Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picking up a 1975 2002 on Monday

Posted by JUMPNYC 
January 13, 2010 07:06PM
Anyone have any experience with these? Tips on what i need to do right away besides oil change?

I will post up pics next week.

Heres what I know so far, it has a blown automatic transmission (I have a replacement here to swap in asap),
20,000miles on a rebuilt engine with a new weber carb on it. Shock towers were redone recently, there is rocker panel rust on both sides I am going to replace those.

Besides this little project my E30 is running well, took it down to Miami from NY right before thanksgiving without a hiccup.

Hope all is well with everyone and wishing them a belated happy new year!
January 14, 2010 06:15AM
Cool! Can't wait to see the pics. I've always loved the 2002. They're like the grandfather to our E30s. I have no experience to offer, though, as I have sadly never had one. I just know that like most cars from that era, they are susceptible to rust, so be very wary about anything that looks like rust.

Someday I would still like to find one to play with, preferably rust-free one and with a manual tranny. But prices on these things aren't going down any more!

January 14, 2010 05:44PM
JUMPNYC

I will post up pics next week.

How about this week? Or now?

Yes, I'm impatient tongue sticking out smiley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 - E30 - M20 - Manual. Approximately 270,000 miles
2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approximately 110,000 miles
January 14, 2010 07:02PM
[i212.photobucket.com]

heres a pic of my E30 in Jacksonville when I stopped for a Whataburger. I will take pics of the 2002 next week, sorry for making you wait guys!
January 14, 2010 08:40PM
JUMPNYC
[i212.photobucket.com]

heres a pic of my E30 in Jacksonville when I stopped for a Whataburger. I will take pics of the 2002 next week, sorry for making you wait guys!

You're such a tease smiling smiley
But thanks for the hold over!

Side question: What wheels are those? Did you do the 5 lug conversation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 14, 2010 09:03PM
Nope I still rock 4x100, I have all the parts for the 5 lug swap but I have a couple of sets of 4x100 rims that still have plenty of meat on the tires.

That pic is with the 15" Style 10's they came stock on some on e30s I think they might have been off a 325IX.
January 14, 2010 09:38PM
Congrats!

When Rick(rkj) sees this post, he will be giving you lots of good advice; he's an old 2002 enthusiast and mechanic thumbs up
January 14, 2010 09:42PM
JUMPNYC
Nope I still rock 4x100, I have all the parts for the 5 lug swap but I have a couple of sets of 4x100 rims that still have plenty of meat on the tires.

That pic is with the 15" Style 10's they came stock on some on e30s I think they might have been off a 325IX.

If they came off an iX, they would be rubbing on the struts...the offset is huge compared to the regular E30.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen those wheels on an E30 as stock items; at least not in NA. It's possible they were optional items available for purchase though.
January 14, 2010 09:51PM
Wow it seems on this chart

[felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com]

that there were not more models of this type of rim produced. I could have sworn they came with the IX, but you are right the IX has a different offset.

Which wheels came on stock 325IX's? What was the offset they ran compared to the 325IC?

UPDATE:

BMW sytle 10 wheels 15x7, Made by Technocast in Italy for BMW as an optional wheel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 09:53PM by JUMPNYC.
January 14, 2010 10:02PM
I really want a set of 4x100 15" BMW wheels!

I always thought that the ix wheels would be a relatively quick replacement. Peter, you say the offset is way off between the two? Is it off in a direction that can be corrected for?

My understanding was that the ix was the only car that had 4x100 15" wheels. At least in any real quantity? I am soooo hijacking this thread...

January 15, 2010 05:03AM
Earendil
I really want a set of 4x100 15" BMW wheels!

I always thought that the ix wheels would be a relatively quick replacement. Peter, you say the offset is way off between the two? Is it off in a direction that can be corrected for?
The iX originally came with basketweaves just like all the other E30s, except they were 15x7, with a 41mm offset. So yes, you could theoretically put them on a regular E30 with the use of spacers. However, good luck finding some good ones. I've been looking for a good set to put on my iX for years. Occasionally you see them for sale, but IME every iX basketweave on the planet is bent. So if you do buy a set, you need to add the cost of straightening, which is about $100/wheel. And they will be bent! And if by some miracle someone finds a straight set, I call dibs! smiling smiley

January 15, 2010 02:12PM
Did someone say 2002, what do you want to know. Be careful with the wheels, larger wheels make that nifty little car steer like a truck, it is very sensitive to off-set and wide tires; my set-up was 175x60x13 on Tii wheels, those wheels were basketweaves but an older style that was an option on the 2002 Tii.

The problem with 13 inch tires is there's not much to choose from anymore, but the minute you put wide tires on them you've lost the beauty of the car. I worked for Bmw in 1971-73 and have owned 6 2002 cars, one 1973 Tii- one thing to worry about is RUST, rust, and did I mention rust!

I changed up to 325's because they're built a bit stronger and they did not rust so bad, I miss my 2002 but not all the little stuff I used to hate about them, small brakes, lower control arms .......... Good luck, I mentioned the rust, right?

Rick
January 16, 2010 08:53AM
Rick, you forgot to mention the overheating problems! Actually not really that serious a problem, but the radiator was sized very close to minimum.

I had an identical 1973 tii and shod it with 165-70 michelin AS tires on 13' rims. Loved the trailing throttle oversteer handling. I messed with plenty of pony cars in those days, and on twisty bumpy backroads, they were no match, in spite of their almost double the HP.

Salut, Bob p.
January 18, 2010 12:07PM
Ok got it back to my friends place so we can start tearing it apart.

heres some pics of the new baby

The M10 engine

New Shock Tower on left, one on right isnt bad at all

HERES THE RUST!!!

Spare/Replacement Door

In better shape than I thought, more pics to come soon!
January 19, 2010 12:25AM
JUMPNYC

Uhh - oh my god - smart women will swoon when the rust is gone! Keep smelling salts under the seat. Key word here is SMART women. If you don't like smart girls, buy a different car now! Chose wisely. The light blue color is stunning.

Best of Luck, Kelly
rkj
January 19, 2010 11:30AM
JUMPNYC

The M10 engine

New Shock Tower on left, one on right isnt bad at all

HERES THE RUST!!!

Spare/Replacement Door

Make sure the rear sub-frame mounts and surrounding area is solid (they always go there), the main bolt that holds the rear cross-member is under the rear seat, outboard, close to the inner side panel on the floor, its in a well.

Look under the car around where that bolt goes through; that's an important spot. In fact, that whole body is important to keep the car from flexing. I gave up on 2002's because I couldn't find clean ones anymore (and the Thirty's were better, not looking though!)

Throw the slush box out first thing and put a stick in there, you can do the five speed, the car needs another gear for sure...

Rick
January 19, 2010 05:54PM
Thanks for the compliments and tips! I think im going to keep it autotragic for now, if my wife learns to drive a manual I would go for the swap!
January 21, 2010 06:49AM
Now its in the garage, here a few more pics my friend took

rkj
January 21, 2010 02:33PM
JUMPNYC
Now its in the garage, here a few more pics my friend took

Fish bowl lenses' make me dizzy. I've got nothing against autoboxes but with a four banger there's nothing that makes that car less fun sad smiley

Good luck with it, keep that rust at bay!
January 21, 2010 03:44PM
JUMPNYC, how much time and money do you intend to put into a project like this?
I'm sure it all depends on the state of the car, or where you want the car to be at by the end.
A friend just saw the thread and asked me how much a project like that might "cost", and I didn't have an answer for him.

I can't wait to see how the car turns out smiling smiley

January 21, 2010 09:11PM
Well my budget was $1000, when its over it will probably be 10 times that. I will let you know as we progress.
The rust issue is already turning out to be a semi-nightmare, the passenger side has a big ass flintstones hole in the floor!
The rocker panels are FUBAR!!

I keep meeting good peeps with 2002's from the forums that are giving me hard to find parts for cheap (or even better FREE!)
Good friends with auto experience that work for beer helps, and make sure to be around to help with their rides too!
I am going to pitch in as much as I can, but I am working with enthusiastic car people and there is no time frame or pressure.
Just a bunch of motorheads that itch for the next project!! (Speaking of I have my eye on a VW convertible next).

I have stuff laying around from my E30 like BBS rims and other random stuff.
I just got a set Ireland engineering swaybars, strut bar, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, valve cover gasket, primer, rust stuff (POR-!5's Metal Ready, Eastwood Brushable Seam Sealer & Rust Encapsulator Kit) this stuff set me back like 900 bucks alone. So at this point we are getting close to 1800 without labor, or body parts

I need floorboards and passenger door, and rocker panels bad! this is going to be where the majority of the hard stuff is going to come in,
but hopefully the warm spring days will be here soon!! Until then i am on a parts hunt!

Also figure a couple of hundred to register, insure and inspect it!

The rust stuff from eastwood and this site:
[www.eastwood.com]
[www.por15.com]
[www.por15.com]
January 22, 2010 07:35AM
Are they making aftermarket body parts for these fine cars? I had a 2002, what great ride!!!

alan
rkj
January 22, 2010 11:15AM
alanrw
Are they making aftermarket body parts for these fine cars? I had a 2002, what great ride!!!

alan

A few companies used to make quite a bit of body work for the 2002's, Bav was selling stuff too but that was a while ago. The later cars will be easier to find sheet metal for, 74-76
January 22, 2010 12:25PM
Seeing that amount of rust, I'm getting more and more convinced that now is the right time to put my E30 to a retired state. Fix all issues before it gets too bad (some minor spots out of sight here and there).

Looks like a fun project, you'll definitely put more money in than you'll ever get out of it. Being busy and having fun may cost a bit. Driving it afterwards will make it all worthwhile.
Some styling elements on that car are still being used today. Can you believe?
January 23, 2010 01:35AM
s14 swap

January 31, 2010 05:23PM
Tranny is in! Floorpan ordered, video to come soon! BEER TIME! She needs a suspension now. Gonna attack the rust next weekend!
January 31, 2010 08:51PM
JUMPNYC
Tranny is in! Floorpan ordered, video to come soon! BEER TIME! She needs a suspension now. Gonna attack the rust next weekend!

Feels good when a plan starts to bear fruit doesn't it? smileys with beer
January 31, 2010 09:19PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[www.youtube.com] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="[www.youtube.com]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
February 18, 2010 08:04PM
The Parts Car!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[www.youtube.com] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="[www.youtube.com]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
February 19, 2010 06:37PM
With all due respect(and that isn't much) I saw a couple of morons showing complete disrespect for the dead.

Instead of destroying what life was left in that poor car; why wasn't it left to rust in pieces or put on a trailer?

Sorry but machine abuse doesn't sit well with me...even if that had been a Yugo or worse, a Ford!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login