Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer help/suggestions please

Posted by rkj 
rkj
January 17, 2010 09:53AM
So, on my favorite laptop I've been getting wired happenings for a while now, a year maybe. Its an older T41p IBM and has been with me a long time.

It has given me the blue screen of death several times but has always healed itself but lately it starts up and runs fine then goes black after a half an hour or so. I disconnect the power cord and pull the battery and she usually runs fine for many hours. It can also be a real stinker (the last few weeks) and carry on like this for 3 or 4 go rounds till it settles down and runs fine.

My thoughts are that this could be a hardware issue, I've cleaned the thing out (transferred all my stuff off the hard drives) of everything I need and now I thought I would try reloading XP and see what that does.

Any thoughts on what could be at issue here; software, hardware. If it is hardware what would that be....???

I've got a P111 Ibm laptop from the 90's and that baby keeps on ticking like a timex. I was thinking these older Ibm's were bullet proof.

One thing that always happens is; when I take the battery out the fan stops running, it is not hot at all, in fact the fan hardy ever comes on in normal use.

Thanks for any input, Rick
January 17, 2010 12:55PM
Careful with the fan, you can destroy a CPU within seconds if you don't have the fan running.

Could be your motherbord giving up, had it with RAM memory as well. If you feel confident, you can try to open the case and get dust it out. Can make a hell of a difference.

Success!
January 17, 2010 02:09PM
Hmmm, if you can, I would take the thing apart and make sure the heat sink and such are free of gunk. Overheating can cause all kinds of mayhem. Short of that, you could try reloading the hard drive. Some files might have gotten corrupted.

alan
rkj
January 17, 2010 02:53PM
alanrw
Hmmm, if you can, I would take the thing apart and make sure the heat sink and such are free of gunk. Overheating can cause all kinds of mayhem. Short of that, you could try reloading the hard drive. Some files might have gotten corrupted.

alan

I don't think this machine is running hot at all, when I'm watching a movie or running it hard the fan comes on, and if I turn it over all's cool. My acer on the other hand always runs warm and then when you stress it, it will feel very hot underneath, even with the fan running.

Can a software issue kill the screen and make it go dark so you have to start over?

I scratched part of my product key, the middle two numbers on the last grouping so I have to load a fresh copy sad smiley this IBM came with 4 cds with all kinds of software, seems a pity I can't use them now sad smiley
January 17, 2010 04:37PM
Check the cover page of Device Manager, many times the key is there.

If not, try this:

[www.webtechgeek.com]

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 04:41PM by alanrw.
January 17, 2010 06:01PM
rkj
alanrw

alan

I don't think this machine is running hot at all, when I'm watching a movie or running it hard the fan comes on, and if I turn it over all's cool. My acer on the other hand always runs warm and then when you stress it, it will feel very hot underneath, even with the fan running.

Can a software issue kill the screen and make it go dark so you have to start over?

I scratched part of my product key, the middle two numbers on the last grouping so I have to load a fresh copy sad smiley this IBM came with 4 cds with all kinds of software, seems a pity I can't use them now sad smiley

Rick,
Follow Alan's suggestion or search for key finder software. There are dozens of free programs out there that will retrieve your key codes. Most run under windows but some run under DOS: if you can't boot Windows. Any of these will pull the existing key codes so you don't have to buy a new distro.
rkj
January 17, 2010 09:05PM
alanrw

If not, try this:

[www.webtechgeek.com]

alan

Thanks Alan, Device manger gave me the product ID number (but no product key, and I looked everywhere for hours) and then jelly bean service gave me the product key that matched my product key, it returned two possibility's. Now, the new product key number (jelly beans) does not match the one I have on the bottom of the computer(which has two letters/numbers missing), does that mean anything? Please,

Thank you, Rick
rkj
January 17, 2010 09:09PM
rkj
alanrw

If not, try this:

[www.webtechgeek.com]

alan

Thanks Alan, Device manger gave me the product ID number (but no product key, and I looked everywhere for hours) and then jelly bean service gave me the product key that matched my product key, it returned two possibility's. Now, the new product key number (jelly beans) does not match the one I have on the bottom of the computer(which has two letters/numbers missing), does that mean anything? Please,

Thank you, Rick

I meant the product key that matched my product ID number(I got my product key ID from device manager)..... That's what I meant to say smiling smiley
January 18, 2010 07:57AM
Rick, if I understand you correctly, you still don't have the install key, the series of numbers and letters you type in during the install of Windows?

Keyfinder by Jelly Bean worked for me.

alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 08:00AM by alanrw.
rkj
January 18, 2010 10:04AM
alanrw
Rick, if I understand you correctly, you still don't have the install key, the series of numbers and letters you type in during the install of Windows?

Keyfinder by Jelly Bean worked for me.

alan

I used the same thing, keyfinder by jelly bean. It gave me a product key (the number you key in at install) from a few product ID numbers that came in from the search, of which one was the same as mine (I found the product ID number through device manager on my computer). The only thing was/is, my product key number they said was mine does not match the one one my computer's bottom (the one with two letters/numbers damaged). So I'm wondering if that makes a difference...

I did find, in my travels that my up-dates were shut off, so I turned those on and have been loading up-dates ever since, this morning I loaded service pack 3 which was a big deal, took a while and then had to restart.

Since I started using the up-dates I have not had any trouble but time will tell on that one.

Is it possible to email or call Microsoft and ask them for my product key?

Thanks Alan, Rick
January 18, 2010 12:01PM
Well, if you were able to downloand updates, then your copy of Windows is valid as far as Microsoft is concerned. So I would reload using the product key Jelly bean gave you. Even better, if you have a spare machine, try loading your copy of windows onto it, if it takes the install key, all is good. But since you installed service pack 3, might as well see how your computer performs, maybe re-installation won't be necessary.

alan
rkj
January 19, 2010 11:41AM
alanrw
Well, if you were able to downloand updates, then your copy of Windows is valid as far as Microsoft is concerned. So I would reload using the product key Jelly bean gave you. Even better, if you have a spare machine, try loading your copy of windows onto it, if it takes the install key, all is good. But since you installed service pack 3, might as well see how your computer performs, maybe re-installation won't be necessary.

alan

Yes, I have a spare computer I'm setting up (its an older desktop) for dvd burning, I bought all the stuff so I might as well use it and it will give me an extra unit to have but if I load my CD's for my IBM laptop won't that mean I couldn't use them for that (the ibm). Or could I just try it and not register it for a few days or did you mean load my cd on an working computer so there would be two XP programs on one computer??

I am playing it by ear for now, she's running well but we'll see what happens in the days/weeks to come. The updates took well, so I think you're right about my copy of XP being a good/legal one.

Alan, thank you for all your help, I'm pretty much a rookie at this kind of stuff

Regards, Rick
January 19, 2010 05:17PM
Well, I merely meant use the desktop as a test bed to see if you could get XP to install with the install key(s) you have. If you get to the point where you type in the key and it takes it, you know you have the right key. Now abort the install, reformat the desktop and install the OS you were going to install.

The thing about "install disks" that come with the computer from Dell, HP etc.,, be it laptop or desktop, they usually install device drivers and software specific for that machine, they are not a "clean windows install" type disc. That would be a Microsoft OEM type of disc. You load that disk then load the drivers for the motherboard and various devices based on the install cd's you have for the various devices.

alan
rkj
January 19, 2010 09:46PM
alanrw
Well, I merely meant use the desktop as a test bed to see if you could get XP to install with the install key(s) you have. If you get to the point where you type in the key and it takes it, you know you have the right key. Now abort the install, reformat the desktop and install the OS you were going to install.

The thing about "install disks" that come with the computer from Dell, HP etc.,, be it laptop or desktop, they usually install device drivers and software specific for that machine, they are not a "clean windows install" type disc. That would be a Microsoft OEM type of disc. You load that disk then load the drivers for the motherboard and various devices based on the install cd's you have for the various devices.

alan

Ah ha, very interesting...

another question Alan please. The Ibm came with four cds, there are many cool programs that came loaded on the computer. One of the cds is the XP and the others are all those great other programs; 1st- could I install them in another computer and 2- is it possible to throw them in a computer to see what they are?

Rick
January 20, 2010 12:43PM
Well, as long as you are sure the programs start on disk 2. I would think they did. Nothing to loose by trying.
alan
rkj
January 21, 2010 02:36PM
alanrw
Well, as long as you are sure the programs start on disk 2. I would think they did. Nothing to loose by trying.
alan

I'm thinking I can just load one up (insert one of the cd's in the drawer of my Acer) and it should tell me what is on the cd, yes?

Will I hurt anything?
January 21, 2010 09:03PM
Yep, just put the cd in the drive, go to my computer and right click on the cd drive and hit "explore". If the drive starts loading a program when you insert the disc, just cancel out of the install and explore the disc to see what apps are on it.

alan
rkj
January 21, 2010 09:46PM
alanrw
Yep, just put the cd in the drive, go to my computer and right click on the cd drive and hit "explore". If the drive starts loading a program when you insert the disc, just cancel out of the install and explore the disc to see what apps are on it.

alan

Its so easy when you know what the heck you're doing, thanks Alan.

I have a little thing that has cropped up; I use sd cards in my cameras and when I try to move pictures around it says they are write protected, is that a setting in the camera and how do I unprotect the pictures I've already taken???

Rick
January 22, 2010 07:33AM
Yeah, most likely a camera setting. You will have to sleuth around in the menus on the camera.

alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login