Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This place is getting mighty lonely.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
November 19, 2010 10:46AM
I don't wish anyone any bad running and/or problems but couldn't we think of some hot topics to discuss, even if it's not car related. The holidays are coming up and I usually need some quality input around this time, and I'm tired of talking to Buddy

He's not much of a talker, unless it's dinner time eye rolling smiley
November 19, 2010 01:09PM
rkj
I don't wish anyone any bad running and/or problems but couldn't we think of some hot topics to discuss, even if it's not car related. The holidays are coming up and I usually need some quality input around this time, and I'm tired of talking to Buddy

He's not much of a talker, unless it's dinner time eye rolling smiley

What's the matter...cat got his tongue grinning smiley

I just came in from outside. I was putting the good tires on the front of the truck as the ones on it are worn almost to the wear bars. The ones I put on are about 25% worn. Now I'm ready for the snow which has been threatening all day with little flurries. Nothing sticking though.
The forecast is for snow later tonight and possibly tomorrow. By Sunday it will have warmed up slightly with three days of sunshine forecast smiling smiley

Did you draw that power wagon picture?
November 19, 2010 05:55PM
Rick, I wonder if it's because our E30s(well, yours now) are getting fewer and far between?
In my scouring the classifieds, I find that there are few if any E30s being advertised and when they are they are late model cabrios from 92 and 93.

I haven't found a single 318i with any motor; M10, M40, M42, M44, etc.
This is truly sad...but it also means the the E30 is now an endangered species and actually worth collecting. I think the kids have moved on to other cars that can be mod'd easily for more power and easily accessible parts for those mods.

Just think about the current status of the E21 or the 2002...the E30 is now in that collective.

Damn, I wish I hadn't needed to let the iX go sad smiley
Yeh, seller's remorse; but it was the right thing to do under the circumstances sad smiley

On a positive note; we got a couple of millimetres of snow and are expecting a dump tonight. I'm all set; I have actual snow tires on my drive wheels) smileys with beer
rkj
November 19, 2010 06:58PM
Archeo-peteriX
Rick, I wonder if it's because our E30s(well, yours now) are getting fewer and far between?
In my scouring the classifieds, I find that there are few if any E30s being advertised and when they are they are late model cabrios from 92 and 93.

This is truly sad...but it also means the the E30 is now an endangered species and actually worth collecting. I think the kids have moved on to other cars that can be mod'd easily for more power and easily accessible parts for those mods.

Just think about the current status of the E21 or the 2002...the E30 is now in that collective.

Yeh, seller's remorse; but it was the right thing to do under the circumstances sad smiley

On a positive note; we got a couple of millimetres of snow and are expecting a dump tonight. I'm all set; I have actual snow tires on my drive wheels) smileys with beer

The drive wheels, rear, right? You might want a little weight in the bed too, pick-ups are a little light in the tail. Snow, I think Zephyr is getting some in Vermont (she's in the north area, south royalton) soon, they put their snow sticks up a few days ago (you know, the measured ones that stick about six feet).

With the GS finally running the snow can take it's time getting here! this year anyway!!!

Can you take some pictures though, I'd love to see what it looks like smileys with beer

I've only driven the four banger (twin cam) E30 one time (and that one was beat to crap but still was fun but we did have that great 318ti for a few years and that little motor was a gem. That would be my pick in the E30 (although the ti motor isn't much different). I did love that little car so much, it just looked funny! We won't even go into the 2002's smiling smiley the loves of my life...

Rick
November 19, 2010 07:17PM
I still see 2002's for sale. Great, great cars.

alan
rkj
November 19, 2010 07:20PM
The Powerwagon; a dear friend drew that. It was an ambulance that hauled wood and race bikes for years. It had FWD with hubs, I loved that old Dodge (1941), went anywhere, did anything even if the snow was up to your nose! It had those wonderful high front fenders, It got called a willys sometimes. For a truck I always thought it pretty, I have some pictures before it was painted by my friend who sold it to me, has the cross on it, just like it came out of the field in Korea.... had all new running gear too! thumbs up
rkj
November 19, 2010 07:25PM
alanrw
I still see 2002's for sale. Great, great cars.

alan

Oh, my goodness. You're not kidding thumbs up

My last one, and Zephyr's first car. There's poetry in there somewhere smiling smiley

[s200.photobucket.com]

Cheers
November 19, 2010 07:52PM
I sold mine (after it unceremoniusly/ungratefully sucked a valve after I had spent months restoring her) and bought my E30. I think my words were "sell me this car with the longest drivetrain warranty known to mankind". To give this irrational act some context, the 2002 crapped out 2 days after my '67 Porsche 912 4 banger cracked it's crankshaft in 2. It was at that point I decided it was time to take a break from cars for a while.

alan
November 19, 2010 07:53PM
Here are some fresh pics taken just after I swapped the tires...

Tomorrow, I will be putting 5 or 6 cinder blocks in the rear for added weight. That will give me 200+ lbs of extra traction smiling smiley
November 19, 2010 07:55PM
What boat is that?
November 19, 2010 07:56PM
alanrw
I sold mine (after it unceremoniusly/ungratefully sucked a valve after I had spent months restoring her) and bought my E30. I think my words were "sell me this car with the longest drivetrain warranty known to mankind". To give this irrational act some context, the 2002 crapped out 2 days after my '67 Porsche 912 4 banger cracked it's crankshaft in 2. It was at that point I decided it was time to take a break from cars for a while.

alan

So you've been riding a horse since then? grinning smiley
rkj
November 19, 2010 08:30PM
Archeo-peteriX
What boat is that?

That was a Rhodes 19 I was storing for my brother in law. Now it's in Willsboro and my Bluejay takes it's place! smileys with beer
rkj
November 19, 2010 08:33PM
Archeo-peteriX
Here are some fresh pics taken just after I swapped the tires...

Tomorrow, I will be putting 5 or 6 cinder blocks in the rear for added weight. That will give me 200+ lbs of extra traction smiling smiley

5 or 6 should help a little, looks like it's a nice little truck. 2 wheel drive?
November 19, 2010 08:41PM
Yep...RWD and a stick; I've finally got a real machine LOL grinning smiley
November 19, 2010 08:42PM
I was wondering if it was a Stephens Lightning. Similar look to the bow.
November 19, 2010 08:53PM
Archeo-peteriX
alanrw

alan

So you've been riding a horse since then? grinning smiley

No, that was March 1984 when I bought my E30. I was probably rash in dumping the 2002 (the 912 was a constant PIA) but I was just so bummed blowing up 2 cars in one week.

alan
November 19, 2010 10:21PM
Archeo-peteriX

You are right about how rare these cars are becoming. I got hit from behind in my E-30 cabrio last May and my insurance adjuster was determined to total out my car for a little back end damage. Gave it a very low appraisal. After months of protests I finally settled for a pittance for my car, took the money and added what it took to get the repairs made. Eventually I complained in a two page letter to the head of the company. Today I got the good news, they took another look at how rare these cars are getting and agreed with me about the value. I will be getting another check Monday. Really glad I did not let go of it.

Bob in Everett
rkj
November 20, 2010 08:46AM
Bob in Everett
Archeo-peteriX

You are right about how rare these cars are becoming. I got hit from behind in my E-30 cabrio last May and my insurance adjuster was determined to total out my car for a little back end damage. Gave it a very low appraisal. After months of protests I finally settled for a pittance for my car, took the money and added what it took to get the repairs made. Eventually I complained in a two page letter to the head of the company. Today I got the good news, they took another look at how rare these cars are getting and agreed with me about the value. I will be getting another check Monday. Really glad I did not let go of it.

Bob in Everett

You bring up an important thing Bob; the customer has more power than he/she thinks when it comes done to repairs and costs. I ran a body shop for years and often the customer would have to do the hard negotiating! (I just gave them the facts of the job).

Nice going, perseverance furthers....
November 20, 2010 09:16PM
When one drives old cars, one needs a fleet of them. I have 6 just so that something will run at least to the parts store. When I only had 3, I once had to ride my bicycle to the parts store. I have experienced a couple of engine failures. One was partly my fault, I let the spousal unit drive, fell asleep and she lugged an air cooled engine down while climbing a pass and towing a boat. Literally had oil coming out the exhaust pipe from all the pistons having scored and melted aluminum onto the cylinder walls. The cylinders were blue from the heat after ward.

Bob in Everett
rkj
November 23, 2010 11:08AM
Bob in Everett
When one drives old cars, one needs a fleet of them. I have 6 just so that something will run at least to the parts store. When I only had 3, I once had to ride my bicycle to the parts store. I have experienced a couple of engine failures. One was partly my fault, I let the spousal unit drive, fell asleep and she lugged an air cooled engine down while climbing a pass and towing a boat. Literally had oil coming out the exhaust pipe from all the pistons having scored and melted aluminum onto the cylinder walls. The cylinders were blue from the heat after ward.

Bob in Everett

Wow, I thought I was bad. Although "My" new years resolution is, that some of my cars are getting running and outahere in 2011!

My wife sezs so smiling bouncing smiley
November 23, 2010 05:09PM
I do get some pushback from the spousal unit about a couple of the cars that she does not like. Those she likes are OK. It is sort of a hobby to keep this fleet running. I do spend almost as much on insurance as I would on car payments. Three cars do get antique car insurance and that helps keep cost down.

Bob in Everett
December 10, 2010 06:08PM
Bob in Everett
Archeo-peteriX

Bob in Everett

Hi All and Bob,

Dear Bob - I am so glad that your insurance co saw the light of day! Save your letter. One day one of us may need a few pointers.

I have been so slammed at the office. Since Nov 8 I have worked every day except for 3 days at Thanksgiving. And, I'm starting to learn German. I attend classes on Saturday morning. The company where I have worked for 11 years may open an office in Vienna. I'm determined to work there for a while. Hence the German.

Hope that you are well, Kelly :-)
December 10, 2010 06:41PM
Ya ya, und zis ist gud ya, now ze American in Vienna can send us sum of zos Euro bits und pieces fur our auto's zat are so hard to find outside of Deutchland ya. thumbs up

Well done Kelly, I hope you get it, and I agree about the letter, if insurance had to pay me out for the box, I could hardly buy a decent push bike with the settlement.
Bob, maybe you can post the letter here, for the members to keep a copy, in case they have the same fight?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 06:42PM by Flyboy.
December 10, 2010 07:24PM
The main point they ignored until the final go round is that the (Washington state law maybe) policy states that the estimated value must be established in the local market where you live. Here in the Seattle area there is a huge following for E30s and in good condition they bring about twice what they do in flat land markets. The comps for my insurance company were from two other states and had automatics. I even sent links to craig's list and the BMW cca websites with cars listed for lots more that sold in a couple of days. Once they took cognizance of that and looked at the list of upgrades I had done and other photo evidence of the condition of the car, they changed their mind. For those with a specimen in nice condition, might want to file a few closeup pictures of the interior and exterior as documentation. I had saved every receipt for all the upgraded parts.

There were some insulting values given by the adjuster for perfect condition an near new items:

COMPONENT CONDITION VALUE
IMPACT
INSPECTION NOTES
Interior
Seats Very good $12 DRIVERS SEAT-SIDE SHOWS WEAR AND 2
SEAMS ON TOP OF RR SEAT ARE SPLITTING.
OTHERWISE CLEAN.
Carpets Very good $18 CLEAN, NO DMG.
Dashboard Very good $33 DRIVER'S DOOR TRIM PANEL IS CUT
Headliner Good $0 NO HEADLINER ON CONVERTIBLE TOP.
Exterior
Body Very good $151 SEVERAL VERY SMALL DOOR DINGS AND A
LARGER DING ON RT QTR.
Glass Good $0 SMALL W/S PITS
Paint Good $0 NUMEROUS FRT END ROCK CHIPS AND SLIGHT
SCRATCHES ON DE CKLID.
Mechanical
Engine Very good $36 ALL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE PERFORMED;
ROUTINE WEAR & TE AR REPAIRS MADE
TIMELY- OWNER HAS ALL RECEIPTS.
Transmission Good $0 NO HISTORY, UNABLE TO INSPECT.
Tires
Front Tires Very good $3 BOTH ARE 9/32
Rear Tires Very good $3 BOTH ARE 9/32
Maintenance Item(s) (12 months) $0 ($600 purchase price)

Records may be what made the difference. I even included compression checks that I had done. Provided pictures taken when traveling to interesting places and settings.

Bob in Everett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 07:25PM by Bob in Everett.
December 11, 2010 07:07AM

COMPONENT CONDITION VALUE
IMPACT
INSPECTION NOTES
Interior
Seats Very good $12 DRIVERS SEAT-SIDE SHOWS WEAR AND 2
SEAMS ON TOP OF RR SEAT ARE SPLITTING.
OTHERWISE CLEAN.
Carpets Very good $18 CLEAN, NO DMG.
Dashboard Very good $33 DRIVER'S DOOR TRIM PANEL IS CUT
Headliner Good $0 NO HEADLINER ON CONVERTIBLE TOP.
Exterior
Body Very good $151 SEVERAL VERY SMALL DOOR DINGS AND A
LARGER DING ON RT QTR.
Glass Good $0 SMALL W/S PITS
Paint Good $0 NUMEROUS FRT END ROCK CHIPS AND SLIGHT
SCRATCHES ON DE CKLID.
Mechanical
Engine Very good $36 ALL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE PERFORMED;
ROUTINE WEAR & TE AR REPAIRS MADE
TIMELY- OWNER HAS ALL RECEIPTS.
Transmission Good $0 NO HISTORY, UNABLE TO INSPECT.
Tires
Front Tires Very good $3 BOTH ARE 9/32
Rear Tires Very good $3 BOTH ARE 9/32
Maintenance Item(s) (12 months) $0 ($600 purchase price)

Hahahahahah, some of those are a laugh a minute, damn, where do I send the money for a crackless dashboard for $33?
I could also use a set of nice seats for $12, send the banking details.

Glad you got them to see the light and got your money out of them, good on you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E30'S AREN'T BUILT, THEY'RE CAUGHT IN THE WILD!!!

When in doubt, use full throttle,
it may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 07:09AM by Flyboy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login