Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spent the week end lokking for a replacement for our...

Posted by Archeo-peteriX 
20 year old Honda Civic.

I was hoping that the Ford Focus was going to be it but after test driving half a dozen 2 and 3 year old ones, we dismissed them as not worth the time we spent looking sad smiley

None of them had more than 60,000km on them and most were lease returns.
Seems these cares get pretty loose in a short period of time and all of them vibrated like massage chairs when at a stop; in neutral or drive!

Over all, none of the models were comfortable to either myself or my wife.

We have also excluded the Mazda 3. It drives nice and has good power but there is so much cheap plastic and other aesthetics compared to Toyota or Honda that we just didn't feel like we would be getting value for the money. Also, the Mazda 3(2007 fully equipped model) was noisier on the road than our existing Civic eye popping smiley

We drove Hondas, Toyotas, Suzukis, Fords, a Chev and a Scion xB. The Hondas and Toyotas were definitely several notches above all the others except for the Scion. Unfortunately, the Scion isn't what my wife wants to be seen in winking smiley

Looks like it will end up being another Civic or perhaps a Corolla(she has already forgotten about the recent Toyota troubles winking smiley ).

I will likely be getting myself into a small pick up too. The iX will likely be donated to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, since it isn't really worth much any more; maybe $1500 to $2500 CDN.
Not sure what I will get yet but it will have to be cheap :wink:
don't give away the iX! i'll take it smiling smiley

good luck in your search for the new car. i'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on!

Archeo-peteriX
We have also excluded the Mazda 3. It drives nice and has good power but there is so much cheap plastic and other aesthetics compared to Toyota or Honda that we just didn't feel like we would be getting value for the money. Also, the Mazda 3(2007 fully equipped model) was noisier on the road than our existing Civic eye popping smiley

That's too bad. I really like my Mazda. I haven't done extensive comparisons with the other models, so I'm not sure what you mean by "so much cheap plastic," but I guess it's true that one man's trash is another man's, uh, adequately equipped vehicle. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'm sure that the Civic and Corolla do better on fuel economy, though. After almost 4 years, that's the one thing I've been a little disappointed with. I occasionally get 30+ mpg over a tankful, but most of the time it's in the 28 range. That's certainly a lot better than I was getting with the E30, but still less than I had hoped for when I got it.

We drove Hondas, Toyotas, Suzukis, Fords, a Chev and a Scion xB. The Hondas and Toyotas were definitely several notches above all the others except for the Scion. Unfortunately, the Scion isn't what my wife wants to be seen in winking smiley

Naturally the Scion compared well with the Toyota, being a Toyota and all. grinning smiley

Looks like it will end up being another Civic or perhaps a Corolla(she has already forgotten about the recent Toyota troubles winking smiley ).

You could certainly do a lot worse than one of those! I imagine you looked at the Honda Fit/Jazz (not sure what it's called in Canada) as well? I hear very good things about those little guys.

Funny thing about the recent Toyota issues... I read in Automobile that since Toyota had the problems, several other companies have quietly also released news of recalls, but of course they weren't as severe so they don't get the headlines. Also, I read that the problems that Toyota had were no worse than those that plague other manufacturers, on a percentage basis they have the same problems as everyone, but because they sell so many more cars than everyone else, that same percentage results in a larger number of cars. Obviously Toyota's problems were serious, but I just get the impression that they're not really worse than the risks you take with any other company. Go figure.

I will likely be getting myself into a small pick up too. The iX will likely be donated to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, since it isn't really worth much any more; maybe $1500 to $2500 CDN.

Too bad, but I understand that it doesn't really suit your needs well. I'm sure you'll find it a good home.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
Cab Treadway
Archeo-peteriX

That's too bad. I really like my Mazda. I haven't done extensive comparisons with the other models, so I'm not sure what you mean by "so much cheap plastic," but I guess it's true that one man's trash is another man's, uh, adequately equipped vehicle. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'm sure that the Civic and Corolla do better on fuel economy, though. After almost 4 years, that's the one thing I've been a little disappointed with. I occasionally get 30+ mpg over a tankful, but most of the time it's in the 28 range. That's certainly a lot better than I was getting with the E30, but still less than I had hoped for when I got it.

Naturally the Scion compared well with the Toyota, being a Toyota and all. grinning smiley

You could certainly do a lot worse than one of those! I imagine you looked at the Honda Fit/Jazz (not sure what it's called in Canada) as well? I hear very good things about those little guys.

Funny thing about the recent Toyota issues... I read in Automobile that since Toyota had the problems, several other companies have quietly also released news of recalls, but of course they weren't as severe so they don't get the headlines. Also, I read that the problems that Toyota had were no worse than those that plague other manufacturers, on a percentage basis they have the same problems as everyone, but because they sell so many more cars than everyone else, that same percentage results in a larger number of cars. Obviously Toyota's problems were serious, but I just get the impression that they're not really worse than the risks you take with any other company. Go figure.

Too bad, but I understand that it doesn't really suit your needs well. I'm sure you'll find it a good home.

What you say about all the car companies having recalls is so true. It did, and was because of the braking issues that Toyota got all the heat but many cars have dangerous recalls too, you just never hear about it; more than you could imagine actually. In my years (1968-1974) with Lincoln-Mercury there were more recalls then you could shake a stick at, many dangerous ones. They're american though eye rolling smiley

It's too bad that these latest design flaws were not handled in a more sweeping way so the drive by wire could have been redesigned or handled in some other way; that would've been progress not a band aid.

Although Janet and I both drive German cars my last three purchases (motorcycles) have been Japanese.

Good luck finding something Peter, here's an idea; let's make an E30 pick-up, we could even have a IXer thumbs up
I've thought about an iX pickup. Unfortunately the cost of doing this conversion is way out of my means sad smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
I've thought about an iX pickup. Unfortunately the cost of doing this conversion is way out of my means sad smiley

Too bad you're so far away uncle Pete, me and my panel cutter would be there! Is a truck what you're after?, did you settle on a car for the Missus?
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

Too bad you're so far away uncle Pete, me and my panel cutter would be there! Is a truck what you're after?, did you settle on a car for the Missus?

You and I would have a lot of fun if we lived closer winking smiley

Yes, a truck makes more sense for me than another car.
We haven't decided completely on a new car for the missus but I think we'll be looking hard for a 2007 Honda Civic. Newer would be nice but our budget won't allow it...besides, if I find one that has 50,000km or less, it won't make that much difference; we already got 400,000km on the existing one smiling smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

We haven't decided completely on a new car for the missus but I think we'll be looking hard for a 2007 Honda Civic. Newer would be nice but our budget won't allow it...besides, if I find one that has 50,000km or less, it won't make that much difference; we already got 400,000km on the existing one smiling smiley

We'd be out on the trails for sure smileys with beer and generally acting like proper kids thumbs up

So, truck it is then, that should be relatively easy to find confused smiley those things are usually beat by the time they come to market but you might get lucky if you're careful.

I looked at the Honda cars too, we almost bought one then decided to fix Janet's 325 and have no payments; I hope we made the right decision...

Cheers Peter, and good luck on the hunt. You'll still be here though, right?
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

You guys are family; why would I leave winking smiley

Chances are that a small tuck might end up with a slightly modified M10 eye popping smiley

We'd be out on the trails for sure smileys with beer and generally acting like proper kids thumbs up

So, truck it is then, that should be relatively easy to find confused smiley those things are usually beat by the time they come to market but you might get lucky if you're careful.

I looked at the Honda cars too, we almost bought one then decided to fix Janet's 325 and have no payments; I hope we made the right decision...

Cheers Peter, and good luck on the hunt. You'll still be here though, right?
Well, after much research, many test drivers and even more salesmen fairy tales; we've decide on a 2006 Honda Civic as the replacement for the old 1990 model.
We will probably have to spend a bit more than we budgeted but I think it will be worth it in the end. We got a good solid 20 years of mostly trouble free performance from the old one and I'm pretty sure the new ones are even better made...we'll probably be turning in our driver's licenses when this ones done winking smiley

The iX is still up in the air since there won't be enough money to buy a decent late model pick up. One thing at a time I guess.
rkj
Archeo-peteriX
Well, after much research, many test drivers and even more salesmen fairy tales; we've decide on a 2006 Honda Civic as the replacement for the old 1990 model.
We will probably have to spend a bit more than we budgeted but I think it will be worth it in the end. We got a good solid 20 years of mostly trouble free performance from the old one and I'm pretty sure the new ones are even better made...we'll probably be turning in our driver's licenses when this ones done winking smiley

The iX is still up in the air since there won't be enough money to buy a decent late model pick up. One thing at a time I guess.

Good luck Peter, sounds like a good choice smileys with beer
Well, never say never winking smiley

After test driving all the cars we thought 'she that must be obeyed' would like; we ended up getting a 2009 Nissan Versa hatchback. We hadn't even considered a Nissan but the test drive won us over. It is very similar in stance to the Mazda3 if not quite as sporty or as much a performer.
The interior space is quite large and open compared to the looks from the outside and the rear seats easily accommodate some one who is 6 foot or taller. The seats are very comfortable yet very supportive; this may have been one of the biggest deciding factors.

This car is silver/grey with charcoal cloth interior and is quite nicely appointed for a small car. I'll take pictures when we pick it up on Tuesday. For now here is a pic off the net...

The old Civic was our trade in so the iX is safe for a while longer winking smiley
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

After test driving all the cars we thought 'she that must be obeyed' would like; we ended up getting a 2009 Nissan Versa hatchback. We hadn't even considered a Nissan but the test drive won us over. It is very similar in stance to the Mazda3 if not quite as sporty or as much a performer.
The interior space is quite large and open compared to the looks from the outside and the rear seats easily accommodate some one who is 6 foot or taller. The seats are very comfortable yet very supportive; this may have been one of the biggest deciding factors.

This car is silver/grey with charcoal cloth interior and is quite nicely appointed for a small car. I'll take pictures when we pick it up on Tuesday. For now here is a pic off the net...

The old Civic was our trade in so the iX is safe for a while longer winking smiley

If you picked it, it must be good smiling smiley Zephyr and I went for a Matrix after the 318ti got punched out by that deer. If ya can't beat em joint em smileys with beer

Tomorrow the big day?
rkj
Archeo-peteriX

If you picked it, it must be good smiling smiley Zephyr and I went for a Matrix after the 318ti got punched out by that deer. If ya can't beat em joint em smileys with beer

Tomorrow the big day?

Yep, we do the deed at high noon...kind of sad to see the old girl go since she's been so reliable for 20 years. We were just cleaning her out and couldn't help noticing how she looks almost new inside and not too bad outside, with the exception of the usual parking lot dings.
I just hope the new Nissan will give us similar service; I'll be happy with 10 years and 200,000k smiling smiley
Congratulations on the new car!

Is funny how you thoroughly tested cars, and ended up with something completely different from what you first start looking for! B)
Jose Pinto
Congratulations on the new car!

Is funny how you thoroughly tested cars, and ended up with something completely different from what you first start looking for! B)

Yes, it is quite funny how we are brand oriented sometimes...then we experience something different and look what happens!

I am just happy that we got to experinece a couple of cars outside of our criteria smiling smiley
Goodness only knows, we could have anded up with a perfectly good car that we might have made 'excuses' for as far as comfort and fit are concerned winking smiley

My wife and aughter were driving it on the freeway yesterday and discovered they could whisper to one another and still be perfectly understood!
I have only experienced this one time before and that was in a Lincoln TownCar from the 80s...even my iX is no where near that quiet sad smiley
Cars came a long way since the 80s, there are no bad new cars, and prices are better than, say, 10 years ago.

An uncle of mine had a Nissan 280C (also called Cedric or Gloria), back then.

(just some picture from the web)

It had a straight six diesel engine, RWD, very good car for the time, match for the MB300D or BMW524d, if you don't mind the design...
It was the top of the Datsun line-up then.

Now, we will have an electric nissan next year...
All the models you mentioned don't exist over here.
rkj
Jose Pinto
Cars came a long way since the 80s, there are no bad new cars, and prices are better than, say, 10 years ago.

An uncle of mine had a Nissan 280C (also called Cedric or Gloria), back then.

(just some picture from the web)

It had a straight six diesel engine, RWD, very good car for the time, match for the MB300D or BMW524d, if you don't mind the design...
It was the top of the Datsun line-up then.

Now, we will have an electric nissan next year...
All the models you mentioned don't exist over here.

Hi Jose Pinto..... Yeah, bring on those lectric cars smileys with beer
Hi Rick!

[www.electric-mobility.com]

[www.renault-ze.com]

The government is subsidizing the move to battery-electric cars, so here they are!
There have always been battery-electric vehicles, but now is time...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login