Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iX to the rescue...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
December 22, 2008 02:08PM
A morning of fun with all the neighbours out shoveling snow off our driveways and cars. Occasionally someone would attempt to drive out of our cul de sac and require a gaggle of neighbours to rush out and push until they were half way up the block. One neighbour got his 4WD Tundra stuck in the middle of the street...until some one pointed out that he nneeded to push the 4WD button grinning smiley

Another neighbour with a big Ford F350(2WD model) long bed got stuck at the foot of his driveway and no amount of people pushing would get that thing going. I fired up the iX and drove around front of his truck to which he exclaims "What the hell do you think you're going to do with THAT?". I said if he had a rope or chain, I would show him. He just laughed but humoured me by bringing a length of chain from the garage and hooking it to the towing eye on the iX and the one on the Ferd. As soon as I saw he was applying power and his wheels were spinning, I dropped the iX into D and away we went. I pulled him up to the corner and onto the main street which was much clearer and he should be able to manage. As he's unhooking his chain, he just kept mumbling over and over "I just don't believe it; I just don't believe it!".

When I put the iX back in the driveway, the other neighbours all came over to have a closer look at the car. One of them looked closely then exclaimed "it doesn't even have snow tires on it!"

I just hope the neighbour with the Ferd doesn't phone me from the airport, where he was going, to ask for another tow smiling bouncing smiley
rkj
December 22, 2008 02:40PM
Archeo-peteriX
A morning of fun with all the neighbours out shoveling snow off our driveways and cars. Occasionally someone would attempt to drive out of our cul de sac and require a gaggle of neighbours to rush out and push until they were half way up the block. One neighbour got his 4WD Tundra stuck in the middle of the street...until some one pointed out that he nneeded to push the 4WD button grinning smiley

Another neighbour with a big Ford F350(2WD model) long bed got stuck at the foot of his driveway and no amount of people pushing would get that thing going. I fired up the iX and drove around front of his truck to which he exclaims "What the hell do you think you're going to do with THAT?". I said if he had a rope or chain, I would show him. He just laughed but humoured me by bringing a length of chain from the garage and hooking it to the towing eye on the iX and the one on the Ferd. As soon as I saw he was applying power and his wheels were spinning, I dropped the iX into D and away we went. I pulled him up to the corner and onto the main street which was much clearer and he should be able to manage. As he's unhooking his chain, he just kept mumbling over and over "I just don't believe it; I just don't believe it!".

When I put the iX back in the driveway, the other neighbours all came over to have a closer look at the car. One of them looked closely then exclaimed "it doesn't even have snow tires on it!"

I just hope the neighbour with the Ferd doesn't phone me from the airport, where he was going, to ask for another tow smiling bouncing smiley

Dats the stuff Peter smileys with beer show em what a real rig'll do thumbs up
December 22, 2008 02:56PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
A morning of fun with all the neighbours out shoveling snow off our driveways and cars. Occasionally someone would attempt to drive out of our cul de sac and require a gaggle of neighbours to rush out and push until they were half way up the block. One neighbour got his 4WD Tundra stuck in the middle of the street...until some one pointed out that he needed to push the 4WD button grinning smiley

He just returned from the airport and managed to keep rolling enough to get into his driveway.

The Ferd is a 4X4 but the fronts didn't lock up. Button pushing Tundra neighbour went over to show him how to properly put it into 4WD...now it works eye rolling smiley A quick tour around the cul de sac shows that even with 4X4 those things are not that sure footed sad smiley
rkj
December 22, 2008 05:32PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
A morning of fun with all the neighbours out shoveling snow off our driveways and cars. Occasionally someone would attempt to drive out of our cul de sac and require a gaggle of neighbours to rush out and push until they were half way up the block. One neighbour got his 4WD Tundra stuck in the middle of the street...until some one pointed out that he needed to push the 4WD button grinning smiley

He just returned from the airport and managed to keep rolling enough to get into his driveway.

The Ferd is a 4X4 but the fronts didn't lock up. Button pushing Tundra neighbour went over to show him how to properly put it into 4WD...now it works eye rolling smiley A quick tour around the cul de sac shows that even with 4X4 those things are not that sure footed sad smiley

I hope Ferd is not listening eye rolling smiley
December 22, 2008 06:34PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

I hope Ferd is not listening eye rolling smiley

He's probbaly spilled his hot chocolate laughing so hard grinning smiley
December 22, 2008 11:49PM
this just makes me want to have an ix as a winter car even though it rarely snows in portland.

rkj
December 23, 2008 05:05AM
These cars have always appealed to me too, they're a little scary though with their complex drive line.
December 23, 2008 07:00AM
Peter, any plans to fit a blade on the nose of the IX? You could pick up a few bucks plowing driveways!!!!

grinning smiley

alan
December 23, 2008 07:24AM
alanrw
Peter, any plans to fit a blade on the nose of the IX? You could pick up a few bucks plowing driveways!!!!

grinning smiley

alan

Wouldn't that throw off the perfect front to rear balance? winking smiley
December 23, 2008 09:15AM
Archeo-peteriX
alanrw

grinning smiley

alan

Not at all, blade angle is everything!!!!! The sinking in the rear is offset by the digging in of the blade in front.

grinning smiley

alan
December 23, 2008 09:54AM
alanrw
Archeo-peteriX
alanrw

grinning smiley

alan

Not at all, blade angle is everything!!!!! The sinking in the rear is offset by the digging in of the blade in front.

grinning smiley

alan

Maybe I'll just leave it as a tow truck...no extra gear needed smiling bouncing smiley
December 27, 2008 06:21AM
Yeah, the iX rocks, I missed mine a lot when we had our roads covered in 5 cm of snow a couple of weeks ago. The iS wasn't on winter tyres, didn't matter, traffic was keeping me up (did 4h15m over 130 km).

Anyway, I was surprised at how safe people feel in their SUV's. Sure, they have better traction off the line and ESP corrects for all the little starts of a slide that regular drivers don't feel. But why don't they realise that stopping a 2000 kg block of junk is harder to stop than anything? ABS will save them? Only if ABS can!

All these aids should be forbidden, instead of mandatory! More people would just stay at home when conditions are beyond their abilities.

And Rick, the iX has one of the simplest drivetrains ever! No electronics, hardly any mechanical gizmo's, just plain and simple. Nothing to be scared of!
January 03, 2009 02:17PM
Archeo-peteriX
As he's unhooking his chain, he just kept mumbling over and over "I just don't believe it; I just don't believe it!".

smiling bouncing smiley

The Little iX that COULD!! :angel: Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login