Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picking up a 1975 2002 on Monday

Posted by JUMPNYC 
February 19, 2010 07:41PM
With all due respect, but that is what a PARTS CAR is for. Calling me a moron for having some fun with it before its demise is just ignorance.

Its guts will live on in my 2002. MY 2002 IS LIKE ROBOCOP MOTHERFUCKER!

BTW it went on a trailer and got me 200 bucks for scrap, and I probably have $1000 in parts not including a running engine and transmission.

NOT BAD FOR A $300 PARTS CAR!!! This moron will laugh all the way to the bank.

Meanwhile my 2002 will be running longer than your car probably will be around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 07:43PM by JUMPNYC.
February 19, 2010 07:52PM
Also the car was stuck in the snow and we had to move it up the road to the shop, how would you have done it?

IM RECYCLING! CIRCLE OF LIFE BABY!
February 19, 2010 08:49PM
JUMPNYC
Also the car was stuck in the snow and we had to move it up the road to the shop, how would you have done it?

IM RECYCLING! CIRCLE OF LIFE BABY!

Well, your video clearly shows the left rear wheel was not operating properly. Either the brake was stuck or the wheel bearing was seized.
Had you actually taken the time to analyse that, you could have figured out what to do without the lunacy.

Recycling is one thing but what you call fun is tantamount to tipping headstones in the cemetery...I pity the car that's getting the donor parts as I'm sure it will be abused too sad smiley
February 19, 2010 09:28PM
Dude,

It was a 1972 car, it did not have limited slip differential. Left wheel was operating properly, it was on ICE. WE HAD TO MOVE IT!

BOTH FRONT WHEELS WERE FLAT. We drove it 3 blocks to my friend shop and stripped a cancerous body with a good heart.

That heart will be transplanted into another donor and it will run and live to drive another day. It will reach out and keep other cars running or looking

cosmetically better with its parts. One sacrifice to save many others to come. Every salvageable piece was saved to live to serve another day.

The video was only meant to entertain, I am sorry it got you feeling depressed. Sorry about the snuff film. Stay positive!
February 19, 2010 11:52PM
Archeo-peteriX
Well, your video clearly shows the left rear wheel was not operating properly. Either the brake was stuck or the wheel bearing was seized.
Had you actually taken the time to analyse that, you could have figured out what to do without the lunacy.

Recycling is one thing but what you call fun is tantamount to tipping headstones in the cemetery...I pity the car that's getting the donor parts as I'm sure it will be abused too sad smiley

A) How do you know it isn't working properly from that video?
B) What does it matter if it is functioning or not?

Peter, you have just insulted another human being on multiple occasions because you think he is disrespecting the soul of a car. I *might* understand if the car belonged to you, or you had some other connection to it than having only seen a video of it online. As much as we love these things, they are still hunks of metal, with more less ethical value than another human.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
rkj
February 20, 2010 05:18PM
Hmmm, I don't agree, jumpin John is a douche.

Peter, steer clear here, you're dealing with idots with no respect!

Rick
February 20, 2010 06:11PM
rkj

Ummm... did I miss something? confused smiley

This thread was going lovely until he posted a video, and Peter trashed him for it. After that it just turned into a pissing contest for which neither side had any chance of "winning". Demeaning a person is neither educational, nor helpful to ones own argument. Maybe something happened offline, or in a different thread that I missed, and this ended up being the straw that broke the camels back. But to me it just looks like a straw, and whether I like it or not doesn't lead me to directly insult anyone. I guess that's just me...

Rick

I hope you aren't talking about me sad smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rkj
February 20, 2010 07:34PM
Earendil
rkj

Ummm... did I miss something? confused smiley

This thread was going lovely until he posted a video, and Peter trashed him for it. After that it just turned into a pissing contest for which neither side had any chance of "winning". Demeaning a person is neither educational, nor helpful to ones own argument. Maybe something happened offline, or in a different thread that I missed, and this ended up being the straw that broke the camels back. But to me it just looks like a straw, and whether I like it or not doesn't lead me to directly insult anyone. I guess that's just me...

Rick

I hope you aren't talking about me sad smiley

I use names, if I'm talking to you you'll know it.
February 20, 2010 07:44PM
Just to squash this right now.....PMs from this morning....Thanks Rick! I guess you are having a bad day...

Archeo-peteriX
Hi Guy,

Sorry I rained on your parade
It's just something I'm a little sensitive about.

I should eally have been upset at the previous owners for having let that car fall into such a bad state.
You are doing a good thing by saving as much of it as you can and part of it's 'soul' will live on thanks to your efforts.

I really do wish you luck on the restoration project...it should be a sweet ride once it's done

Again, sorry for my rant on the forum,

Peter

Dont sweat it! I was 5 jack and cokes in when I retorted. Yes I was mad at the cars previous owner for that state of car as well.
That is why I had to take action to recover what I could from it, when I found it in that state.
I know we love our cars, that is why we are on this forum because we are passionate about our BMWs!
My friends that helped me out are also BMW 2002 HEADS. This sacrifice will keep their cars on the road longer as well.
If it was worth saving, believe me we probably would have tried to save her, like I am doing with the current project 2002.
It can be difficult to locate parts for these 70's cars, and a good thing to have as I have learned is cheap spare parts.

Best of luck and happy motoring!
Johnny
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Johnny,

I may have had a beer at that time too

Several of us have been watching your progress with interest. I know that Rick(rkj) is/was an avid 2002 nut and he wants to see this happen too.

No matter how boring you think any pics would be, just post them...it all adds to the spirit of the project

Peter
February 20, 2010 07:49PM
I'm glad things cooled off, and everyone had the guts to admit when they were being hot headed. I apologize as well if I had anything to do with spurring either side.
Cheers!

February 20, 2010 07:55PM
Hey I am not looking to fight with people. I am trying to just show other enthusiasts what i am up to,

and share my project and maybe some blooper type stuff. Trying to keep active in this forum.

Apologies for any offense taken. I am not here to hate, just educate (and have some fun).
February 20, 2010 07:59PM
JUMPNYC
Hey I am not looking to fight with people. I am trying to just show other enthusiasts what i am up to,

and share my project and maybe some blooper type stuff. Trying to keep active in this forum.

Apologies for any offense taken. I am not here to hate, just educate (and have some fun).

All is cool...just keep those project pics coming thumbs up
February 20, 2010 08:06PM
Yes I will. I rescued my e30 from near death and I LOVE THAT CAR! Hopefully I will bond with this project 2002 as well.
August 25, 2010 02:53PM
So here is where my project 2002 is now

its come along way since I started in January and still need to work on a interior and sound system

going to refurb these wheels to put on it in the meantime I have BBS from my e30

in the meantime I have BBS from my e30

here is what it looked like when i got it, i saw the old pic links were broken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 02:55PM by JUMPNYC.
August 25, 2010 05:35PM
Good work!

Those cars deserve, and will return the care with fun behind the wheel!
smileys with beer
August 25, 2010 06:32PM
Thank you very much for saving yet another beautiful old BMW from an ignoble death in the wrecker grave yard.
When you get to the gates and St Peter askes what you ever did to serve humanity; you can proudly claim that you saved a worthy soul from oblivion and probably the hell of being recycled as a Kia winking smiley
August 25, 2010 09:11PM
Thanks for the kind words. The 2002 is a culmination of work that comes with trying to get a vision to reality. There is still a long way to go.

Also, thanks for the input. I still need to fab brackets to put on the smaller euro bumpers.
Right now I am in the process of dynamatting the interior to make it quiet and cool (no A/C is why I chose a white roof, also I think the two tone makes it pop!).

I picked up the skirts and rear valance for dirt cheap off Craigslist (I think I got lucky!). I figured it would make it look different from every other 2002 that I see. The side and rear skirts were blended in with the rear body panels but left off the front fenders, in case they ever need to get swapped. I also shaved the reflectors on the front fenders, removed the belt line trim and filled the clip holes, deleted the sunroof.

I am still trying to locate parts like the door weather stripping and a light grey carpet set.

The next step I need to get to the carpeting, headliner and getting my spare E30 sport seats recovered I hear they are bolt in. Eventually figure out a sound system to install and Im sure lots of other stuff. Will continue to keep you in the loop.

As for the parts cars I have good news, a couple of my buddies are now on the search to save the 2002s! We are going up to Maine tomorrow to pick up the next project already!
August 27, 2010 12:21PM
Wow, a lot of work done already. Looking good! Keep us posted!
August 31, 2010 08:28PM
New Project Arrives!

picked this up for my boy Mitchell

Trip to Maine and back for a 1976! Not much work to do to her, just a rocker panel. Already had the floors done, and suspension work!

mine on the lift

since painting my 2002 alot of my friends are hunting for these cars for us to restore now. I guess we started a new club!

Now I need to get some time to do the bodywork on the E30 now the summer is soon going to end.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 08:33PM by JUMPNYC.
October 08, 2010 03:56PM
Update? grinning smiley

January 25, 2011 09:03PM
Hey Guys!

Hope everyone is having a happy new year and staying warm.

A few update shots before she was parked for the winter season.

Put the rear early style bumper on, still trying to decide how I want to run the front fender.

The xmas present

Chilling....literally!

The E30 has been parked for now. No use taking it out on the salty roads.

My E34 my mom has been DDing since she totalled her Nissan, I don't think she wants to give it back to me.

I picked up a 2001 540 E39 I will start working on next week. It needs some work on the cooling system.

I plan on installing a manual tranny in it when I get a chance, this spring.

Stocked up for the winter!!

January 26, 2011 04:32AM
Cool! Thanks for the update. I was thinking about your 2002 recently. You've done a fantastic job on the restoration! :thumbup:

January 26, 2011 06:25AM
Wow! That little beauty has come a long way from when you first got it thumbs up

That winter fuel looks like you'tr planning a for a long one smileys with beer
January 26, 2011 06:54AM
Nothing compares to a clean 02.
Good job!
:cool2:

Shouldn't you get your cars under shelter, with all that snow?
:blinkey:
January 26, 2011 05:47PM
If I remember correctly; he bought this '02' under similar conditions, so it is probably right at home :burnout:
January 27, 2011 10:04AM
Jose Pinto
Nothing compares to a clean 02.
Good job!
:cool2:

Shouldn't you get your cars under shelter, with all that snow?
:blinkey:

Shelter is expensive, and sometimes one must choose which the shelter, their car or themselves ;-)

What I wouldn't give for a garage, even if it was an open garage, as long as it had a roof to keep me and my workspace dry. As it stands, I have one side of a 40 foot evergreen tree, and that has it's own sets of cons sad smiley

The next place I rent/buy is going to have a garage, even if that means I'm sleeping in my living room and cooking in my bathroom.

January 27, 2011 10:10AM
Earendil

What I wouldn't give for a garage, even if it was an open garage, as long as it had a roof to keep me and my workspace dry. As it stands, I have one side of a 40 foot evergreen tree, and that has it's own sets of cons sad smiley
That sounds pleasant, as long as there's no rain or snow...
I know a person who builds cabinets, he may give you an estimate of something simple, say 5mx3m roof, 2m high from the floor...
Is more difficult/expensive to get covered parking in big cities, where a garage often costs more than a room!
January 27, 2011 03:14PM
Well the BMWs still get love even tho they are left outside this year, I clean the snow off them asap.

Im going to buy a cover next year for the 2002, or garage it. Its at my buddys house right now.

It kind of got stuck at his place, the shifter T-handle broke somehow and will not lift the selector over the ridge to put it from park to drive.

I figured if he didn't mind and its out of the way and safe. I needed a new shifter, and the part should be here today.

The E30 is sitting in my gated parking lot, and I clean the snow off it everyday.

This spring its going for a repaint, so I am keeping it off the road till the salty roads clear.

The battery for the E30 is in my living room, lol. The E34 is for sale, so my mom is driving it till she finds another car or it gets sold.

The E39 is waiting for a new battery, its dead in the driveway. I will do that tomorrow, weather permitting.
January 27, 2011 09:15PM

There is my Boxster under all that snow!! That is one of my cars, I have been totally neglecting...till the spring!!
February 04, 2011 08:08AM
The 2001 E39 540 project!

[i212.photobucket.com]

Needs a waterpump and some minor work. I am pumped cause its a BEAST!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login