Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

freude am fahren

Posted by nomis3613 
December 11, 2010 09:17PM
Rave about how good E30s are to drive*
*when they're in proper working order

This tale probably starts a few years ago when my gearbox got whiney enough that I couldn't put up with it any more. I took it to the local gearbox guy for a rebuild but in the end he said the box was cooked and I'd be better off just doing a swap. So now my car runs a Getrag 260 originally from a 5 series. Was all good.

But then a few months later I was getting a vibration. Took it to my normal mechanic and he found a heap of dodgy spacers had been used and didn't understand why they would be needed in the first place. To cut a boring long story short, the vibration came back recently and I wanted to get it fixed once and for all. At 35km/h, 70km/h etc there was some nasty shakin' going on. Turns out the wrong output flange was used, so the spacers were needed, so the tailshaft was out of balance, so the flex coupling wore out. Now the drivetrain is back to what BMW intended (I'm really glad the flange thing was found and fixed, otherwise I'd probably be going through guibos every few thousand km).

So, of course, I went for a drive out in the country around some nice twisty roads to test out the repair. Wow!! I'd forgotten how smooth the engine is and how fun the car is to drive. It revs out so sweetly and the whole car just feels so balanced and alive through the corners. Incredible for a small sedan built 21 years ago.

Just wanted to share the joy (and give hope to anyone struggling with E30 gremlins at the moment, it will be well worth it once she is running properly again).
</pointless post>
December 11, 2010 09:33PM
100% in agreement. Have two of them. The first car I have ever owned that was built to go faster than I was willing to drive. Fairly economical too. Parts are cheaper than Honda parts.

Bob in Everett
rkj
December 12, 2010 08:06AM
Bob in Everett
100% in agreement. Have two of them. The first car I have ever owned that was built to go faster than I was willing to drive. Fairly economical too. Parts are cheaper than Honda parts.

Bob in Everett

Oh boy, truer words were never spoken (sorry Peter), these cars are so right it's not funny. Mines in the shop (mine this time) for an injection gasket and some cleaning for the winter (and a cap and wires). Just having it inside and touching it is so cool (we're having a rain storm)... I've had a few nice cars but this one ..... just suits me best smileys with beer

Too bad shipping cross country is so expensive Peter; I'd you out one of mine

Perseverance furthers smiling smiley

perseverance furthers
December 12, 2010 08:55AM
rkj
Bob in Everett

Bob in Everett

Oh boy, truer words were never spoken (sorry Peter), these cars are so right it's not funny. Mines in the shop (mine this time) for an injection gasket and some cleaning for the winter (and a cap and wires). Just having it inside and touching it is so cool (we're having a rain storm)... I've had a few nice cars but this one ..... just suits me best smileys with beer

Too bad shipping cross country is so expensive Peter; I'd you out one of mine

Perseverance furthers smiling smiley

That's ok; I couldn't afford to insure one right now anyway. Once the finances are back in order though, I'll be looking grinning smiley
December 12, 2010 02:11PM
These cars are so old that if you own another car that is newer, the E30 can be insured as an antique with limited miles driven for about 150 a year. Has to be kept in a garage though.

Bob in Everett
rkj
December 12, 2010 02:23PM
Bob in Everett
These cars are so old that if you own another car that is newer, the E30 can be insured as an antique with limited miles driven for about 150 a year. Has to be kept in a garage though.

Bob in Everett

Bob, Is this a Taylor insurance thing, I used to insure my 47 Ford with them. Cheers, Rick
December 12, 2010 07:18PM
There are at least a couple of companies that do it. Haggarty's is one, I think the name of the one I use is American Modern Insurance Group in Cincinnati, Ohio.

There are some restrictions on usage and mileage and not to be left unattended for extended periods of time.

Bob in Everett.
rkj
December 14, 2010 03:39PM
Bob in Everett
There are at least a couple of companies that do it. Haggarty's is one, I think the name of the one I use is American Modern Insurance Group in Cincinnati, Ohio.

There are some restrictions on usage and mileage and not to be left unattended for extended periods of time.

Bob in Everett.

I think you might have tapped in to a lucky loop hole some where Bob, every place I try for historical insurance bounces me on the cars age, not being old enough. I've had great experiences on my 47 Ford's antique car insurance but that car falls dead center in age and value. I'll keep checking but I think, in new york anyway, I might have to suffer the premiums for a while eye rolling smiley It's not so bad, I've manged to get my rates down to 600 a year with allstate...

Rick
December 15, 2010 09:25PM
With American Modern it appears that 20 years is the demarcation between old and new.

Bob in Everett
rkj
December 17, 2010 11:58AM
Bob in Everett
With American Modern it appears that 20 years is the demarcation between old and new.

Bob in Everett

Interesting
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login