How are you doing? Are you still doing the Targa?

J
That was a nice touring, like it in that colour.

Ever since I crashed my iX when wanting to do some upgrades, I've been very careful just before and after doing maintenance on my cars. A little superstitious?
Michiel 318iS
That was a nice touring, like it in that colour.

Ever since I crashed my iX when wanting to do some upgrades, I've been very careful just before and after doing maintenance on my cars. A little superstitious?

Not at all. Cautious. I'm about to upgrade the suspension on the new car but in the back of my mind is this voice telling me not to just in case...
james
Are you still doing the Targa?
We did really well in the Grand Touring category with my son using our E30 in 2009.

Last September I co-drove (navigated) for Martin Walter in his Nissan 240SX in the full-out Targa category, Modern Class. On the 5th and final day we were sitting pretty in 2nd place when we had an unfortunate encounter with a deep rock-filled ditch.

We're going to make the TV coverage for sure with our in-car camera footage. I'll let y'all know when it's going to be aired, hopefully later this month.
^ ouchie! that's not going to buff out. :blinkey:

I assume everyone was fine. The E30 looks good, you got rid of the old one?

I miss the E30s a lot. One day I'd like to get another one, doesn't even have to be anything super fast. A guy down the street from me has an E30 touring with an M50 swap. It's pretty awesome.
rkj
Ferdinand
james
Are you still doing the Targa?
We did really well in the Grand Touring category with my son using our E30 in 2009.

Last September I co-drove (navigated) for Martin Walter in his Nissan 240SX in the full-out Targa category, Modern Class. On the 5th and final day we were sitting pretty in 2nd place when we had an unfortunate encounter with a deep rock-filled ditch.

We're going to make the TV coverage for sure with our in-car camera footage. I'll let y'all know when it's going to be aired, hopefully later this month.

That poor car, it looks so sad on the fork lift. The indignity of it all :giveup:
Welcome back James smileys with beer

Gotta get the suds in there somewhere winking smiley

Sorry to see that mess...was the other driver on a cell phone at the time? sad smiley

I don't know if you've had a chance to read through the pages and pages of drivel we pour out here but if you haven't; I recently had to sell my pride and joy, the iX sad smiley Thge economics of the times being what they are and having two vehicles in the driveway, I had to choose...the 94 Chevy S10 pickup won hands down, but only for practical reasons.

Each night, on my drive home, I pass buy one of those lonely used car lots with a bunch of European cars that not a lot of people want; tonight, I spotted a nice looking E30 touring. I'm going to drop around there tomorrow and see what it really is. If it's a 318iT, 5spd, and the price isn't crazy, I will definitely consider it...did I mention that I miss my iX? winking smiley

Anyway, don't be a stranger. Owning an E30 or even a BMW isn't a prerequisite for being a part of this forum of friends :cool2:
Hey Peter!

Yes I did have chance to read that sad news. But you can't eat a car and as people kept telling me after the accident, it's only a car. They are all lying of course and don't understand but they mean well winking smiley

It's good to be back. One thing this board has that none of the others seem to is a genuine sense of community. It was fun to actually help people here and find answers. Hope your new job is going well, I'm sure an e30 will end up in your driveway again.

Does Ove still stick his head in here?

J
rkj
james
Hey Peter!

Yes I did have chance to read that sad news. But you can't eat a car and as people kept telling me after the accident, it's only a car. They are all lying of course and don't understand but they mean well winking smiley

It's good to be back. One thing this board has that none of the others seem to is a genuine sense of community. It was fun to actually help people here and find answers. Hope your new job is going well, I'm sure an e30 will end up in your driveway again.

Does Ove still stick his head in here?

J

Hey James

I don't remember you but I'm a new guy, compared to Peter and Cab etc. Welcome back smileys with beer

Ove had issues on the other Ben and decided to leave and just visit once in a while (I think he quit the tech side and just did the community side for a while), he's busy with a then new girl friend and found it hard to justify the time spent here. Too bad; he was a great source of knowledge and is sorely missed. I do have him on face book though thumbs up

Anyway, Dave, our fearless leader got us back together and produced this place. We don't even have to pay for it any more. Yeah Dave :bow:

How did you find us?

Cheers, and good luck with the new car. Rick
No, Ove hasn't been around since this incarnation of the BEN.
He has a new cupholder and even married her I think. He has moved on from the E30 and undoubtedly has a whole new set of interests :mrgreen:
I may hang around on one of the other BMW forums but I suspect he doesn't frequent any of them like he used to do this one sad smiley

The rest of us here are just die hards and keep coming back for the comradery, puzzle solving sessions and cool rally videos :cool2:

I'll have another E30 one day...even if it has to be a 500hp electric project winking smiley
Rick, you may remember James from the 'Capri' discussions; among others winking smiley
I'm pretty sure you were around when James was posting more regularly...probably just your short term memory which I know about since I managed to reach 63 the other day :stickpoke:
Haha that's right the Capri vs mustang thread. You might not remember me but I remember you Rick. smiling smiley

As I post more idiotic comments I'm sure it will all come flooding back. winking smiley

J

Archeo-peteriX
Rick, you may remember James from the 'Capri' discussions; among others winking smiley
I'm pretty sure you were around when James was posting more regularly...probably just your short term memory which I know about since I managed to reach 63 the other day :stickpoke:
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Oh Peter, in the middle of the month I'll be :wall: 66 :eyes: I can't believe it, it's goes so quickly...

Hey James, give me some time, but not too much!
I used to think I was an oddity in E-30 land being a seasoned citizen myself. Thought you guys were much younger enthusiasts. Glad to see that I am not alone in appreciating art and engineering that comes in one package with a set of keys. I once read that "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" and the E-30 sure it that.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Hi James, welcome home!

Major bummer on that touring. We still have ours (AWD, unfortunately), but it's a bit tight with the rear-facing car seat on the passenger side. Makes the front seat uninhabitable by humans, so for the next 3 months until our son can turn around front-facing, we're a two car family whenever we all go somewhere.

Otherwise, life goes on. My E30 has been sitting in the garage untouched (but still loved) since fall of 2006. I'm hoping to do an S52 swap at some point, but for the time being it's not in the budget.

As you read, Ove got married and is E30-less. He now has an E36 325ti and still does lots of car stuff, travels a fair amount for work, and is getting more into photography. I keep up with him here and there on facebook.

So good to see you back and that all is well. Good luck with the vehicular replacement!

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Hey Man,

Glad to hear you're doing well. At least you still have your e30, I bet you sneak a peak regularly.

How many kids do you have? We are just getting into the territory of less and less car seats finally. My daughter isn't using one and next year my son can get rid of his. Will be good.

Here's the new car. Not much done to it currently, going to lower it and has a few cosmetic updates not in the pic.

Glad to be back, seems like yesterday when I was spending far too many hours a day at work on the original BEN. smiling smiley

James
james
Hey Man,

Glad to hear you're doing well. At least you still have your e30, I bet you sneak a peak regularly.

Oh sure, I gaze at it wistfully just about every day. I even have an engine crane sitting next to it so I can start the work of taking it apart. The crane has been sitting there for about two years, so you can tell how on top of this project I am. :mrgreen:

How many kids do you have? We are just getting into the territory of less and less car seats finally. My daughter isn't using one and next year my son can get rid of his. Will be good.

We have two (and we're all done). Our daughter just turned 4 and our son is 9 months. She is now in a booster seat (but still a 5-point harness seat), but it's much smaller than the full child seat. The E46 was okay for the first few months when he was in the infant seat that just had the base mounted in the car. That seat was small enough that while the passenger seat had to be moved farther forward than usual, my wife could at least still sit there (she's 5'11", so she normally sits with the seat kind of far back anyway). But he outgrew that infant seat, so until he turns one, we have the mega-huge seat permanently mounted in the car, and it's large enough that the passenger seat basically has to be all the way forward. So she (and certainly I) can't fit in there. We don't typically all go out somewhere at the same time, so it's not a huge inconvenience, it's usually her with both kids during the week or me with one or both of them running errands on the weekend. In June his seat will turn around front-facing and it will be fine. When our daughter was under 1 yr so her seat was rear-facing, we had it in the middle so it extended up between the front seats. That's not an option now, naturally.

Here's the new car. Not much done to it currently, going to lower it and has a few cosmetic updates not in the pic.

Glad to be back, seems like yesterday when I was spending far too many hours a day at work on the original BEN. smiling smiley

James

Looks nice! Is that a 330i, 325i, 323i, 318i with transplanted S54? I think you guys got a lot more engine options than they offered us down here in the south. I bet you miss the touring, though. I sure would. I can't see going back to a "normal" car anymore. The hatchback/wagon/touring body is just too darn convenient.

Good to see you back! I'm too busy these days to do much more than a fly-by check-in in the morning before getting to work, and I haven't spent any time on the Tech side in years, but this is such a great bunch of people, I couldn't stand to go without my BENN fix!

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login