Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aren't I boring (my E30pics)

Posted by Milo 
February 17, 2011 05:51PM
I bought my '87 325e a while back and thought I'd be here all the time asking dumb questions about some new niggle or thunk. I'm happy to report that since I got the timing belt changed I've put ~1000 miles on it without a single issue. It gets 20MPG like clockwork on my 6 mile stoplight crawl to work and while it could be faster I can't complain.

I'm finding more evidence of some previous nasties but hey, it runs good, stops good, doesn't leak and I love the RWD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
February 17, 2011 05:59PM
Milo...bore me some more.
I recently had to sell my beloved iX and really, really miss it :sad1:
February 18, 2011 10:12PM
[www.bmwpugetsound.com]

Peter, here a a couple of candidates for you.

Bob in Lake Havasu
February 18, 2011 10:14PM
Matt,
I still want to see that CD changer but have been so darn busy have not had time to try to meet up with you.

Bob in Lake Havasu
February 19, 2011 07:15AM
Milo
I bought my '87 325e a while back..., it runs good, stops good, doesn't leak and I love the RWD.
I had an '86 325e. I loved that car.

Much of its appeal came from the fact that it was relatively "boring", i.e. it was only an "e". But it was tons of fun.

Although I took good care of it, I also frequently abused the hell out of it.

Sadly that car succumbed to the cancer of rust. It has been replaced by a 1990 325is.

The new red car is definitely not "boring". The "i" engine is amazing! This is a waaaaay better car than the old 325e in many ways. Yet I still miss the old black car. I feel slightly guilty driving this new pretty one in winter, subjecting it to road salt etc. Even though I still subject this one to occasional abuse, I just can't do it with the same guilt-free abandon with which I had fun in the old black car.

February 19, 2011 07:39AM
Thanks for the links Bob. It's good to know there are still a few good ones left.
Unfortunately, my financial situation hasn't improved any(thus the reason I had to sell the iX) sad smiley
rkj
February 19, 2011 03:00PM
Ferdinand
Milo
I bought my '87 325e a while back..., it runs good, stops good, doesn't leak and I love the RWD.
I had an '86 325e. I loved that car.

Much of its appeal came from the fact that it was relatively "boring", i.e. it was only an "e". But it was tons of fun.

Although I took good care of it, I also frequently abused the hell out of it.

Sadly that car succumbed to the cancer of rust. It has been replaced by a 1990 325is.

The new red car is definitely not "boring". The "i" engine is amazing! This is a waaaaay better car than the old 325e in many ways. Yet I still miss the old black car. I feel slightly guilty driving this new pretty one in winter, subjecting it to road salt etc. Even though I still subject this one to occasional abuse, I just can't do it with the same guilt-free abandon with which I had fun in the old black car.

Hey Ferdy, Those are nice looking wheels on the red car, what are they?

Rick

perseverance furthers
February 19, 2011 04:49PM
rkj
They are two-piece BBS RM rims. Not nearly as good as the three-piece BBS RS rims, but I quite like them.

My main complaint about these rims is that the centre caps press on and are held in by a big rubber O-ring, unlike the better BBS RS rims which have centre caps that screw in. These go in nice and solid, no fear of them ever falling off. But, once on, they're a real bugger to remove again. I dread ever getting a flat out on the highway somewhere and then not being able to get the centre cap off to get at the wheel bolts.
rkj
February 19, 2011 06:02PM
Ferdinand
rkj
They are two-piece BBS RM rims. Not nearly as good as the three-piece BBS RS rims, but I quite like them.

My main complaint about these rims is that the centre caps press on and are held in by a big rubber O-ring, unlike the better BBS RS rims which have centre caps that screw in. These go in nice and solid, no fear of them ever falling off. But, once on, they're a real bugger to remove again. I dread ever getting a flat out on the highway somewhere and then not being able to get the centre cap off to get at the wheel bolts.

They are sweet looking, too bad about the centers. I know if there was a way to make them an easier R&R you would've found it.. Me, I'd run without them unless I was showing the car.
March 04, 2011 08:46PM
Oooh nice new car Ferd.

I know what you mean, I missed my '85 eta when I got the i. And the '90 I had developed some underlying issues that the e never had.

For us living in eastern canada rust is the death of these cars. My last car practically came apart at the seams after a while even though I was pretty good at keeping it clean.

Corrosion prevention has come along way let me tell you.
March 05, 2011 11:03AM
That is one thing the E30 has going for it....the lower body is pretty well protected. Have been driving mine in salted roads here for several years with not trouble. I had some accident repairs done that do not have the corrosion treatment where the new body parts are welded in so that may be an issue eventually.

Bob in Lake Havasu
Attachments:
open | download - back side.jpg (17.3 KB)
March 05, 2011 04:04PM
My rear arches practically evaporated on my 90' smiling smiley

Bob in Everett
That is one thing the E30 has going for it....the lower body is pretty well protected. Have been driving mine in salted roads here for several years with not trouble. I had some accident repairs done that do not have the corrosion treatment where the new body parts are welded in so that may be an issue eventually.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login