Well, the iX still passes AirCare with new car specs but this time it dumped half the coolant on the dyno !

It turned out to be the gasket between the throttle body and the heater. It was spraying a nice steady stream of coolant straight up into the opening in the hood insulation. Lot's of it dripped all over the engine but when I opened the hood, at least a liter or so spilled from the front of the hood.

For the time being, I just bypassed the heater by putting a coupling between the two hoses. Should be fine until I can order up a new gasket...if ever winking smiley

I got out the pressure washer and cleaned up the engine compartment so it does look a little nicer in there now; no more cobwebs, birds nests or leaves and branches grinning smiley
It seems coolant is a great engine cleaner, no? Glad it was something on the minor side, as you know, we are all pulling for this car.

winking smiley

alan
Got the rodents out as well?
Michiel 318iS
Got the rodents out as well?

The rabbit left about 3 weeks ago and he vacated without leaving a mess grinning smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Well, the iX still passes AirCare with new car specs but this time it dumped half the coolant on the dyno !

It turned out to be the gasket between the throttle body and the heater. It was spraying a nice steady stream of coolant straight up into the opening in the hood insulation. Lot's of it dripped all over the engine but when I opened the hood, at least a liter or so spilled from the front of the hood.

For the time being, I just bypassed the heater by putting a coupling between the two hoses. Should be fine until I can order up a new gasket...if ever winking smiley

I got out the pressure washer and cleaned up the engine compartment so it does look a little nicer in there now; no more cobwebs, birds nests or leaves and branches grinning smiley

I think I blew the same gasket coming home one day last year, it's a cork gasket (the one that let go one me) and has 4 small torex screws that hold the cover on and both surfaces had to be block sanded to fair them off. It was an expensive tow but it least it wasn't a head gasket!

Rick
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

I think I blew the same gasket coming home one day last year, it's a cork gasket (the one that let go one me) and has 4 small torex screws that hold the cover on and both surfaces had to be block sanded to fair them off. It was an expensive tow but it least it wasn't a head gasket!

Rick

Yes, that's the one. If it's that much trouble to clean up; I may just leave it unless I notice any performance issues.

BTW: Had a nice BBQ dinner with my friend last night and he gave me his 1995 Chevy S-10 truck. I've just come back from getting plates and insurance. We're going to pick it up in a little while.
Will take picks and give a run down of the vehicle when I get back.

I left the iX insured until I decide what to do with it... or the truck should I not bond with it winking smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Rick

Yes, that's the one. If it's that much trouble to clean up; I may just leave it unless I notice any performance issues.

BTW: Had a nice BBQ dinner with my friend last night and he gave me his 1995 Chevy S-10 truck. I've just come back from getting plates and insurance. We're going to pick it up in a little while.
Will take picks and give a run down of the vehicle when I get back.

I left the iX insured until I decide what to do with it... or the truck should I not bond with it winking smiley

It's no big deal, a block of wood and a 100 grit paper (maybe 80 if it needs it first) will do the trick. The alloy comes right down. I do think these things are necessary.
Yeh, it doesn't look like that much of a job...20 minutes tops smiling smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Famous last words grinning smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

That's why they invented Form-a-gasket grinning smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

That's why they invented Form-a-gasket grinning smiley

Yup, I used a bit of copper ATV on the new gasket too, even with the new surfaces. Go in once and get the job done! You'll need a very small torex though.... and give those four tiny screws a few taps and some squirrel juice first.
Archeo-peteriX

Humm, seems like many of us had this problem. My cork garket was replaced about 2 years ago. All the more reason to double check the coolant sensor's operation. Of course, I'm sure Peter's sensor does work. Mine did not, and I replaced it.

Cheers, Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login