Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm in a big quandary; ie screwed up head space :confused:

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
I have the wonderful if not leaky iX but I also have this nice little Chevy S-10 pickup that was given to me. I can't keep or insure both indefinitely...
The quandary; I love the iX but the little pick up is more comfortable on several levels and it can haul shit/stuff.

I have managed for the past ten years I've owned the iX without 'needing' a truck. The truck calls to me both financially; ie better fuel economy; and I like the driver position; ie my aging bones find it a lot nicer to slide into the truck than dropping down into the iX or climbing back out of it.

Realistically, I can probably manage just fine without the hauling capacity of the truck...

Convince me to spend the repair money on the iX ... please smiling smileyosmileys with beersmiling smileyoconfused smileysmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyo:confused:
Archeo-peteriX
Convince me to spend the repair money on the iX ... please smiling smiley
Well, let' see...

The E30, as we all know, has legions of admirers, possibly a greater fan base than any car of its era. There is, of course, a reason for that -- they are beautiful, well-made, reliable, and above all, fun cars. The iX has its own little subset of fanatics (to which I am privileged to belong). There weren't that many made, there are fewer left, and they still have the ability to turn heads and generate smiles. People ask me about mine all the time.

The S-10, on the other hand, is a functional tool. It gets the job done, but I wouldn't be going very far out on a limb to say that not many people really LOVE the S-10. It's not a bad vehicle, but it's just a tool, like a hammer or a shovel, and inspires about as much devotion.

To illustrate my point, look at how many people have regretting selling their E30 (especially their iX), and compare it to how many people have regretted selling their S-10.

How'd I do? smiling smiley

The US-ies say there's no substitute for CI's, I'd say there's no substitute for iX's!

Keep it or I'll ask Rick to put it on his boat and sail it over here!
smiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyo

Have a couple of these, go sit your driveway and think again. Look one side, iX, other side, S-10.

*burps*

Well?

smiling smileyo

Still in doubt?

smiling smileyo

Thought you were an E30 lover...

smiling smileyo

*burps again*

Come on Pete

smiling smileyo

I knew you couldn't dump the iX

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 12:14PM by Michiel 318iS.
Michiel 318iS
smiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyosmiling smileyo

Have a couple of these, go sit your driveway and think again. Look one side, iX, other side, S-10.

*burps*

Well?

smiling smileyo

Still in doubt?

smiling smileyo

smiling smileyo

*burps again*

Come on Pete

smiling smileyo

smileys with beer

Michiel,

Anyone who devotes this much attention to a response gets my attention. So did Dave's post.

I just have to find a way to keep the iX and have a truck too smileys with beer

If the S-10 is going to cost me x number of dollars to bring up to snuff, then I may just use it as a trade in on a newer truck. I wish I could afford a nice late model Japanese unit but their prices are still astronomical for even 10 year old models sad smiley

So it looks like my only options are for a Ford Ranger or a Mazda B2300.

You guys have reminded me why I got the iX in the first place and unlike a recent poster; I have spent well under $10K on the car in the 10 years I have owned it...which is way below the estimated annual repair costs for domestic and many imports!
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

*burps*

Well?

smiling smileyo

Still in doubt?

smiling smileyo

smiling smileyo

*burps again*

Come on Pete

smiling smileyo

smileys with beer

Michiel,

Anyone who devotes this much attention to a response gets my attention. So did Dave's post.

I just have to find a way to keep the iX and have a truck too smileys with beer

If the S-10 is going to cost me x number of dollars to bring up to snuff, then I may just use it as a trade in on a newer truck. I wish I could afford a nice late model Japanese unit but their prices are still astronomical for even 10 year old models sad smiley

So it looks like my only options are for a Ford Ranger or a Mazda B2300.

You guys have reminded me why I got the iX in the first place and unlike a recent poster; I have spent well under $10K on the car in the 10 years I have owned it...which is way below the estimated annual repair costs for domestic and many imports!

I see my people have this thread well in hand thumbs up my one question is this Peter, if you need a pick-up for work how is the thirty going to cover your action?, and also, maybe more important; what are you going to use to have fun with?
rkj
what are you going to use to have fun with?
When we had kids and could no longer fit all the required kid travel paraphenalia into the back of our fun little AE86 Corolla GTS, I was forced to trade it in and start serving a long sentence of driving a minivan. We bought a Toyota Previa. With a mid-engine layout, rwd, even a very rare manual transmission, I could pretend it was a sports car. But it wasn't. It was a minivan. An extremely practical, useful, convenient, even comfortable vehicle, But still a minivan.

I now sometimes miss the utility of owning a 7-seater minivan. But, god forbid, I am NEVER going to back to driving a minivan full-time. Those things have no soul. They are mind-numbingly boring. It was so frustrating being hobbled by a minivan that I couldn't go a single day driving it to work and back without an incident of Road-Rage. Minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, station wagons, etc are all fine to use occasionally as an appliance. They fit a niche and do a job. But a little part of you dies each day if you are stuck driving one full-time.

The E30 however puts a smile on my face whenever I sit in it. It relaxes me. I don't even mind (too much) being stuck in traffic. This car definitely has a soul. It's an old car that requires constant care and attention, that's true. But it always pays me back for those little favours. I love this car!

Ferdinand
Minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, station wagons, etc are all fine to use occasionally as an appliance. They fit a niche and do a job. But a little part of you dies each day if you are stuck driving one full-time.

I have to call foul on the station wagon comment... I could drive our E46 wagon full-time and be very happy. I'd be happier if I could have found a RWD version when we bought it, but I could still live with the xi if it wasn't my wife's car. But that's unlikely, as she LOVES that car. Now that we have the 2nd child, and his seat is rear-facing for the next 9 months, however, we are experiencing how small the E46 really is. Our next family vehicle will undoubtedly be a minivan. Sadly, none of them (in the US, anyway) come in that rare manual trans, so it will be a sad day when we have a 2-pedaler in the garage. We just need to get through these next few months with the rear-facing car seat, though, and then we should be just fine with the E46 for at least a few more years. The major downside is that with two car seats in the rear, the only place for Molly is in the way-back, which means we can't take her and any cargo. I should get a Thule box to put on the roof rack.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Cab Treadway
The major downside is that with two car seats in the rear, the only place for Molly is in the way-back, which means we can't take her and any cargo. I should get a Thule box to put on the roof rack.
Molly's gonna love riding on roof!
I suppose Moly is the dog and not the wife...

Around here they sometimes carry the dog in a small trailer.
At the moment, we've got the luxury of having a minivan (VW Touran), fun daily driver (E46 320d 4dr) and (momentary stationary) very fun weekend driver (E30 318iS). Now I need to find a way to haul trailers to move the dirty stuff (garden waste etc).
Michiel 318iS
At the moment, we've got the luxury of having a minivan (VW Touran), fun daily driver (E46 320d 4dr) and (momentary stationary) very fun weekend driver (E30 318iS). Now I need to find a way to haul trailers to move the dirty stuff (garden waste etc).

That may be a much more practical idea than keeping a car and a small truck. For the intended use the truck would serve, a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm; brain cells firing rapidly here grinning smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Michiel 318iS

That may be a much more practical idea than keeping a car and a small truck. For the intended use the truck would serve, a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm; brain cells firing rapidly here grinning smiley

I hate to say this Peter but I've been preachin trailers for a while now, posting pix... What more can I do! hot smiley when i need to haul something, off comes the race bike on goes whatever, I rest my case!!!!!
Archeo-peteriX
a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm; brain cells firing rapidly here grinning smiley

i see this in your future...

[forums.bimmerforums.com]

:o

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 08:18PM by daniel.
rkj
daniel
Archeo-peteriX
a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm; brain cells firing rapidly here grinning smiley

Baah, trailer sides, they just get in the way! cute though thumbs up
rkj
daniel
Archeo-peteriX

Baah, trailer sides, they just get in the way! cute though thumbs up

Am I the only one to spot the engine lift hoisting up a rubber chicken? smiling bouncing smiley
Wonder if it has an LSD?
Thats an E30 pickup cut in half and made to be a trailer... Double the work...
rkj
Ferdinand
rkj
what are you going to use to have fun with?
When we had kids and could no longer fit all the required kid travel paraphenalia into the back of our fun little AE86 Corolla GTS, I was forced to trade it in and start serving a long sentence of driving a minivan. We bought a Toyota Previa. With a mid-engine layout, rwd, even a very rare manual transmission, I could pretend it was a sports car. But it wasn't. It was a minivan. An extremely practical, useful, convenient, even comfortable vehicle, But still a minivan.

I now sometimes miss the utility of owning a 7-seater minivan. But, god forbid, I am NEVER going to back to driving a minivan full-time. Those things have no soul. They are mind-numbingly boring. It was so frustrating being hobbled by a minivan that I couldn't go a single day driving it to work and back without an incident of Road-Rage. Minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, station wagons, etc are all fine to use occasionally as an appliance. They fit a niche and do a job. But a little part of you dies each day if you are stuck driving one full-time.

The E30 however puts a smile on my face whenever I sit in it. It relaxes me. I don't even mind (too much) being stuck in traffic. This car definitely has a soul. It's an old car that requires constant care and attention, that's true. But it always pays me back for those little favours. I love this car!

Well said Ferdy smileys with beer
Archeo-peteriX
For the intended use the truck would serve, a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm;
We tow Christoph's gokart in a utility trailer behind the E30.

Given a choice, I'd prefer Rick's flat open trailer though. Our box trailer isn't all that heavy, but it generates tremendous aerodynamic drag. It's not as noticeable when towing it behind our taller Subaru Outback wagon. But, when towing the trailer behind the BMW, it feels like we're dragging a huge brick behind the car.

rkj
Ferdinand
Archeo-peteriX
For the intended use the truck would serve, a utility trailer behind the iX might do just as well...hmmm;

Given a choice, I'd prefer Rick's flat open trailer though. Our box trailer isn't all that heavy, but it generates tremendous aerodynamic drag. It's not as noticeable when towing it behind our taller Subaru Outback wagon. But, when towing the trailer behind the BMW, it feels like we're dragging a huge brick behind the car.

Yup, I've gone to slat flooring with an inch or so between boards too; only took me three floors to get there confused smiley it's handy for tying things down and cuts down on the weight, and I'm sure there's an air benefit some where in that scheme smiling smiley

I'm almost ready (okay, i am ready) for a new floor, this time the boards are going to be cedar (what's a good kind Peter, light and cheap?)
rkj
Ferdinand
Archeo-peteriX

Yup, I've gone to slat flooring with an inch or so between boards too; only took me three floors to get there confused smiley it's handy for tying things down and cuts down on the weight, and I'm sure there's an air benefit some where in that scheme smiling smiley

I'm almost ready (okay, i am ready) for a new floor, this time the boards are going to be cedar (what's a good kind Peter, light and cheap?)

Definitely an eastern species; western red cedar is very expensive these days. Fortunately you have a couple of eastern species to choose from.
Spruce is light but not very durable as far as rot goes sad smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Ferdinand
Archeo-peteriX

Definitely an eastern species; western red cedar is very expensive these days. Fortunately you have a couple of eastern species to choose from.
Spruce is light but not very durable as far as rot goes sad smiley

Thanks Peter, maybe I'll just keep checking the dump, the wood that gets thrown away there is upsetting.
Cab Treadway
Ferdinand
Minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, station wagons, etc are all fine to use occasionally as an appliance. They fit a niche and do a job. But a little part of you dies each day if you are stuck driving one full-time.

I have to call foul on the station wagon comment... I could drive our E46 wagon full-time and be very happy. I'd be happier if I could have found a RWD version when we bought it, but I could still live with the xi if it wasn't my wife's car. But that's unlikely, as she LOVES that car. Now that we have the 2nd child, and his seat is rear-facing for the next 9 months, however, we are experiencing how small the E46 really is. Our next family vehicle will undoubtedly be a minivan. Sadly, none of them (in the US, anyway) come in that rare manual trans, so it will be a sad day when we have a 2-pedaler in the garage. We just need to get through these next few months with the rear-facing car seat, though, and then we should be just fine with the E46 for at least a few more years. The major downside is that with two car seats in the rear, the only place for Molly is in the way-back, which means we can't take her and any cargo. I should get a Thule box to put on the roof rack.

Yeah, leave station wagons out of that, as the chassis is almost equal to 4 door similar model...
BTW, e30 tourings, mmmh!
As for children, we have three now, and is no big deal as the older just no longer needs the child seat.
Whenever we need to carry more stuff or anything, we borrow a van or rent a 7-seater, better than own one to ride almost empty all the time.
Peter, ask yourself:
Can you keep both cars?
Is the iX that expensive to fix?
Can you put the iX in storage until you decide?
Is the pick up much more economical to run?
Do you need the pick-up cargo/hauling ability?
Jose Pinto
Peter, ask yourself:
Can you keep both cars?
Is the iX that expensive to fix?
Can you put the iX in storage until you decide?
Is the pick up much more economical to run?
Do you need the pick-up cargo/hauling ability?

Jose,

The iX stays and due to circumstances beyond my control(lost my job); only one vehicle will be getting insured for the foreseeable future. If it turns out that the truck can be inexpensively brought up to par, then the iX will be parked and tinkered with.

I may well need the pickup for the small contract jobs I'm likely to have to take.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login