Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just a sailboat but.....

Posted by rkj 
rkj
January 15, 2010 10:29AM
On the other fork, the North Fork, a lot of wooden boat stuff is going on. This was one of my favorites

[www.bridghunt.com]

These are my people
January 15, 2010 08:08PM
rkj
On the other fork, the North Fork, a lot of wooden boat stuff is going on. This was one of my favorites

[www.bridghunt.com]

These are my people

A beautiful boat thumbs up

I couldn't help noticing that sweet Peapod sitting next to it in one of the shots B)
January 19, 2010 12:40AM
rkj

[www.bridghunt.com]

These are my people

Nice!! Is the birdseye maple a centerboard? Dumb question perhaps. I've only seen metal centerboards before.

Cheers, K
rkj
January 19, 2010 11:08AM
Kelly
rkj

[www.bridghunt.com]

These are my people

Nice!! Is the birdseye maple a centerboard? Dumb question perhaps. I've only seen metal centerboards before.

Cheers, K

I think so Kelly, I don't remember if the centerboard trunk (housing) or the swing keel is maple but the keel I believe is wood because its not used as ballast just help in going up wind and staying on course, it prevents sideways drift. Gil Smiths boats are wide flat hulls better sailed on their bottoms, not healed over too much, he originally made this boats for working fishermen and then got into racing but basically the same shapes for both smiling smiley they're slippery devils.

Rick
rkj
January 19, 2010 11:21AM
Archeo-peteriX
rkj

[www.bridghunt.com]

These are my people

A beautiful boat thumbs up

I couldn't help noticing that sweet Peapod sitting next to it in one of the shots B)

Hey Peter, I knew you'd get a kick out of that, there's a lot of wooden boat action in Greenport and at that boatyard it's so cool. There might be some really nice boats there anytime and some being built and repaired too. I'll take some pictures this summer, two good friends of ours just bought and restored a house a few yards down the way. Surprise (Pat and Earls boat) is in the water right next to the boat yards dock tied up at their dock. We plan to do a lot of sailing with them now that they are just a ferry ride away... The north fork is neat too because there are all kinds of interbays and great places to sail and drop the hook. I miss those days with Athena, my boat. The girls and I had some great times on the water. Patty and Earl are great to be around so it should be fun thumbs up Whatever happened to melonseed, that one you built, that boat was gorgeous!

Rick
January 19, 2010 06:50PM
Melonseed wasn't quite finished and I ran out of shop :crying:

The hull went to some enterprising young fellows who wanted to finish it up and try it out against some of the local racers. I doubt it will beat any of the 'laser's and other such boats but it will be able to sail circles around them in 6 to 8 inches of water :wink:

I was sad to see it go but just couldn't bring myself to hoof it all the way over to my sister's place and work in a big drafty and poorly lit 'garage'. I say garage because that's where the lawn mower, the boat, the camper and the utility trailer spent their time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 06:50PM by Archeo-peteriX.
rkj
January 21, 2010 02:46PM
Archeo-peteriX
Melonseed wasn't quite finished and I ran out of shop :crying:

The hull went to some enterprising young fellows who wanted to finish it up and try it out against some of the local racers. I doubt it will beat any of the 'laser's and other such boats but it will be able to sail circles around them in 6 to 8 inches of water :wink:

I was sad to see it go but just couldn't bring myself to hoof it all the way over to my sister's place and work in a big drafty and poorly lit 'garage'. I say garage because that's where the lawn mower, the boat, the camper and the utility trailer spent their time.

Sounds like a crowded garage, not much room for working; those darn boats take space to build. Space inside, wow, I could use a few more feet, my 20x20 foot shed gets a little tight eye rolling smiley

Sorry you had to give up melonseed Peter, that must have been a heart breaker. One of the things I will do before I croak is build a small boat, even if it's a Garvy!

Your strung out sailor (in the middle of winter), Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login