Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The E46 lets me down already

Posted by Michiel 318iS 
September 27, 2010 01:07PM
and will prove to be more costly than the good old E30.

In fact, both BMW's are letting me down at the moment. Last Saturday I wanted to start up the iS to charge the battery and keep things from getting old just by sitting there. Turned out the battery was already dead (had been sitting for 5-6 weeks). So I jump started it with the E46 and drove it out of the garage. Walking back in the garage, I notice drops on the floor. First thought was oil, so I ran back to the car to have a quick look and shut it off. It wasn't an oil leak, it was a fuel leak. Haven't targeted the culprit yet, it was coming from somewhere under the intake manifold, fuel rail I suppose?

But then... This evening, after 105 happy kilometers, coming from work, drove off the highway and CHING-KSHT-KSHT-KSHT. A weld in the catalyst housing broke. Luckily, the rear part can't touch the ground, the front part was chafing over the asphalt. Had a rope in the trunk, got it through the front doors and limped home for the remaining 5 km. For now, I've 'repaired' it with metal straps and wire, keeping the open end up, the back end of the exhaust (which is from the passenger seat backwards) is out.

Now it sounds like a truck with and open exhaust! VROOM PSSSSJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ! Hope the Dakar style repair holds so I can do a couple of more 220 km journeys to and from work before the replacement part arrives.
September 27, 2010 04:15PM

Now it sounds like a truck with and open exhaust! VROOM PSSSSJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ! Hope the Dakar style repair holds so I can do a couple of more 220 km journeys to and from work before the replacement part arrives.

Both cars broke at the same time, that sucks!
I wouldn't drive that far the e46 like that, can't you borrow someone's car?
Is better have the car fail on the road, or damage something else...
Without the exhaust the engine pressures are way off normal.

As for the e30, it may be something simple like a rubber o-ring or a fuel line.

Good luck.
rkj
September 27, 2010 09:26PM
Michiel 318iS
and will prove to be more costly than the good old E30.

In fact, both BMW's are letting me down at the moment. Last Saturday I wanted to start up the iS to charge the battery and keep things from getting old just by sitting there. Turned out the battery was already dead (had been sitting for 5-6 weeks). So I jump started it with the E46 and drove it out of the garage. Walking back in the garage, I notice drops on the floor. First thought was oil, so I ran back to the car to have a quick look and shut it off. It wasn't an oil leak, it was a fuel leak. Haven't targeted the culprit yet, it was coming from somewhere under the intake manifold, fuel rail I suppose?

But then... This evening, after 105 happy kilometers, coming from work, drove off the highway and CHING-KSHT-KSHT-KSHT. A weld in the catalyst housing broke. Luckily, the rear part can't touch the ground, the front part was chafing over the asphalt. Had a rope in the trunk, got it through the front doors and limped home for the remaining 5 km. For now, I've 'repaired' it with metal straps and wire, keeping the open end up, the back end of the exhaust (which is from the passenger seat backwards) is out.

After 5 or 6 weeks I think the draw would kill any battery... Jump starting is something I stay away from; not to good for the charging system.

The fuel could be running down from the point of entry on the rear of the fuel rail, make sure you really check all the rubber hoses back there.

Good luck with the exhaust, I got mine (for the thirty) from BAV and saved a few bucks...

Cheers, Rick
October 07, 2010 01:43PM
The exhaust is in (or is it 'under')! After a bit of shopping around, I found one in the UK, € 177 (154 GBP), VAT and shipping included. Around here, I could only find one for € 256 without VAT and shipping and I didn't even ask for the BMW price...

By next time I have to this job, I'd like to have a hoist in the garage, instead of laying on my back in the dirt of the garage floor with the car resting on stands. Especially when you're alone and have to lift the exhaust and get the bolts in. Ah, it was a good way to train my cursing, no fingers were harmed in the completion of the process.

Up to the next repair job, hope the odo shows a couple more figures before that happens, on the E46 at least. I'd like to get the E30 repaired so I can run it once in a while. That'll be for in a couple of weeks/months.
rkj
October 07, 2010 08:20PM
Michiel 318iS
The exhaust is in (or is it 'under')! After a bit of shopping around, I found one in the UK, € 177 (154 GBP), VAT and shipping included. Around here, I could only find one for € 256 without VAT and shipping and I didn't even ask for the BMW price...

By next time I have to this job, I'd like to have a hoist in the garage, instead of laying on my back in the dirt of the garage floor with the car resting on stands. Especially when you're alone and have to lift the exhaust and get the bolts in. Ah, it was a good way to train my cursing, no fingers were harmed in the completion of the process.

Up to the next repair job, hope the odo shows a couple more figures before that happens, on the E46 at least. I'd like to get the E30 repaired so I can run it once in a while. That'll be for in a couple of weeks/months.

Hey Michiel

I've done a few of these (me and my floor jack), what a crappy job especially if you're on your back.

Cheers, Rick
October 08, 2010 05:15AM
I hate to work under the car, i don't trust the stands...
Is the kind of job I like to have done by a pro, on the elevator and the exhaust shops usually have a torch to remove the old rusted pieces.

Now keep us posted about the e30, is a very sweet "backup car" to have!

smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login