Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's done, it's done smiling smiley

Posted by rkj 
rkj
October 09, 2010 03:53PM
Alright, maybe not completely but after two years it's nice to be riding it! Tomorrow will be a nice day B) 1985 Suzuki GS700e

perseverance furthers
October 09, 2010 05:17PM
rkj
Alright, maybe not completely but after two years it's nice to be riding it! Tomorrow will be a nice day B) 1985 Suzuki GS700e

Nice work thumbs up

What all did you have to do in the restoration?
rkj
October 09, 2010 09:04PM
Well, last winter I had to replace the alternator and rectifier/regulator and rewire (more straight forward wiring design and layout) some and generally go over the whole bike; it's a low mileage machine but certain things were needed. I got to put 60 miles on her (yes, this ones a her) before I took it apart for the charging system and liked how it handled, and it seemed okay on the power end.

After the winter, barely spring I put another 100 miles on and saw a big difference in the power; this motorcycle pulls like a freight train, for a 3/4 litre bike I was really impressed with it's grunt but the gearing was a bit low. Wheelies are not what I want to do anymore (not on a street bike anyway).

So again, she came apart; I fabricated a pair of handle bar risers and bars and had new stainless brake lines made up and I was doing great but ran into cable problems, nobody sells cable making stuff anymore (Peter, what the hell) so I got pissed off and decided to come back to the bars when the snow is knee deep!

I put new cush drives in the rear wheel, new sprockets all around and a very expensive O ring chain, new tire and all kinds of new stuff in the back end; hardware mostly.

I lost two ball bearings in the clutch worm drive, it was brand new looking but I just wanted to clean and lube it. Couldn't find these either so I had to buy a whole new unit! When I took these cases off all the hardware also had to be renewed. Every nut and bolt I was still able to get from Suzuki. In deciding to put the bike on the road with the smaller bars I did a ton of reworking to all kinds of things; just the things you get into when you're building a touring machine.

I took it out today and was really happy with the gearing; it's tall but at highway speeds the motor is humming along just under four grand, nice and calm and quiet. I was able to buy a really nice Yoshimura header and a kerker muffler. The muffler is a street style unit so I'm hoping I can leave the stock jets and it will be quiet. My GPz has a street yosh header and muffler and it's quiet and I run stock jets so we'll see.

The original owner reamed out the pipes and they sound like shit so I'm looking forward to the new pipe but for now I just want to break it in and make a few short hops.

I am going to make a small fairing but at this point everything is not fitting too well so I probably WILL have to make something, I like small headlight fairings with smaller shields, just to keep the wind off your chest. This bike has a monster headlamp, great for touring, back roads especially thumbs up

Tomorrow a friend is coming over, we're going to check his charging system and then go to the north fork for a days ride; Richard rides a big old Ducati and goes fast at times but I like riding with him. He's my age and road races. He's a great rider and I get him to slow down and smell the flowers a little! I love being behind him, that 900ss sounds sooo sweet. I could listen to that bike all day and still want more smiling smiley thumbs up smiling smiley

I'll report back-
rkj
October 14, 2010 03:59PM
Well, it's not totally sorted out but I got the new exhaust on last night; it's a Yoshimura header and a Kereker (period) muffler. What a great ride today, all by myself, just me and the back roads http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa226/rkj2002/Yoshimura.jpg

This bike is too fun, but so easy to get in trouble with eye rolling smiley
rkj
October 14, 2010 04:01PM
rkj
Well, it's not totally sorted out but I got the new exhaust on last night; it's a Yoshimura header and a Kereker (period) muffler. What a great ride today, all by myself, just me and the back roads http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa226/rkj2002/Yoshimura.jpg

Try that picture again
rkj
October 14, 2010 04:03PM
rkj
rkj

Try that picture again

One more time!
October 14, 2010 11:59PM
Old school. Wow, cool stuff and good work. I have to admit, I've never gotten into older bikes- yet. I think if/when I do, I'd like an old oil head beemer or the like. I rode through the Italian Alps with some Hardley guys this past weekend and have confirmed that I'll never own one of those heaps of garbage.
October 15, 2010 08:36AM
Sally,
Could you use the 'reply' or 'quote' buttons when responding; then your message will appear indented and below the person you are responding too.

This forum has a couple of viewing format options so this is the only way that your posts get arranged for easy reading.

I like your reference to the 'Hardley' guys rides grinning smiley
October 15, 2010 10:53AM
Better? grinning smiley

But yes, we were riding on the autostrada coming out of Chiavari riding right by the Alps. I was wondering when we would start to have some fun... I ended up frantically looking on the GPS as we were riding looking for an escape route. I eventually found one, waved goodbye and went and had a slew of fun. I ended up doing I don't know how many passes and 300 miles more than them, yet only got to the next camp less than an hour from them. They are "Hardley" worthwhile motorcycles. smiling smiley
October 15, 2010 11:06AM
Perfect thumbs up

I would probably be more the cruiser type if I still rode. If money was no object; it would be a Valkyrie or a nice touring beemer...and I notice your proper use of beemer vs bimmer winking smiley
October 16, 2010 04:06AM
Well I had close to 15 years of sprotbiles before I finally saw the light and started the ADV bit. The best part of it is that I lost nothing in terms of performance and gained a HUGE amount in comfort and capability. The "pig" as we fondly refer to the GS is a pretty amazing machine that I've had about everywhere you could imagine in every condition on every type of road/trail. I even did quite a bit with the first GS- including a round the country trip- which you may recall as my reason for leaving the community in the first place. Here are some shots of both in action:

Deal's Gap

[IMG[http://longtallsallygs.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Cross-Country-06/img0999/504070520_zWien-XL.jpg[/IMG]

Greenhorn Pass in CA

Mengel Pass just outside Death Valley on the way to Charles Manson's cabin

Doesn't need an explanation

Pig in flight

The famous Stelvio Pass in Italy

Baja

Those are some of the simple shots, but I've obviously been making use of my time away from E30s. grinning smiley

Valkaries are great bike that handle exceptionally well, but I wouldn't want to do the throttle body sync on one. And yes, beemers aren't too shabby based on the above. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 04:09AM by longtallsally.
October 16, 2010 09:53AM
You must go through riding boots like crazy!

I can see where a good deal of your left one is smeared on the road most of the way through that corner. Didn't your foot get a little warm...it looks like the steel toe was making some good sparks :-O
rkj
October 16, 2010 10:03AM
longtallsally
Well I had close to 15 years of sprotbiles before I finally saw the light and started the ADV bit. The best part of it is that I lost nothing in terms of performance and gained a HUGE amount in comfort and capability. The "pig" as we fondly refer to the GS is a pretty amazing machine that I've had about everywhere you could imagine in every condition on every type of road/trail. I even did quite a bit with the first GS- including a round the country trip- which you may recall as my reason for leaving the community in the first place. Here are some shots of both in action:

Deal's Gap

[IMG[http://longtallsallygs.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Cross-Country-06/img0999/504070520_zWien-XL.jpg[/IMG]

Greenhorn Pass in CA

Mengel Pass just outside Death Valley on the way to Charles Manson's cabin

Doesn't need an explanation

Pig in flight

The famous Stelvio Pass in Italy

Baja

Those are some of the simple shots, but I've obviously been making use of my time away from E30s. grinning smiley

Valkaries are great bike that handle exceptionally well, but I wouldn't want to do the throttle body sync on one. And yes, beemers aren't too shabby based on the above. smiling smiley

So, pigs do fly.... nice dude smileys with beer the GS is an awesome motorcycle

My little GS is the closest thing I'll have to a sport bike (it is a willing machine; rev happy and corner capable). My Nighthawk is the best for just getting on two wheels for an afternoon and smelling the air though smiling smiley

Cheers
October 17, 2010 02:36AM
Believe it or not, Peter, those very boots have lasted a number of years. It has just been since we got here that I've finally worn a hole in them. Motocross boots are pretty tough. smiling smiley My track boots, though, at least have toe sliders on them...

You don't feel any heat, and I actually allow the pegs and such to drag on the street as opposed to hang off the bike like above as I think it is a good indicator that you are the limit of what is safe on public roads. If you have to start hanging off the bike from the speed that you are going around corners, I personally believe it is too fast. Every always laughs at the sparks that get kicked up. When I drag the crash bars, though, it takes a touch more focus... smiling smiley
October 17, 2010 02:39AM
rkj

My little GS is the closest thing I'll have to a sport bike (it is a willing machine; rev happy and corner capable). My Nighthawk is the best for just getting on two wheels for an afternoon and smelling the air though smiling smiley

Cheers

Yeah, the guys over on ADV give me a hard time for all that I do with it, but there are some real nut cases that do much more than me! I'll bet your GS is a hoot- takes more skill to ride briskly on old tech, than it does on modern equipment.
rkj
October 17, 2010 12:41PM
longtallsally
rkj

Cheers

Yeah, the guys over on ADV give me a hard time for all that I do with it, but there are some real nut cases that do much more than me! I'll bet your GS is a hoot- takes more skill to ride briskly on old tech, than it does on modern equipment.

I guess my GS is old school but to me it's really a new world (I've always ridden Norton; atlas, p11 and commando) for me; triple disc, 16 front wheel and more power than I know to do with grinning smiley I'm in heaven!

Keep the shiny side up LTS, around here it's leaf and rut season eye rolling smiley so one should use all caution especially around sunset.

Cheers, Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login