Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new prices for old cars ?

Posted by jaffar 
March 17, 2010 01:32AM
well i don't know if my topic name is too good but anyway - how can i find out some prices for our old cars, when they were new ?
thanks

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
March 17, 2010 08:53AM
Depends on how old. The online version of the Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) has just about every car sold in the US back to 1990.
Older than that, perhaps just spend time on google? smiling smiley

Hopefully someone has some better ideas than mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
March 17, 2010 01:02PM
I have a collection of CarGuide magazines going back a few years. They were used as the official program book for the annual Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal new auto shows.

The 1985 magazine lists the BMW 325e at $24k-$24.5k in 1985 Canadian dollars.

The 1989 magazine lists the 325i at $32.9k-$33.9k,
the 325i Cabriolet at $41.5k,
the 325ix at $43.75k
and the M3 at $56.2k, in 1989 Cdn dollars.

The 1990 magazine shows the 318i/325i listed at up to $35k, and the 325i Cabriolet at $43k, in 1990 Cdn dollars.
March 17, 2010 05:56PM
Ferdinand
I have a collection of CarGuide magazines going back a few years. They were used as the official program book for the annual Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal new auto shows.

the 325ix at $43.75k

The 1990 magazine shows the 318i/325i listed at up to $35k, and the 325i Cabriolet at $43k, in 1990 Cdn dollars.

I wonder when the iX will start going back up in value...it wouldn't even sell for $4.375k today winking smiley
rkj
March 17, 2010 06:58PM
Ferdinand

the 325ix at $43.75k

Those prices all sound right (I lived them each year going up and up). My 1986 325es was 23k US I think. I have it somewhere in the office. It was not a cheap car and in those days 10k would buy you a whole lot of car; new and used smiling smiley

I know what you mean Peter, I'm getting attached to mine too grinning smiley
March 17, 2010 09:13PM
I think my 84 325E was like $22-23K. Bought it in April 1984, still going strong!!! Worth every penny!!!

smileys with beer

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 09:13PM by alanrw.
March 18, 2010 05:22AM
Archeo-peteriX
I wonder when the iX will start going back up in value...it wouldn't even sell for $4.375k today winking smiley
I guess you missed this gem that recently sold on eBay: 1988 325iX -- for US$13,251!!eye popping smiley

OK, granted, this is by far the most immaculate iX I've ever seen, and it only has 58K miles on it. But still... Wow. That's more than twice the price of the next most expensive iX I've seen recently. They are still highly regarded and sought-after cars, and I think we can expect really nice ones like this to start increasing in value very soon, if they haven't already.

March 18, 2010 08:07AM
Prices in Europe were pretty different than the ones in the US.
My insurance broken made me an offer yesterday and told me my E36 320i was 15.ooo EUR when new. I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than that.

I've been spending some time on google, but I think I've become unable to find the right keywords smiling smiley

I know there's an insurance catalogue that has ALL cars with the value for new, and the value for each year after - but I can't find it anywhere, only the insurance companies seem to have it.

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
March 18, 2010 11:53AM
So what looked expensive at the time turns out to be real cheap over time.
March 22, 2010 04:06AM
Michiel 318iS
So what looked expensive at the time turns out to be real cheap over time.

I think that's true for most cars, if you maintain them and continue to operate them long term. Once the car is paid for, if you maintain it properly, it should continue to operate well for a long time (assuming it's a decently built car to begin with) and end up being relatively inexpensive on a per year basis.

My wife and I have just been discussing our E46. We've had it for just over 5 years now, and it's 6 years old in all, and it really feels the same to us as when we bought it. We haven't had any major malfunctions with it, and the problems we have had have been covered by warranty. It's out of warranty now, but hopefully I will be able to do the majority of the work it may need in the future. I would have easily been able to do the work that has been needed, but chose to let the dealer do it under warranty. I consider it a well built car, and in the last five years, it has proven to be a very good choice for us. I think if we keep it for a few more years, it will prove to be relatively inexpensive compared to a cheaper car that would have needed replacement.

The only reason we foresee needing a new car is our second child is almost here, and the E46 is not exactly ultra roomy, particularly with two very tall passengers in the front and two car seats in the back. There won't be anywhere for the dog to sit! Hopefully we can make it through #2's first year, because at that point both car seats will be front-facing, but with a rear-facing seat behind the passenger seat, there will be very little room for a front seat passenger's knees.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 22, 2010 11:16AM
Cab Treadway
The only reason we foresee needing a new car is our second child is almost here, and the E46 is not exactly ultra roomy, particularly with two very tall passengers in the front and two car seats in the back.

If you ever feel the need to give it to a new and loving home, that will appreciate the room it provides, you know how to find me grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
March 23, 2010 04:02AM
Earendil
Cab Treadway
The only reason we foresee needing a new car is our second child is almost here, and the E46 is not exactly ultra roomy, particularly with two very tall passengers in the front and two car seats in the back.

If you ever feel the need to give it to a new and loving home, that will appreciate the room it provides, you know how to find me grinning smiley

We do love the car, and hope we don't need to get something else. However, the thought of riding around in the front seat with our knees in our faces for a year until the baby seat can be turned around is less than pleasant. I've heard on my E46 forum that people have had two car seats in the back (including rear-facing, IIRC) and had no space issues in the front. I frankly don't see how that's possible. Our infant seat for our daughter, if we installed it behind a front seat instead of in the middle, forced that front seat so far forward that I don't understand how anyone taller than 3'5" could have fit. And even with the wagon, once there are two car seats in the back, there won't be any room for the doggie, since the wagon back is usually filled with strollers and diaper bags and other gear.

We may be simply taking two cars around for the first year, whenever we all go somewhere together. It will be a little obnoxious, but certainly cheaper than a new car. However, a minivan is likely inevitable in our future at some point. Neither of us have a problem with that (I just wish they came in RWD with a manual), but we don't look forward to giving up the E46. It really is a great car.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 23, 2010 10:01AM
Cab Treadway
a minivan is likely inevitable in our future at some point. Neither of us have a problem with that (I just wish they came in RWD with a manual)
I had to give up my AE86 Corolla GTS for a minivan when we had our second child. We got a Toyota Previa because it was RWD and I insisted on it having a manual transmission. Those were rare.
March 23, 2010 11:01AM
Ferdinand
I had to give up my AE86 Corolla GTS for a minivan when we had our second child. We got a Toyota Previa because it was RWD and I insisted on it having a manual transmission. Those were rare.
We also had a Previa when the kids were small and numerous (four of 'em). It was a good vehicle, but ours was an automatic. I've never seen a manual Previa. Must be one of those Canada-only things. smiling smiley

Click here to login