Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got a few hours?

Posted by Michiel 318iS 
January 26, 2010 02:22PM
Spent most of my evening reading this thread on r3vlimited, worth having a look. It's about an M3 being stripped and rebuilt. Nice write-up.

And I got to it looking at an m20 oil sump to see if that guard has accomodation for quick oil changes (see other thread).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 02:24PM by Michiel 318iS.
January 27, 2010 05:43AM
that's gotta be one of the most amazing things smiling smiley
however, i never agree with people that cut off their roof and weld back another one. that will never again be a CAR.

--
A physics truck just turned over outside. There's physics everywhere!
January 27, 2010 07:28AM
Awesome! That was a very informative and entertaining read.

I wish I knew how, or had the guts to try, to do body work like that.

I found the transmission rebuild very interesting. He has great photos and clear instructions.

I once wrote an article explaining how the internals of a transmission work, and why double-clutching on downshifts is so important to the longevity of synchromesh cups. But the photos and text in this M3 rebuild project do a much better job of showing and explaining all that.

That r3vlimited forum is mostly populated by morons and idiots, but the technical sections do contain quite a few gems of really useful stuff like this.
January 27, 2010 02:08PM
Wow, this dude likes to form and weld metal. And it looks like he is good at it, too.

Andy
1987 325ic
January 27, 2010 11:50PM
Ferdinand
Awesome! That was a very informative and entertaining read.

I wish I knew how, or had the guts to try, to do body work like that.

I found the transmission rebuild very interesting. He has great photos and clear instructions.

I once wrote an article explaining how the internals of a transmission work, and why double-clutching on downshifts is so important to the longevity of synchromesh cups. But the photos and text in this M3 rebuild project do a much better job of showing and explaining all that.

That r3vlimited forum is mostly populated by morons and idiots, but the technical sections do contain quite a few gems of really useful stuff like this.

Thanks for reposting Ferd. The double clutching is super handy when downshifting on uphill climbs - conserving the uphill momentum as much as possible. Of course, I'm an urban driver; speed is not the primary concern. I'm avoiding a stalled engine. Still, I warn passengers in advance, "The Beemie may need to express itself as we drive uphill." The engine rev in prep from second to first rumbles through the cloth soft top. Then we merrily proceed uphill.

Cheers, Kelly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login