Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Registration fees in new york

Posted by rkj 
rkj
July 27, 2010 05:22PM
This year our registration fees have more than doubled for cars and motorcycles have more than tripled and atv's have gone up a few bucks. I was wondering how these fees where looking in your neck of the woods, and also wondering what has brought this all on, wall street, the war?... don't tell me, I know; bail-outs for the suits thumbs down

Rick
July 27, 2010 05:47PM
Nothing that drastic here...things just go up every year with no explanations :X
July 27, 2010 07:29PM
......the state is broke....at least here in California. DMV fees have gone up in an attempt to generate more money to waste.

alan
July 28, 2010 09:08AM
Had to pay € 280 yearly for the E30. The E46 will be a bit more.
July 28, 2010 01:16PM
How much is a lot? Pretty sure registration fee in Washington state is still under $100 for a year. Compared to the many other costs of car ownership, this strikes me as pennies... Not that I wouldn't mind not paying "pennies" smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
July 29, 2010 05:58AM
Here in Vermont it's $65/year, or $122 for 2 years. It has gone up a little, but nothing drastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 06:00AM by Dave_G.
rkj
July 29, 2010 10:05AM
Dave_G
Here in Vermont it's $65/year, or $122 for 2 years. It has gone up a little, but nothing drastic.

Huumm, maybe new york is just coming up to other states prices, just seemed like a steep jump for my bikes in one year; 10 bucks a year to 38, that's almost 400 percent mark up. Right?

Cars went up but not that much confused smiley

Well look, if I can't be counted on to help those poor wall street guys then who will confused smiley :mad:

Thanks for the input, but please keep the rates coming. I'd like to know what you're paying and where you live (general area is enough)

Regards, Rick
July 29, 2010 01:08PM
Sounds like it's a lot cheaper over there!

Had to pay € 430 (once) to get the license plates on my E46, just to get it onto my name. Insurance is about € 600 yearly.
July 30, 2010 04:38AM
Massachusetts can't really be defined with a single "registration" fee. Technically the true registration fee (keeping the plates current) is something like $50 for two years. But we have a mandatory $29/yr inspection, during which they plug in the OBD reader, kick the tires, and check the headlights. Then we have to pay an "excise tax" yearly to the town in which the car is registered. This is based on the value of the car and is obviously highest in the first couple years of a car's life. Basically what they do is they take the published MSRP for your car (no options), then in the 1st year you pay a 2.5% tax based on 90% of that MSRP. The next year, it's 70%, then 50%, 30%, and it settles at 10%. I think that's basically how it works. So if you keep your car for a long time, eventually you just have to pay the 10% cost every year. They really want you to get a new car every couple of years, it keeps the tax revenue up!

This confused me at first, so here's an example. For my 2004 E46, let's pretend the MSRP is $30k. The actual price when it was new was higher because of options, etc, but basically if there was a 325XiT in the Blue Book at $30k base, that's what they use. So for the first year of ownership, they take 90% of $30k = $27k. The tax I have to pay is 2.5% of that = $675. Then the next year I pay 2.5% based on 70% of $30k = $21k - tax = $525. Then it's down to 2.5% of 50% of $30k = $15k - tax = $375, then the next year is $225, then it settles at 2.5% of 10% of the initial MSRP ($3k) = $75. I will pay $75 yearly on that car for as long as I own it. If I buy a new car, the cycle starts all over again.

So technically this isn't a "registration" fee, but I consider it to be such because it's a yearly fee I have to pay to use my car. This is on top of the sales tax in that first year you buy it, and on top of the gas taxes we pay that are supposed to be used to maintain the roads. I really don't know what purpose the "excise" tax is, other than an excuse to get more money for the state and local gov't.

So the moral of the story is that to keep the E46 on the road, I pay $25 every year for the plate, $29 every year for the inspection, and ~$75 every year in tax. And it's MUCH worse in the first few years of ownership. I'm only down that low because the car is old enough to be in the bottom of the excise tax scale. The inspection and plate costs are the same for every car, but the excise tax varies depending on what the initial MSRP of your car was. So it's less for my Mazda, it is less for the E30 (whenever that gets back on the road), and it's much higher for the new Bentley. tongue sticking out smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
July 30, 2010 01:12PM
Cab Treadway
Massachusetts can't really be defined with a single "registration" fee. Technically the true registration fee (keeping the plates current) is something like $50 for two years. But we have a mandatory $29/yr inspection, during which they plug in the OBD reader, kick the tires, and check the headlights. Then we have to pay an "excise tax" yearly to the town in which the car is registered. This is based on the value of the car and is obviously highest in the first couple years of a car's life. Basically what they do is they take the published MSRP for your car (no options), then in the 1st year you pay a 2.5% tax based on 90% of that MSRP. The next year, it's 70%, then 50%, 30%, and it settles at 10%. I think that's basically how it works. So if you keep your car for a long time, eventually you just have to pay the 10% cost every year. They really want you to get a new car every couple of years, it keeps the tax revenue up!

This confused me at first, so here's an example. For my 2004 E46, let's pretend the MSRP is $30k. The actual price when it was new was higher because of options, etc, but basically if there was a 325XiT in the Blue Book at $30k base, that's what they use. So for the first year of ownership, they take 90% of $30k = $27k. The tax I have to pay is 2.5% of that = $675. Then the next year I pay 2.5% based on 70% of $30k = $21k - tax = $525. Then it's down to 2.5% of 50% of $30k = $15k - tax = $375, then the next year is $225, then it settles at 2.5% of 10% of the initial MSRP ($3k) = $75. I will pay $75 yearly on that car for as long as I own it. If I buy a new car, the cycle starts all over again.

So technically this isn't a "registration" fee, but I consider it to be such because it's a yearly fee I have to pay to use my car. This is on top of the sales tax in that first year you buy it, and on top of the gas taxes we pay that are supposed to be used to maintain the roads. I really don't know what purpose the "excise" tax is, other than an excuse to get more money for the state and local gov't.

So the moral of the story is that to keep the E46 on the road, I pay $25 every year for the plate, $29 every year for the inspection, and ~$75 every year in tax. And it's MUCH worse in the first few years of ownership. I'm only down that low because the car is old enough to be in the bottom of the excise tax scale. The inspection and plate costs are the same for every car, but the excise tax varies depending on what the initial MSRP of your car was. So it's less for my Mazda, it is less for the E30 (whenever that gets back on the road), and it's much higher for the new Bentley. tongue sticking out smiley

Yeah, those Bentley types are expensive..

Wow, all those fees do mount up, I guess I shouldn't complain about my 107.00 for two years plate fee, inspection 25.00 per year and 300.00 per 6 months insurance fees now that I'm an old fart smiling smiley

I think Connecticut has some steep fees too for cars and I'm sure they haven't gone down any...

Thanks guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login