Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Good car!"

Posted by Dave_G 
January 15, 2010 11:22AM
...Thus exclaimed an astute observer of automotive excellence as he walked by my E30 in the parking lot of the grocery store today.

Of course, he was a 4-year-old preschooler holding the hand of his mom, but his keen observation is no less accurate because of that. smiling smiley

January 15, 2010 01:58PM
Dave_G
...Thus exclaimed an astute observer of automotive excellence as he walked by my E30 in the parking lot of the grocery store today.

Of course, he was a 4-year-old preschooler holding the hand of his mom, but his keen observation is no less accurate because of that. smiling smiley

So true, so true. I find the youngsters have a very keen sense if left you leave their minds unmolested-
January 16, 2010 07:49AM
I would put a lot of weight on that opinion. His mind is still pure and has yet to be polluted with meaningless opinions!!!

alan
January 18, 2010 04:55AM
"From the mouths of babes..."

My almost 3 y/o daughter loves to play in "Daddy's black car" in the garage. Maybe someday, hopefully before she graduates from college, she'll actually get to ride in it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cab
1990 325i(s)
2004 325XiT
January 19, 2010 12:00AM
rkj
Dave_G

So true, so true. I find the youngsters have a very keen sense if left you leave their minds unmolested-

Funny! Before the Beemie, I drove an old red 1988 SAAB which had either a classic or odd appearance depending on your perception. Once a 4-year old boy and his mom passed The Saab-a-rino and I in the parking lot. The tot said honestly, inquisitively to mom "That is a FUNNY car &#8253" She replied as the hyper-PC yet nice mom, "Yes honey. It is a Saab. Just like your dad's, but older." I just smiled and waved thereby sparing the rushed mom and unrushed child a full tour of the Saab's fine interior. The dash board was my favorite part - black with silver outlines, remenicent of camera equipment from the 1960's, only slightly smaller than a Cadilliac's dash with greater penache. It had the fine handling of a Sherman tank with the power of a VW bug. I miss it fondly.

Cheers, Kelly

I would insert a shebang
April 06, 2011 09:46AM
It just happened again -- this time it was a college student. As I was getting out of my car after parking it, he called across the street to me: "Great car!" He was even looking at the dented side, too. This kind of thing seems to happen a lot with this car. Funny, it's never happened with any other car I've owned. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 09:47AM by Dave_G.
rkj
April 06, 2011 12:15PM
Dave_G
It just happened again -- this time it was a college student. As I was getting out of my car after parking it, he called across the street to me: "Great car!" He was even looking at the dented side, too. This kind of thing seems to happen a lot with this car. Funny, it's never happened with any other car I've owned. smiling smiley

I got a nice look from a lady today and she was driving a later 325 cabrio (1998?). I love the shape of those too.
Just found this from 1983, speaking of shapes;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 12:16PM by rkj.
April 06, 2011 12:51PM
rkj
Another cool car. And you survived driving it! :razz:

Regular 911s scare me. Turbo 930s terrify me. :burnout:

April 06, 2011 05:08PM
rkj

Is that you in the picture, Rick?

Scary... that was a year before I was born :eek:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
April 06, 2011 05:45PM
I gotta tell ya Rick; you haven't aged well winking smiley

Actually you have and I'm pretty sure I would recognize you if we should ever cross paths unbeknownst to each other. This picture does; however; tell me that you are a little taller than I had envisioned you as being :eek:
I'm guessing 6'1"...
rkj
April 06, 2011 07:15PM
Dave_G
rkj
Another cool car. And you survived driving it! :razz:

Regular 911s scare me. Turbo 930s terrify me. :burnout:

They are a handful Dave, especially on a damp night! but once you get in the habit of steering with your right foot, making the thing turn is much easier... This was a euro spec car that we federalized some how under the radar... scary fast though thumbs up lots of fun
rkj
April 06, 2011 07:25PM
Archeo-peteriX
I gotta tell ya Rick; you haven't aged well winking smiley

Actually you have and I'm pretty sure I would recognize you if we should ever cross paths unbeknownst to each other. This picture does; however; tell me that you are a little taller than I had envisioned you as being :eek:
I'm guessing 6'1"...

I've aged okay; Janet still likes me!

No Peter, it just looks like I'm tall next to that lowered 930. That car was a hot rod right off the autobahn. It had big block horse power just like my Daytona block Ford. Big grin stuff! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 07:28PM by rkj.
April 06, 2011 07:26PM
I guess the VW Beetle inherited a bit of that steering issue. I had a 1963 bug that started out as the stock 35hp 1198cc slug and ended up as a much larger hp 2 litre handful.

Never really learned to drive it ti it's full potential but it was impressive as it easily lit the tires in all 4 gears.
Unfortunately, a 12 year old kid stole it from our underground parking and trashed it in a gravel pit :censored:
rkj
April 06, 2011 07:36PM
Archeo-peteriX
I guess the VW Beetle inherited a bit of that steering issue. I had a 1963 bug that started out as the stock 35hp 1198cc slug and ended up as a much larger hp 2 litre handful.

Never really learned to drive it ti it's full potential but it was impressive as it easily lit the tires in all 4 gears.
Unfortunately, a 12 year old kid stole it from our underground parking and trashed it in a gravel pit :censored:

Too bad, that car must have been a pisser, my friend had one with a hot rod VWbus motor. That car was fun, just kept on pulling.

My Dad and I went to a VW dealership and he bought a new 1957 bug (with a gas gauge, which was an option). We all loved that car. I remember greasing it and changing the oil with him. I think I pulled a picture of that one today also, I'll post it tomorrow.
April 07, 2011 12:27PM
Yeah, you were in good shape!
April 08, 2011 04:52AM
Earendil
rkj

I was about 10 when the picture was taken, and would have said "Good car!" if i had seen it then, just like I would now.
:cool:
rkj
April 09, 2011 03:36PM
Jose Pinto
Earendil
rkj

I was about 10 when the picture was taken, and would have said "Good car!" if i had seen it then, just like I would now.
:cool:

Thanks Jose, it was fun while it lasted smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login