Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This thing is fun!

Posted by Milo 
December 13, 2010 07:35PM
I finally got a weekend to do my timing belt, my '87 325 has been on the road for few days now and when I can wrestle the keys away from my wife I really enjoy "driving" a car again. Far too many years without a clutch in a fun lightweight car (my '86 Corolla GTS and before that was an '85 Supra).

Doing the belt I had to limit the to-do list or it'd still be on jacks until sometime next summer when my bank account was empty every niggle had been sorted. I've got a long mental list of projects to sneak in when I'm not driving. the interwebs have been a huge help, most of the answers are just a Google away (oil light reset, why does my brake warning light stay on until I tap the brake).

Thanks for the help guys, back when I started working on Moto Guzzis there was no internet to answer questions so a lot more mistakes were made and lessons learned the hard way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
rkj
December 13, 2010 08:07PM
Milo
I finally got a weekend to do my timing belt, my '87 325 has been on the road for few days now and when I can wrestle the keys away from my wife I really enjoy "driving" a car again. Far too many years without a clutch in a fun lightweight car (my '86 Corolla GTS and before that was an '85 Supra).

Doing the belt I had to limit the to-do list or it'd still be on jacks until sometime next summer when my bank account was empty every niggle had been sorted. I've got a long mental list of projects to sneak in when I'm not driving. the interwebs have been a huge help, most of the answers are just a Google away (oil light reset, why does my brake warning light stay on until I tap the brake).

Thanks for the help guys, back when I started working on Moto Guzzis there was no internet to answer questions so a lot more mistakes were made and lessons learned the hard way.

Nice Matt, it is nice when they hit the road. The brake light thing, both of mine do it confused smiley maybe someone here will have the answer for us. Mine's in the shop now for a few things, might even get a coat of wax on him for the winter...
December 13, 2010 08:29PM
Matt,
Just be careful with all the wet pavement. Don't want to get an premature wrinkles in that nice car. I had let my tire pressure get low by not paying attention to them for a few months and it started to get a little tail happy. Now that I have the snow tires on it is more normal. If you do go for snow tires you will probably want to have them front and back as they are a lot softer tire so as to grip the snow better.

Bob in Everett
December 13, 2010 11:41PM
The brake light on at startup is normal behaviour. Not sure why but that's what it does.

alan
December 14, 2010 03:31AM
I believe the brake check light stays on until the car diagnostics has a chance to check if they're working. It can't check if the lights are working until the pedal is pressed and the lights turn on (or not).

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
December 14, 2010 10:40AM
I believe Cab is right, you have to tap the brakes, so it can check the bulbs, if there is no continuity through one of the lights, due to a blown bulb, then the warning light will stay on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.
December 14, 2010 10:56AM
Flyboy
I believe Cab is right, you have to tap the brakes, so it can check the bulbs, if there is no continuity through one of the lights, due to a blown bulb, then the warning light will stay on.

Makes sense, I was thinking it was looking for pressure before giving the thumbs up but bad bulbs would be a good call as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt in Everett, WA

BMW n00b with a 1987 325e
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login