Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

That E30 connection

Posted by Earendil 
May 06, 2010 11:33AM
The area known as the Columbia Gorge is about 160 square miles and has a population of about 50,000 that is dispersed throughout. Suffice to say that E30's are not a common site by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I thought I knew the only other E30 owner (A coworker with an ix).

Until that is a few months ago, when I passed a silver IX that was parked at a gym. The location hinted that it might be a local, but I didn't have time to poke around. Well yesterday I pull into the local grocery store, and parked out away from the entrance was that same silver IX. I couldn't help but park right behind it, and look it over. Afterwards, I went inside, bought a few things, and came out to find the car still parked there. I decided a friendly note to the guy who owns that car might be cool (at least I'd appreciate it, I'm sure a large segment of the population would find that weird). So I'm sitting in my car with the door open, half way through writing my one liner on a piece of paper, when a voice says "Nice ride" in a distinctively female voice. I only managed a "you too" before she sank into her car and took off.

I wave at fellow E30 drivers all the time, but they don't wave back too often. Rarely has someone initiated the car compliment with me, and never is it a female of the same age as me smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
May 06, 2010 02:47PM
Earendil
The area known as the Columbia Gorge is about 160 square miles and has a population of about 50,000 that is dispersed throughout. Suffice to say that E30's are not a common site by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I thought I knew the only other E30 owner (A coworker with an ix).

Until that is a few months ago, when I passed a silver IX that was parked at a gym. The location hinted that it might be a local, but I didn't have time to poke around. Well yesterday I pull into the local grocery store, and parked out away from the entrance was that same silver IX. I couldn't help but park right behind it, and look it over. Afterwards, I went inside, bought a few things, and came out to find the car still parked there. I decided a friendly note to the guy who owns that car might be cool (at least I'd appreciate it, I'm sure a large segment of the population would find that weird). So I'm sitting in my car with the door open, half way through writing my one liner on a piece of paper, when a voice says "Nice ride" in a distinctively female voice. I only managed a "you too" before she sank into her car and took off.

I wave at fellow E30 drivers all the time, but they don't wave back too often. Rarely has someone initiated the car compliment with me, and never is it a female of the same age as me smiling smiley

I had something like that happen to me; I was sitting outside one of my favorite take-out places having a bite to eat and a lovely looking women sticks her head in the passenger side window and starts telling me how her car/restoration was going, a 325 parked a ways away. That upped my ego for the rest of the day smiling smiley
May 06, 2010 05:13PM
Earendil
And you didn't even get her phone number? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The only time that's ever happened to me it was from a 4-year-old holding the hand of his mom smiling smiley (http://bmwe30network.net/forums/read.php?4,4517)

May 06, 2010 06:11PM
Since you've now seen this car twice...third time lucky grinning smiley

Maybe this is the new future Mrs Earendil and you just don't know it yet winking smiley
May 06, 2010 07:44PM
Archeo-peteriX

Maybe this is the new future Mrs Earendil and you just don't know it yet winking smiley

Ah, ever the hopeless romantic!!!!

smiling bouncing smiley

alan
May 06, 2010 10:48PM
Archeo-peteriX

haha, tyler has had a girlfriend for quite some time now as far as i know. i don't think she'd be too keen on this!

speaking of people who have girlfriends thinking about other girls in E30s, i saw a pretty blonde around my age driving a red 318i on the highway today. just saying. B)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 10:48PM by daniel.
May 08, 2010 02:00AM
That's just great! Around here, Alfa drivers start waving when their cars are about 10 years old (alfa's die young). Got my first wave only 3-4 weeks ago, from a young (male, alas) E30 driver, though I've waved many of them before.

E30's might be just to reliable, the people still driving them are not car lovers, just happy that the car they bought lasted this long. Alfa's don't last that long, so at a bit of age, the drivers are still happy to have them on the road and wave to encourage each other.
May 10, 2010 06:29PM
Yes, I do have a lovely girlfriend of two and a half years now. In any case, it would never work out between me and a girl who had a love for E30's. What happens when her's brakes down and she wants to use mine? That's how conflict and wars are started.

My gf is content to accompany me to E30 events, which is as much as I could ask for smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login