June 09, 2010 12:23PM
So, I have been hiding this from you for almost a week now. Last Thursday I picked up my new every day companion, hopefully for a lot of happy motoring.
Chose for a self igniter this time, a 2003 E46 320d, as I'll move in about a month's time and I'll need to cover a lot more kilometers, 96 more, single direction, coming from 10 km. That's 212 km daily.

Some facts: 150 hp, 330 Nm, 6 speed, 120.000 km, M-pack, cloth/alcantara sports seats, Xenon (with aftermarket angel eyes, not what I would do but looks nice)

Nice car, OBC averaged 5.5-5.7 l/100 km over 400 km now (that's 41-43 mpg for the US people), hope that reflects reality, I'll see when I get my 2nd refill (bought it with a quarter of a tank and haven't had to go yet).
Even with the 18" wheels the ride is comfortable, shorter bumps are more noticeable but not annoying. The wide 225/255 wheels do give some steering reaction when driving in ruts.

And the good old E30? I'm keeping it! The house I bought with my girlfriend has a big garage to it (25x8 meter), it'll rest there while being looked after (some rust and mechanical stuff to do, nothing major, just thorough maintenance). In 5 years time it'll officially be an old timer, which makes it much cheaper to run.
June 09, 2010 12:27PM
Nice! thumbs up I'm glad to hear you're keeping the E30. smiling smiley

June 09, 2010 03:17PM
Congratulations on the new purchases, house, car and all...smileys with beer

212Km per day is a lot to drive every day. Are you sure you can cope with it?
You will be driving more than two hours per day.
You may say "look who's talking" cause i moved to a city 70Km away from where I work...
It can get expensive if you add things up, i do most commuting by train so expenses are fixed, but i had one week doing it by car, with a renault megane 1.5dci, 6 sp., it averaged 6.8 (highway mostly, at 120km/h).
My old Citroen BX 1.6 averages 7.8 at the same duty, difference is gasoline costs a lot more...
My sister has a 320d from 1998, same color as yours, she claims around 6l/100 km, mostly highway driving at easy pace.

Keep us posted on your great projects!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login