Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Boat B)

Posted by rkj 
rkj
June 28, 2010 10:08PM
A gift from a friend, it's going to be great to be a Dingy sailor again.

Color me Happy thumbs up 14ft Blue Jay
June 29, 2010 06:34AM
rkj

What a great way to start the summer smileys with beer
Congrats on the new machine B)
rkj
June 29, 2010 10:19AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

What a great way to start the summer smileys with beer
Congrats on the new machine B)

Thanks Uncle Pete,

I'm really looking forward to it, judging by her bottom she'll pound a bit in the slop but should be a gas to sail, great fun in the backwaters and I'm sure we'll poke our heads out to open water (the bays) soon enough. Its a Sparkmen and Stevens design that started in 1947. I'm two years older eye rolling smiley

A Craigs list freebee, Yahooooo

I'll do a video of the splash.
June 29, 2010 02:20PM
Nice friends you have! Have fun!
June 29, 2010 03:07PM
Make sure to put a new timing belt on it.

alan

grinning smiley
June 29, 2010 04:50PM
With a pedigree like that, it should be a find handling boat and provide you with some real fun thumbs up
Is it fiberglass or marine plywood?
June 29, 2010 04:51PM
Sparkman and Stevens only used chains grinning smiley
rkj
June 29, 2010 06:14PM
alanrw
Make sure to put a new timing belt on it.

alan

grinning smiley

I was toying with the idea of a ultra small motor but No, not at this point. She stays pure winking smiley
rkj
June 29, 2010 06:25PM
Archeo-peteriX
With a pedigree like that, it should be a find handling boat and provide you with some real fun thumbs up
Is it fiberglass or marine plywood?

This one is glass and it's supposedly built in a good time period according to the expurts. It should be fun tacking around the neighborhood, again smileys with beer The wood you see inside is teak, in fact, All the wood is teak, some will get stained and varnished but the floor will just get holy stoned.

Paint will be (eventually) red (as in Ferrari) with buff decks and the name..... we're working on that, I like GEM at this point but if the old lady ever gets back she/it might wind up with some name or other, but it has to be good with both of us, we made a pact last night over the phone smiling smiley

Chains? I don't get it but that should come as no surprise smiling bouncing smiley

I was working on her today and Buddy finally came up for an inspection, he immediately sprawled out on the foredeck, my kinda kitty
rkj
June 29, 2010 06:29PM
Oh right, Chains as in timing. I'm such an idiot grinning smiley
June 29, 2010 08:17PM
June 29, 2010 08:18PM
An ash breeze is the only motor that vessel deserves...providing the wind stops blowing thumbs up
rkj
June 29, 2010 08:47PM
Archeo-peteriX
An ash breeze is the only motor that vessel deserves...providing the wind stops blowing thumbs up

oars? I could mount a pair of sweeps on her.

I'm hoping to keep her here at my point down the street.
June 30, 2010 09:35AM
That would be nice and convenient. She will get more use that way too thumbs up

I was thinking about the teak...are you sure you want to put varnish on that? I think I would probably just clean it up and oil it. Not even sure if varnish will hold to it for very long; as you know; teak is an oily wood .
rkj
June 30, 2010 12:29PM
Archeo-peteriX
That would be nice and convenient. She will get more use that way too thumbs up

I was thinking about the teak...are you sure you want to put varnish on that? I think I would probably just clean it up and oil it. Not even sure if varnish will hold to it for very long; as you know; teak is an oily wood .

Teak is a rough wood to deal with, on Athena I just cleaned it every year and left it at that, the oil tends to make it dark and weird looking after half a season or so then cleaning next year is harder. I've never really tried varnishing teak but the boat came that way and some of it is still intact. I think this wood is so bleached out I might just try a little and see what happens. My rule of thumb was wood interior was good for 5 years and outside was a year or so. There's so little wood on this boat it'll be fun keeping up with it.

There's some running rigging that needs replacement and the trailer needs a rubber thingy but I'm getting closer.

Whatever happened to Mellon Seed, do you get visitation rights?
June 30, 2010 02:06PM
Melonseed when to a new home but I have no idea what became of her. I didn't completely finish her up so the new owners will have taken care of that or at least I hope they have.
There have been no reports of a Melonseed sailing from out local marina and I check the storage yard each time I walk down that way.
June 30, 2010 03:22PM
Don't know about you guys, but here in Calfornia, Air Quality Management District has pretty much mandated new formulas for all paints to decrease volatiles in the atmosphere. The problem is that the new formulas render the paint and varnish a really crappy product. Stuff barely lasts a year these days.

House painters won't even guarantee trim paint anymore due to the new formulations.

alan
June 30, 2010 05:05PM
We will soon be forced to use 'water base' paints and stains on our furniture too. Fortunately the commercial grade stuff we use actually has better application and handling qualities than the VOC or solvent based stuff. Only time will tell how it stands up on things like solid wood tables and chairs.
rkj
June 30, 2010 08:49PM
Archeo-peteriX
We will soon be forced to use 'water base' paints and stains on our furniture too. Fortunately the commercial grade stuff we use actually has better application and handling qualities than the VOC or solvent based stuff. Only time will tell how it stands up on things like solid wood tables and chairs.

Hope they don't do away with west system!
June 30, 2010 08:56PM
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Don't know about West but there are already some excellent water based epoxies on the market and they perform as well as the solvent based ones. There are also water based polyurethane resins as well.
rkj
July 01, 2010 08:31AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Don't know about West but there are already some excellent water based epoxies on the market and they perform as well as the solvent based ones. There are also water based polyurethane resins as well.

Man, that doesn't seem possible, all that sticky and water based confused smiley crazy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login