Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice day..... and a test drive- Audi A-5

Posted by rkj 
rkj
December 16, 2010 06:38PM
So, I'm working away on Eubie and an old friend calls me about putting some invisible bumpers on his new car. So after we scope it out we hop in and I take it out for a little back road work. I've gotta say I was impressed with it. That little Quattro goes very well for a 2 litre and handles surprising well. The rear camera is really neat not to mention all the fun gadgets it has. It was quiet and strong and really knows how to go around corners! but for 45,000 bucks, it should have something going on!

Rick
New cars are expensive, aren't they?
rkj
Michiel 318iS
New cars are expensive, aren't they?

I don't know how people afford them ..... really confused smiley was nice though thumbs up
The price of cars has gotten so stupid, it makes me seriously think of converting to buying well maintained used cars. One can always hope for the 4 year old car driven by a 75 year old woman who religiously changed the oil.

Of course, the last new car I bought for myself was in 1984. A BMW if memory serves me. smiling smiley

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 01:06PM by alanrw.
Had this very discussion today at work. Most people around here get a loan for a car. As much as I like cars, I could not loan money for a hump of metal (largely plastic nowadays).

They all want the newest and latest and all the gadgets and the government is just helping them, using CO2 emissions as an argument. Has anyone told those green boys how much CO2 is emitted producing an automobile? That's more than ever will come out of the tailpipe for most!
December 17, 2010 08:02PM
I have not bought a car that had less than 100k miles on them for about 30 years with just one exception for the spousal units E-38. It was only 61k miles and 8 years old.

Have had great luck but the key is that maintenance by the little old lady. I mostly do maintenance myself on my fleet of old cars. But one does need more than one so you don't have to ride a bicycle to the auto parts store. It has become more like a hobby now. There gets to be a bit of pride of ownership with the sweat equity.

Bob in Everett
I get so jealous when I hear you guys grumble about the prices of cars and bikes over that side of the pond.:frown:

but for 45,000 bucks, it should have something going on!
$ 65 500.00 for the bargin basement model A5 here, with bugger all extras at all, a tricked out one with all the optional extras will set you back $ 98 400.00
And this is the base price, before finance and you can work that at 15% interest rate.

My little box is going to be doing duty in this family for many years to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
No need to be jealous, that E30 of yours is much more fun to drive than any other modern machine, for a lot less money.

We're having snow here at the moment and strangely I felt as secure in the E30 on summer tyres with no electronic aids as with the E46 on winter tyres with ABS/ESP. The E30 was a lot more communicative and responsive than the E46.
rkj
Michiel 318iS
No need to be jealous, that E30 of yours is much more fun to drive than any other modern machine, for a lot less money.

We're having snow here at the moment and strangely I felt as secure in the E30 on summer tyres with no electronic aids as with the E46 on winter tyres with ABS/ESP. The E30 was a lot more communicative and responsive than the E46.

Usually, when I have to drive other peoples cars and then I get back in mine I'm always glad. My boss' Jaguar and Benz and Caddy are nice, and certainly I love the Woody we built together. Even that week old A-5 John brought by the other night was cool and new cars are always a thrill (especially that one!) but yesterday, when I fired up mine, after 3 weeks of not having it I felt at home.

I've also spent 15 years or so in the exotic car business driving everything under the sun, while some of them have been certainly interesting and fun I can't think of many cars I'd like more, to live with everyday, then the E30 Bmw smileys with beer

Rick
You have just warmed the cockles of my heart and saved me hours of wondering "what would it be like to own and drive a _________?". I once owned a Porsche912 and it in no way compared to my beloved E30.

alan
rkj
alanrw
You have just warmed the cockles of my heart and saved me hours of wondering "what would it be like to own and drive a _________?". I once owned a Porsche912 and it in no way compared to my beloved E30.

alan

The 912 was a four banger version of the 911, yes?, I had a 930 for a while; very fast and you had to steer it with the gas pedal. Always made me a little nervous... My favorites where the small Cobra (289 motor) and the 246 Ferrari Dino, now that is a fine car!
Yep, a 4 banger with dual downdraft solex carbs. It left me very unimpressed.

alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login