Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a server, any words of wisdom?

Posted by Cab Treadway 
Thanks, I'll try that. Not sure when I'll have the time to work on it again, this weekend at the latest, but hopefully tonight.

I don't really understand how XP could have corrupted this, because the HDD in question has been formatted since I tried to install XP, and grub is loaded on Ubuntu install. But anyway, I have a couple of things in mind to try, I'd really like to get this running over the weekend.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
I tried the grub reloader trick, it didn't work. But I went in and reformatted the HDD again, this time NOT doing a "quick format," and then reloaded Ubuntu. It is working now, it booted from the hard drive, and is uploading updates right now. Now that the system seems to be running, I hope to have the file sharing working this weekend. But for now, it's bedtime. Baby steps and small successes... hot smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Cab Treadway
I tried the grub reloader trick, it didn't work. But I went in and reformatted the HDD again, this time NOT doing a "quick format," and then reloaded Ubuntu. It is working now, it booted from the hard drive, and is uploading updates right now. Now that the system seems to be running, I hope to have the file sharing working this weekend. But for now, it's bedtime. Baby steps and small successes... hot smiley

Congrats with your success smileys with beer

'Quick format' is like using cheese cloth for a condom grinning smiley
If you really want to dual-boot with Windows and Ubuntu, you'll have to install Windows first so that you don't break the bootloader. smiling smiley Goodluck Cab and let us know how it goes. If you need anything, send me a Buzz. smiling smiley
Ernest
If you really want to dual-boot with Windows and Ubuntu, you'll have to install Windows first so that you don't break the bootloader. smiling smiley Goodluck Cab and let us know how it goes. If you need anything, send me a Buzz. smiling smiley

I don't want to dual-boot. I am just running Win7 on the one machine, and Ubuntu on the other (file server).

It's working today, and yes, it really is THAT simple. I've made contact, and am easily transferring files from one machine to the other. Easy as pie. I was making it way too hard, and caused myself a ton of grief. Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
Now that you have it figured out; you're really going to enjoy it smileys with beer
I still have to figure out how to get the shared folders to stay shared. They don't remember that they're shared after I power off and back on. It's probably something else really easy, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
I think you might find that under 'system>preferences>startup applications'; you get the system to remember what was open when it shuts down. Since file sharing is done with an app, that might work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login