Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, I was in a wreck today, poor Bev is hurt pretty bad sad smiley

Posted by Earendil 
First, all parties are perfectly fine.
I'll post the full story with pictures tonight, for now now that someone pulled out in front of me today. I was able to get the car almost to a complete stop, but not enough. The front of my car hit the side of a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder (SUV). My bumper just about cleared the underside of their car, but my lights and hood were not so lucky. I don't think there is any frame damage, and the steering is okay. I take it to get it appraised tomorrow. I'm really hoping they don't total it sad smiley
It was a square on hit, and the radiator didn't get pushed into the fan. I was able to drive away.

Ugg... I just can't believe it. I made her all pretty for the E30 picnic too.... I even waxed the bumper, one of the only places she still has a good amount of paint. Now that paint is scrapped off sad smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Oh, and Beverly (or Bev for short) is the name of my car, NOT a person. Sorry if anyone thought a human was hurt in the wreck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off, glad everyone is ok, sheet metal can always be replaced. You have a pick a part near you? There is an online place in northern calif. that has a lot of stuff and ships. Don't total it.

Check these guys out.

[www.bmrparts.com]

alan
Earendil
Oh, and Beverly (or Bev for short) is the name of my car, NOT a person. Sorry if anyone thought a human was hurt in the wreck.
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking the worst. I'm glad it was just bent metal, and no one was hurt. Parts can be replaced! Good luck getting her back and looking pretty again.

Alright ladies and gentlemen! Finally the insurance check is on the way. After buyback and other misc cost and additions, the check is being written for $1700. I have that much money to bring my poor baby back up to snuff. So, what would you guys do with that money?

Here is what needs replacing:
All low and high beams, including the brackets.
Left and right grills.
Center grill.
Hood.
Front passenger fender.

The car is still my daily driver, but with a branded title I'll never be able to sell it for close to what its worth.

So some options I'm considering are:

1. Make it barley street legal, replacing the above with used or cheap parts, spend money making it a track car.
2..Make it barley street legal, replacing the above with used or cheap parts, send money on a mountain bike.
3. Newish parts (except for fenders) and a cheap paint job. Making it a beautiful daily driver.
4. Other.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting newish Make it barley street legal, replacing the above with used or cheap parts, except for the fenders. Ball park about $800. Buy a used Mountain bike, and put any remaining money into the "Repair/track car some day" fund.

Anyone else care to muse about what they would do? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 10:41AM by Earendil.
Couple of six-packs, some elbow grease and good used parts to make it going again!
I would make it a beautiful daily driver.
Get used fender and hood after checking the price for new, you may be surprised. Have them painted right, either way.
Put on new grills, or get all three used from the same car, otherwise the dull plastic will never match and will look bad over the newly painted hood. Go for those new lights you always wanted, now you have a good excuse. grinning smiley

Or not, if you have better use for the money...
But if you like your car, and it is otherwise in good condition, fix it and get some more miles out of it.

Keep us posted!
As the other guys suggest...restore Bev with good used parts and have a small party with the left over money. If you do it right, there may even be enough left over for a bike that will be suitable if not elite grinning smiley
Archeo-peteriX
As the other guys suggest...restore Bev with good used parts and have a small party with the left over money. If you do it right, there may even be enough left over for a bike that will be suitable if not elite grinning smiley

Well, that is basically what I've decided to do...

I will certainly be getting the fender and hood used. However I picked up all 3 grill components for $70 or so. And after much searching, I figured that I'd be waiting a long time to get a good headlight setup. The problem is that ALL 4 lights and the bracket they sit in are smashed to tiny bits. Most of the for sale used lights are just the light themselves, not the bracket. And the bracket can't be purchased by its self as far as I can tell. So for $540 I have new brackets, low beams, and high beams. They might even all get here in time for the weekend! smiling smiley

And purchasing the Hood and Fender, and having them shipped, I'll see what kind of money is left over. If I can pick up new sports shocks/springs and a used mountain bike I will.

rkj
Earendil
Archeo-peteriX

I will certainly be getting the fender and hood used. However I picked up all 3 grill components for $70 or so. And after much searching, I figured that I'd be waiting a long time to get a good headlight setup. The problem is that ALL 4 lights and the bracket they sit in are smashed to tiny bits. Most of the for sale used lights are just the light themselves, not the bracket. And the bracket can't be purchased by its self as far as I can tell. So for $540 I have new brackets, low beams, and high beams. They might even all get here in time for the weekend! smiling smiley

And purchasing the Hood and Fender, and having them shipped, I'll see what kind of money is left over. If I can pick up new sports shocks/springs and a used mountain bike I will.

I applaud your way of sourcing out parts Tyler, but..... I've put so much money in Eubie (my 88 325is) over the last few years, and right now it's a new front end (control arms etc) that I'm thinking maybe a car payment isn't looking so bad after all!

But I keep sticking to the plan......love my car, love my car.......no payments, no payments..... Rick
rkj
Earendil
Archeo-peteriX

I applaud your way of sourcing out parts Tyler, but..... I've put so much money in Eubie (my 88 325is) over the last few years, and right now it's a new front end (control arms etc) that I'm thinking maybe a car payment isn't looking so bad after all!

But I keep sticking to the plan......love my car, love my car.......no payments, no payments..... Rick

I know exactly what you mean. If I wasn't sitting on an insurance check, I wouldn't be dropping $600 into the car to make it street legal at night. There are cheaper ways to do that. However, at this point I'll never sell the car (branded title and all...), so she is probably destined to be a for-fun track/rally car in few years. For now function wins out... and I'm pretty proud of my baby. I'd like her to not look like complete trash when I drive her around.

Remember, car parts are optional, car payments are not winking smiley

rkj
Earendil
rkj
Earendil
Archeo-peteriX

I know exactly what you mean. If I wasn't sitting on an insurance check, I wouldn't be dropping $600 into the car to make it street legal at night. There are cheaper ways to do that. However, at this point I'll never sell the car (branded title and all...), so she is probably destined to be a for-fun track/rally car in few years. For now function wins out... and I'm pretty proud of my baby. I'd like her to not look like complete trash when I drive her around.

Remember, car parts are optional, car payments are not winking smiley

Oh, I know that, at 65 I've built every car I have ever owned (and there have been a few wild ones) but the other day I walked into a showroom and pointed to something I've always wanted..... That felt really cool, even better than when I came home from nam and bought a brand new 1967 Triumph 650 scrambler B)

My only, two, new things in my life. Other than my three kids thumbs up

Good luck Tyler, I'm pulling for you.
September 10, 2010 12:16AM
I just went through a similar mess with my insurance company and a bit of rearend damage (not my fault). I am still miffed about it as I had to put out $1800 more than the insurance gave me to get it back together and looking nice as it was to begin with.

bob in Everett
Attachments:
open | download - compressed dent.jpg (51.1 KB)
September 10, 2010 12:18AM
The new title came back without any noticeable defect regarding being a salvaged repaired car. There may be a carfax record however. The insurance company to thank for that.

Bob in Everett
September 10, 2010 12:12PM
Just out of curiousity: what's the car next to the E30 in the picture?
September 10, 2010 12:30PM
Michiel 318iS
Just out of curiousity: what's the car next to the E30 in the picture?
Looks like a 1st-generation Camaro to me. Am I right? What do I win? smiling smiley

Click here to login