Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer disaster!

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
June 08, 2010 07:56PM
Well, I've been motoring along happily with Ubuntu 9.10...the Ubuntu10.4 is released and is called an upgrade.

Like a dummy, I lazily let it do the auto install ... poof; partions destroyed and all data lost :X

So, being a little bit pissed off, I went looking for a new version of Linux. I read many, many reviews and narrowed it down to Ubuntu or Fedora. Since I'm sore at Ubuntu, I decided to install Fedora 13.

Worked like a charm, and is certainly easier to deal with than the older Ubuntu version.

I still have Win XP on the machine so I only lost any pictures I had taken since about Xmas time. Many of those were nice and safe online at PhotoBucket and Picasa. So, I'm not really as bad off as I could have been smiling smileyo

I'm actually liking the way forums look under the Fedora window manager smileys with beer

Only a couple more apps to track down and install then I'll be back to where I was and maybe a little ahead grinning smiley

BTW...when I go back to WinXP; I find it so antiquated and slooooooooooow sad smiley
June 08, 2010 10:01PM
......say what you will, just make sure you are backed up. Ubantu, Fedora? Who names these things?

alan
June 09, 2010 06:50AM
Must remember to do that on a regular basis if I do upgrades winking smiley

One nice feature of Linux is that since it is only a file system; it can all be compressed into a 'tar' file. This can be restored and the system will be exactly as before and work perfectly. No reinstallations or registry crap of any kind smileys with beer
June 09, 2010 12:24PM
alanrw
Ubantu, Fedora? Who names these things?
alan
Ubuntu is supposedly an ancient African word meaning 'humanity to others'. That makes at least as much sense as naming an operating system after a framed hole in a wall, or a kind of apple. Fedora is an offshoot of Red Hat, whose logo is a red fedora.

BTW, I'm a system administrator, and I've been using Linux as my primary desktop OS since 1995. I still keep the other OSes around at work, and also have Windows at home for those few things that require it (not many any more), but mostly it's Linux. I've been through many distributions and am now using Fedora 11, so if you have any questions, Peter, just ask. (Or will I regret saying that? smiling smiley)

June 09, 2010 03:22PM
It is safe to burn a DVD before major steps, like OS installation or upgrade...
Either that or buy a new hard drive, install the new stuff there from scratch, and if things take a shape you don't like, you still have the old system intact.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 09, 2010 06:44PM
Should I have any questions; I'll happily swamp you with them winking smiley

Actually, I was a Sun Solaris admin for about 5 years. While I've lost a good portion of that knowledge, I'm still quite comfortable working with Linux. It didn't take me all that long to get back up to snuff once the initial downloads where completed. Fedora installed in a fraction of the time it took Ubuntu 10.4 to destroy the partitions smiling smiley
June 09, 2010 06:47PM
Jose Pinto
It is safe to burn a DVD before major steps, like OS installation or upgrade...
Either that or buy a new hard drive, install the new stuff there from scratch, and if things take a shape you don't like, you still have the old system intact.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hi Jose,

With Windows, I used to do a complete backup once a month. When my old industry disappeared, I switched over to Linux and just never got around to doing a good back up sad smiley

I'm going to grab a second hard drive and use it just for this purpose thumbs up
June 13, 2010 02:26PM
Well, Fedora 13 turned out to be rather unstable on my machine sad smiley

I nuked it and did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.4... runs like a well tuned E30 smileys with beer

Had everything installed and back up in less than 1 hour. The new release makes many things easier and quicker.

If anyone is not happy with Windows and can't afford a Mac; this is probably one of the best Linux distributions available for the average user thumbs up
June 13, 2010 09:43PM
Peter, does it run all programs or do you have to get Ubantu specific programs? Cd burning software, movie editing, browsers, etc?

alan
June 14, 2010 05:39AM
alanrw
Peter, does it run all programs or do you have to get Ubantu specific programs? Cd burning software, movie editing, browsers, etc?
Linux has programs that do all of that stuff. I do pretty much all my work within Linux, including all my digital photography. Sometimes there are Linux versions of programs we're familiar with from Windows (e.g. Firefox, Thunderbird), but often they are separate programs. Most of them are open source and free to install.

The only things I need to fire up Windows for these days are:
1. My OBD-II scanner software
2. The GPS-based datalogger program for my track car (although I can run that one within a Windows emulator under Linux)
3. My driving sim programs (rFactor and Grand Prix Legends)

Click here to login