Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh Canada ‹(•¿•)›

Posted by rkj 
rkj
February 12, 2010 06:33PM
I used to like Canada, now I love it.

The Olympics is what's right with this country, a rocky start but should be a good show smileys with beer
February 14, 2010 12:08PM
Did you see all of the opening ceremonies?

I think the fellow who recited his poem really did a great job of describing the Canadian Olympic spirit.

There were a couple of glitches in the program but overall, I think it was very well done B)
rkj
February 14, 2010 06:36PM
Archeo-peteriX
Did you see all of the opening ceremonies?

I think the fellow who recited his poem really did a great job of describing the Canadian Olympic spirit.

There were a couple of glitches in the program but overall, I think it was very well done B)

That poet guy was terrific, a nice blend of street cred and soul. The opening ceremonies had a certain something I loved. All those native Canadians.

Watching the very start of the show when they covered Canada itself.... jeez, what a beautiful place. You really get the feeling that the people have wonderful heart too.

Made me think about what cold is winking smiley

Rick
February 14, 2010 06:56PM
When I think of cold and snow, I think of NYC and DC winking smiley

Canada finally got it's first Gold medal on home soil tonight! There is definitely an electricity in the air around here now smiling smiley
rkj
February 14, 2010 08:42PM
Archeo-peteriX
When I think of cold and snow, I think of NYC and DC winking smiley

Canada finally got it's first Gold medal on home soil tonight! There is definitely an electricity in the air around here now smiling smiley

Its a damp cold here on the east coast for sure, but up north in Canada it can get 50+ below! smiling bouncing smiley That's cold uncle Pete. That Canadian mogul skier (Alec .....)was really fun to watch. Hell, they're all fun.

When I think of all those years practicing and the few years racing, sometimes even winning. All those years trying to get good at something, that single mindedness.... that's what makes these games so much fun for me and my brother.... we're like two old ladies emailing back and forth B)
February 15, 2010 04:16AM
Watching those moguls makes my knees hurt. I can't believe the American woman who is 35 and has had 3 surgeries on EACH of her knees, and yet is still competing. Wow.

We caught some of the opening ceremonies. Mrs. Cab got a kick out of all the in-place dancing while the athletes were entering.

I've always had a thing for Canada. Someday I'd like to move to Nunavut. hot smiley Failing that, I'd at least love to do some extensive touring in the maritimes and the Canadian Rockies.

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
February 22, 2010 02:23PM
Cab Treadway
Watching those moguls makes my knees hurt. I can't believe the American woman who is 35 and has had 3 surgeries on EACH of her knees, and yet is still competing. Wow.

We caught some of the opening ceremonies. Mrs. Cab got a kick out of all the in-place dancing while the athletes were entering.

I've always had a thing for Canada. Someday I'd like to move to Nunavut. hot smiley Failing that, I'd at least love to do some extensive touring in the maritimes and the Canadian Rockies.

I know, it makes me cringe too; I've got a few race wounds and I live with them everyday.... These people have some much heart, that's what makes it fun for me, and howbout that Bode Miller! and so many others thumbs up

The opening ceremonies were a nice blend of soul and techy stuff, and yes, all that dancing, what a pisser (talk about heart).

I've been close (on the east coast) to Canada, my friend has an old place half an hour from the border in Maine, even at Johns house things start to get really beautiful and natural. If I only had some money!

One year, I will get up to see Ferdinand and stop by and have a coffee with you guys, that's cool, yes?

Rick
February 22, 2010 06:44PM
rkj
Cab Treadway
I know, it makes me cringe too; I've got a few race wounds and I live with them everyday.... These people have some much heart, that's what makes it fun for me, and howbout that Bode Miller! and so many others thumbs up

Rick

Thanks for not 'rubbing in' the fact that you beat us at our game on Sunday.:crying:

Bob P.
February 22, 2010 07:06PM
Bob P 325is 88
Thanks for not 'rubbing in' the fact that you beat us at our game on Sunday.:crying:
We're nothing if not gracious in victory. Either that, or we know we'll probably meet up again the tournament. smiling smiley

I'm a hockey fan go to college games regularly. At the start of every game they play both national anthems. I'm probably one of the few Americans who knows all the words to "Oh, Canada" by heart (at least in English -- we never get to hear the French version).

February 22, 2010 09:18PM
Bob P 325is 88
rkj
Cab Treadway

Rick

Bob P.

Nice show at the ice dancing tonight. It seems good sportsmanship is prevalent this year smileys with beer

Rick
February 22, 2010 09:53PM
rkj
Bob P 325is 88
rkj
Cab Treadway

Rick

Bob P.

Nice show at the ice dancing tonight. It seems good sportsmanship is prevalent this year smileys with beer

Rick

Yes, quite pleasant for a change.
It would appear that the perennial Russian 'fix' is no more and the competition is once again open to all comers smiling smiley

Og Adanac Og!
February 23, 2010 04:10AM
rkj
One year, I will get up to see Ferdinand and stop by and have a coffee with you guys, that's cool, yes?

Rick

Anytime, buddy! Just give us a bit of a heads-up on your way, I'll have a pot brewing. And if you need to grab some shut-eye, the back seat of the E30 out in the garage is hardly ever occupied. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
rkj
February 24, 2010 02:26PM
Cab Treadway
rkj

Rick

Anytime, buddy! Just give us a bit of a heads-up on your way, I'll have a pot brewing. And if you need to grab some shut-eye, the back seat of the E30 out in the garage is hardly ever occupied. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks Cab, I think the front seats are better for sleeping though, I'll bring my pillow smiling smiley

Cheers and Love, Rick
rkj
February 27, 2010 05:35PM
So I'm taking a break today from my kitchen make over and turned on the tube to see what was shaking at the Olympics. They had a piece on Gander, Newfoundland. On that tuesday morning in 2001 when we, here in New York (and the rest of the free world), got the crap bombed out of us. The piece was about when they ordered all commercial aircraft out of the sky; the guys at Gander were the pivot point for all the airports in Newfoundland and they, themselves took a huge amount of planes, and the piece was all about what happened from there. It was a truly wonderful piece of film, if anybody saw it, let me know what you thought.

I know that these people rose to the challenge in a natural way, no big deal. It moved me like nothing has in quite some time; what beautiful people, geezee. Enough to give you faith thumbs up

Peace, Rick
February 27, 2010 06:41PM
rkj
It moved me like nothing has in quite some time; what beautiful people, geezee.
Newfoundlanders are special people. No doubt about it.
February 27, 2010 07:05PM
Ferdinand
rkj

Not as well documented or advertised but Vancouver also did a stupendous job of accommodating hundreds of US bound planes and thousands of stranded Americans. Vancouverites did as the Newfoundlanders did; they opened their homes and hearts to our southern neighbours and all who found themselves stranded in a foreign land.

I know in my heart that my US neighbours would be just as accommodating if the tables were reversed smileys with beer
rkj
February 27, 2010 07:19PM
Archeo-peteriX
Ferdinand
rkj

Not as well documented or advertised but Vancouver also did a stupendous job of accommodating hundreds of US bound planes and thousands of stranded Americans. Vancouverites did as the Newfoundlanders did; they opened their homes and hearts to our southern neighbours and all who found themselves stranded in a foreign land.

I know in my heart that my US neighbours would be just as accommodating if the tables were reversed smileys with beer

Yeah, it's amazing what people do in emergency's, when I was going up we lived on a part of the Grace estate and one side of our property was close to a parkway, on snowy days sometimes we would have a houseful from people stranded and walking for some help. I can still remember a few times that was extraordinary; a lot of the people had food, what a feast smileys with beer

Rick
February 28, 2010 10:37AM
Dave_G
Bob P 325is 88
We're nothing if not gracious in victory. Either that, or we know we'll probably meet up again later in the tournament. smiling smiley
So, that was not such a difficult prediction. smiling smiley Here we go again.

My Canadian friends are jumping up and down with anticipation. For that matter, most of my American friends are too. smiling smiley In about an hour and a half, the entire nation of Canada will grind to a halt for a couple hours. If 10 million Canadians (about one in every three people) watched the last game, I can only imagine how many will watch this one. This is going to be fun. smiling bouncing smiley The funny thing is that I'll be happy no matter which team wins. But good luck to any team trying to get a puck past Ryan Miller. grinning smiley

February 28, 2010 08:58PM
Thanks Canada. It was a very neighborly treatment of all the surprise visitors.

Bob in Everett
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login