Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's Spring, I'm calling it.

Posted by rkj 
rkj
March 12, 2010 05:30PM
Here, on the east end of Long Island, New York it has been so nice this last week I'm calling it

I'm watching a rain storm come in but next week (for my Birthday) it'll be nice enough for the Miss' to get on the bike for a day out and about smileys with beer

Hey Cab, I think you're getting this one too, could be a little flooding.

Have a good weekend everybody smiling bouncing smiley

Rick
March 12, 2010 05:57PM
rkj
Here, on the east end of Long Island, New York it has been so nice this last week I'm calling it

I'm watching a rain storm come in but next week (for my Birthday) it'll be nice enough for the Miss' to get on the bike for a day out and about smileys with beer

Rick

Rick; we're due thumbs up

A little unsettled weather here but the daffodils are nearly done and the tulips are coming on strong!
Lots of colour and the trees are starting to flesh/green out B)

Hope you get a good ride in grinning smiley
March 13, 2010 08:09AM
No signs of spring yet, here. Though I like winter (as every season), I'm now longing for spring, the smell of nature waking up, the colours, the views.
March 13, 2010 08:48AM
LOL, wait till the Puxatony Phil finds out he's he's just been given his laidoff pink slip!! I tell you, this recession is hitting everyone!!

alan
rkj
March 14, 2010 12:13PM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

Rick

Rick; we're due thumbs up

A little unsettled weather here but the daffodils are nearly done and the tulips are coming on strong!
Lots of colour and the trees are starting to flesh/green out B)

Hope you get a good ride in grinning smiley

Hi Peter, You guys are way ahead of us- The Daffy's are a few weeks away (if we're lucky) and the buds are not even started on the earliest of things growing. I think everybody has seen a lot of snow this winter (not that its a bad thing) but now my right wrist is ready for some twisting, I've been out a few times this winter on the bike but now the warm weather will be most welcome.

I love all the seasons but the one coming up is sure my pick of the litter smiling bouncing smiley Yeah hot smiley Bring it on

65, boy, that went fast!

Rick
March 14, 2010 04:59PM
Seems like I'm getting there pretty fast as well...just had my 62nd back on the 2nd thumbs up
March 15, 2010 04:34AM
Lots of rain over the weekend, but no flooding in or around our place. A few roads this morning on my commute had some deep puddles, and the traffic was moving more slowly than usual, but it really wasn't bad.

We're headed out of my two favorite seasons... Fall is by far my favorite, and winter is fun. Spring here is so muddy, and seems to have few of those really nice days. It's either wet and mucky or jumps right into summer. I'd much prefer a few weeks of gradually warming temps to cold and muddy and then hot. Summer here is my least favorite, although some of the days are wonderful. I can't stand humidity, and although we don't get it all that much here, the days we do get make me wonder how people can live down south.

Really, though, about the only thing that I care about right now is that I'll be done with school in just a few weeks. The weather can do whatever it wants, I just want to finish this degree and go back to my regularly scheduled programming. hot smiley

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
March 17, 2010 07:05PM
Cab Treadway
Lots of rain over the weekend, but no flooding in or around our place. A few roads this morning on my commute had some deep puddles, and the traffic was moving more slowly than usual, but it really wasn't bad.

We're headed out of my two favorite seasons... Fall is by far my favorite, and winter is fun. Spring here is so muddy, and seems to have few of those really nice days. It's either wet and mucky or jumps right into summer. I'd much prefer a few weeks of gradually warming temps to cold and muddy and then hot. Summer here is my least favorite, although some of the days are wonderful. I can't stand humidity, and although we don't get it all that much here, the days we do get make me wonder how people can live down south.

Really, though, about the only thing that I care about right now is that I'll be done with school in just a few weeks. The weather can do whatever it wants, I just want to finish this degree and go back to my regularly scheduled programming. hot smiley

That's good news Cab, people in Jersey got flooded big time and are still not having power and stuff sad smiley many have lost a lot. The Island got slammed with high gusts and high tides but nothing too bad eye rolling smiley

After school is finished what will you have to show for it?

Glad to hear everything's going well, soon maybe that poor old black car will feel some love thumbs up

Give the Guys a kiss for me, Rick
March 18, 2010 11:12AM
rkj

I'll have a masters degree in electrical engineering. What that, in and of itself, means to my company is yet to be determined. I am not guaranteed any kind of raise or promotion, but if nothing else, it's a good thing to have on my resume if my company decides to not (financially) recognize it. Either way, I feel like I've learned a good deal, and that will help me out in my career no matter what happens with the employment situation.

rkj
Glad to hear everything's going well, soon maybe that poor old black car will feel some love thumbs up

I certainly hope I'll have some time to do a little tinkering now and then. However, the new baby in June will change our lives in all sorts of unanticipated ways, so as sad as it is to say, I am sure that it will still be quite a while before any serious attention is paid to my poor E30. I should, at the very least, spend some time prepping it more appropriately for long-term storage; it's already been sitting for 3.5 yrs, and I never even drained anything. I did disconnect the battery (I should physically remove it), and I don't care about the tires it is sitting on, but I really should spend some time on it just so the storage damage is minimized. I justify not doing that because my eventual plan is to install a whole new engine/drivetrain/cooling system anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned with the seals on the current mechanicals or anything. I'd like a set of wheel dollies at the least, and I would love to spend a few days and pull the engine/tranny out, but there seems to always be something else more pressing to do...

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 18, 2010 06:13PM
Cab, what is your thesis on?
March 22, 2010 03:56AM
Archeo-peteriX
Cab, what is your thesis on?

I'm doing a no-thesis option. My school has a couple of ways to complete the program. You can do 27 credits of classwork plus thesis, 30 credits plus some kind of research project, or 33 credits of classwork. I knew that I would likely find it very difficult to find time to do either a thesis or a research project, so I chose the all-classwork option.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
March 24, 2010 04:34PM
Cab Treadway
rkj

I'll have a masters degree in electrical engineering. What that, in and of itself, means to my company is yet to be determined. I am not guaranteed any kind of raise or promotion, but if nothing else, it's a good thing to have on my resume if my company decides to not (financially) recognize it. Either way, I feel like I've learned a good deal, and that will help me out in my career no matter what happens with the employment situation.

rkj

I certainly hope I'll have some time to do a little tinkering now and then. However, the new baby in June will change our lives in all sorts of unanticipated ways, so as sad as it is to say, I am sure that it will still be quite a while before any serious attention is paid to my poor E30. I should, at the very least, spend some time prepping it more appropriately for long-term storage; it's already been sitting for 3.5 yrs, and I never even drained anything. I did disconnect the battery (I should physically remove it), and I don't care about the tires it is sitting on, but I really should spend some time on it just so the storage damage is minimized. I justify not doing that because my eventual plan is to install a whole new engine/drivetrain/cooling system anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned with the seals on the current mechanicals or anything. I'd like a set of wheel dollies at the least, and I would love to spend a few days and pull the engine/tranny out, but there seems to always be something else more pressing to do...

So you'll be a Doctor of electrical engineering thumbs up cool smileys with beer

I know how two kids will affect projects but you might find some time for your old flame sitting in the garage sad smiley Let us know when you graduate, we'll all have a toast, internet style...

Rick
March 25, 2010 04:34AM
rkj
So you'll be a Doctor of electrical engineering thumbs up cool smileys with beer

No, not a doctor. I have no desire to pursue a PhD. This is a masters degree, not a doctorate.

I know how two kids will affect projects but you might find some time for your old flame sitting in the garage sad smiley Let us know when you graduate, we'll all have a toast, internet style...

Rick

Will do. It will be about 6 weeks from now (I can't wait...). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
March 25, 2010 02:01PM
Well congrats for even trying!

The electronics class I took while studying Computer Science was one of the few that left me gasping for air and sanity. Circuits were cool up until the point where they introduced imaginary numbers as a way to solve them. From then on in my brain checked out smiling smiley

Hopefully you can use it in your career. However, continuing to learn complicated concepts is never a bad idea for the health of your brain!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
March 26, 2010 04:10AM
Earendil
Well congrats for even trying!

The electronics class I took while studying Computer Science was one of the few that left me gasping for air and sanity. Circuits were cool up until the point where they introduced imaginary numbers as a way to solve them. From then on in my brain checked out smiling smiley

Hopefully you can use it in your career. However, continuing to learn complicated concepts is never a bad idea for the health of your brain!

Yes, I've often found it humorous that just about the entire industry in which I work is based on "imaginary" numbers. They're not so bad, anyway.

It is definitely a worthy thing for me to do. What I've learned in my various classes is interesting and beneficial to my gray matter, and having MSEE on my resume is a good thing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
March 28, 2010 12:26PM
Cab Treadway
rkj

No, not a doctor. I have no desire to pursue a PhD. This is a masters degree, not a doctorate.

Rick

Will do. It will be about 6 weeks from now (I can't wait...). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

A master of electrical engineering (I actually knew that grinning smiley ), well fine then. Let's get busy on the electric car designs thumbs up

Good Luck Cab smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login